Sign in to follow this  
DAVYPLAN

CL Site Videos

Hi 

Haven't posted on this site for quite a while.

When choosing CL sites over the years I've always wondered why so few CL site owners post photos of the sites to give a better impression when choosing. Over the past year or so I've started to make short films of the CL sites that we've stayed at. I'm up to eight videos so far with another almost ready to post so whilst it's not quite a comprehensive database but I plan to keep growing it and thought it may be of help to others on this site.

The videos are on YouTube and this is not a commercial venture just a hobby so no adverts.

Main channel link is https://www. youtube. com/channel/UCYcILHxaICWsek4wRalhBTw

CL Site playlist is https://www. youtube. com/playlist?list=PLJ0yfYrJ2uLJ-PbqsZMuc5p76O5niVztR

If you'd like to subscribe that would be great and "likes" are always nice to have but only if you do actually like the videos.

Also it would be really helpful to know what you would or would not like to see in a video about a CL site. For example do you want to see a shot of the chem disposal point or would you rather not :-) . Please also note I've deliberately NOT made these reviews just a hopefully honest depiction of the site and surrounding views shown as cinematically as possible.

Thanks

Dave

• Like 1

Great idea!  I do agree a photo paints a thousand words!

Dave

Might I suggest you post this on the CMC forum on the CL section. It seems to be a problem getting some CL owners to post pictures for some reason. I think the videos give a better idea than photos anyway.

David

Some years ago Armcher produced a host of DVD's covering CL's . Big problem they very soon became dated. I do believe some are still on their Amazon web site.  

Same thing for overseas sites, why do they put nice photos of the wildlife and sea views  etc but not one photo of the actual pitches, are they worried that they will not get visitors if they post them?? 

• Like 2

Great videos, gives a nice insight to the campsite. Personally I don’t book cl’s If they don’t have photos. If there too lazy to show customers what there “buying” why should I give them custom?

• Like 2

I have spoken to a few CL owners who say they have submitted pictures to the club and they do not get published.

Ian

It's a great idea, but, you must take into account GDPR & data protection such as revealing someone's number plate. The one I looked at seems ok, but I'm not a data expert.  

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Hairyspinner said:

It's a great idea, but, you must take into account GDPR & data protection such as revealing someone's number plate. The one I looked at seems ok, but I'm not a data expert.  

I do not see why some ones number plate would be an issue as it can be seen by anyone when travelling on the road, so not really effecting some ones privacy after all number plates are being recorded by many organisations when travelling on the highway

Edited by kiaboy
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, kiaboy said:

I do not see why some ones number plate would be an issue as it can be seen by anyone when travelling on the road, so not really effecting some ones privacy after all number plates are being recorded by many organisations when travelling on the highway

That's true but if the number plate is displayed in a private location - that perhaps their partner or employer have not been told of - there could be all sorts of repercussions :blush:  so probably best avoided :ph34r:

I think they are fantastic, bit arty perhaps but then that’s your hobby so can be forgiven.  Toilet emptying points should be included in the manner you already do.  More power to your elbow.

Re number plates.  Does not bother me one bit.  If you try to Google the legalities there is nothing concrete.  Some years ago Google Earth were taken to task, but before any legal proceedings Google wrote and  ran some expensive software which identified and blurred out numbers and faces.  

I wish that CMC and CCC were more hands on in this respect.  I mean persuading the owners to upload more pictures and videos.  The area inspector could be supportive in this respect, even take them when on a visit and publish with their report.  It really isn’t an onerous thing to do any more.  And it would provide a valuable service to members.  I know it would take a few years to make an impact but nothing ventured.

John

Great idea and well done. Only two points to raise, one is on the listing of the videos some of the films just have the site name and I could do with the location as well, and yes please I do want to see what the toilet disposal place is like.

2 hours ago, Gordon said:

That's true but if the number plate is displayed in a private location - that perhaps their partner or employer have not been told of - there could be all sorts of repercussions :blush:  so probably best avoided :ph34r:

I had to turn down the opportunity to give a fly fishing demonstration for the telly as I was at home sick :blush:

Hi Paul,

Brilliant idea. By the way the first CL is at LOUTH not Lough! WE stopped on this amazing CL for 10 weeks (on & off) whilst house hunting 6 years ago in Lincolnshire. Great 1. 56 mile walk into Louth + superb walking from the site.

p. s.   We finally found a great bungalow in Louth at a fraction of the cost we'd have paid in Lancashire.

Hi All

Thanks so much for the positive feedback and glad most of you liked the videos and thought they would be of use, it gives me some encouragement to keep doing them.

I'll try an answer each point raised and apologies if I miss anyone out.--
@Paul - Thanks for the spelling correction. I've just changed it so hopefully the people of "Louth" will put their pitchforks away. :-)
@HairySpinner - I don't think that number plates would be a GDPR issue (my son has specific knowledge of this area) as it's not really identifiable or private information. Nether the less as a rule I tend to avoid picking them up in fact if you check out the Smugglers Cove video I've actually blurred one number plate that was obvious. The ones you do see are likely to be mine or our friends.
@Klyne - I'll check out the CMC forum (didn't even notice they had one :-) ) thanks for the idea.
@David from Suffolk - I try to concentrate on things like the general layout and the views which should be fairly constant but I agree they will become naturally dated, can't really help that, but I do try and always put the month and year on for that reason.
@JCloughie - Yes I'm afraid they are a bit arty, the reason I started doing them was more for the film making as filming what is basically a field whilst trying to make it interesting is a challenge that hopefully helps me improve my video skills.

@LongTimeCaravaner - Great point you raise about adding the location, I'll go through the titles and add them soon. Also I'll try and make a point of chem disposal location whilst not making it too graphic (another film making challenge !).

Hopefully I'll have the next video (Mill Farm near Bury St Edmunds Suffolk) finished very soon and will post a link here when I do.

Thanks

Dave

• Like 2

Keep up the good work Dave, I found the videos all interesting. One thing that you may like to consider in a little more detail is the final approach to the CL site as it can be useful for visitors to know  exactly what kind of entrance they're looking for.

Something like this without the commentary Link (full videos available here)

Gordon

Davy, having reviewed all 8 videos, may I offer my thoughts?

Overall I think you’ve made a fine job and any of these would certainly be most helpful inselecting a CL to visit - a library of them covering the network would be a fantastic improvement although I recognise the size of the task and agree with other comments about the task of keeping them up to date. Nonetheless, you’ve taken the trouble to mark each with the year and that’s extremely helpful.

I too like to get a flavour of all the facilities on offer, chuck-it points and all and can happily forgive the rather arty feel and somewhat OTT music (for my taste; I’m sure many will really like it).

I particularly liked the (drone?) shots from overhead, but my one (hopefully constructive) criticism would be the jumping from one subject to another without an overview of the whole, which made it hard for me to work out what was where in relation to the entire site.

That one small criticism aside  I think your efforts are excellent and would encourage you to continue; the standard of photography impressed me greatly and I would certainly like the ability to identify a go-to website where I could check if you’d recorded a CL when I’m selecting from the book.

Fully agree with the comment above about lack of photographs discouraging a visit - I’d hope (if I was a CL owner) to be promoting my site and no pictures or endless closeups of daisies do nothing in that direction, imho. ..

Great work 👍

• Like 1

I remember a forum member used to do a CL site search thing that was excellent but he had to stop due to work load I think it was Scarsdale but I'm probable wrong :unsure:

Ninja Nick also did some brilliant site videos, I miss them too :(

That said, yours are a breath of fresh air to CL site searching :)

Hi All

Just posted another video of the Mill Farm site near Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk here.-

https://youtu. be/TuOBfTCeyCQ

@Gordon - Agree that final approach would be useful and the most recent one at Mill Farm has this. I tend to only add them if the approach from the main road is less than simple as I'm a bit mindful that approaches from further away may change (or I may have not taken the correct one in the first place :-) )

@Coriolis - Thanks for the kind comments, sorry the music was too much ;) . My drone is out of action at the moment and current legislation makes them problematic for posting but I will perhaps start to ask some CL owners if drone shots would be ok. I try to keep the shots in some kind of sequence, but sometimes my arty side takes over! I'll tray and work out a way of making general geography more understandable whilst maintaining the general feel.

@Paul_B - Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Thanks once again for all the positive feedback and I shall try and ensure I post links on this topic in future as another way of people to find them in one place.

Dave

If someone likes the sites you've videoed they can check out the approach with google street map so wouldn't worry too much about that, I always check the final approach with new sites.

• Like 1

Brilliant mate, love them. I think the suggestion about the approach is a good one, but in keeping with your theme maybe text rather than a commentary would be appropriate.  

Great job.

Revised the Mill Farm CL due to a problem with the original video. Link is now.-

really great idea. I watched CL Site - Smugglers Rock near Ravenscar Scarborough Yorkshire

It was not until 2. 07 that I got the sort of view of the CL I wanted but even then it was not 360 degrees.

For the most part I thought it was an advert .

As I said great idea but this one was more of an advert instead of informative.   There was information such as the entrance so I'm not saying it was not there

360 degrees so I can see the cl, 360 degrees so I can see the views.

no matter what it was nicely done, well done

macafee2

Edited by macafee2

Davyplan

I noticed you have not yet posted anything on the CMC forum. Would you like me to add the links to your YouTube channel for you?

David

Great idea Davyplan.   Just watched the Bennetts Wood Farm CL and Goldings.   Will watch the others when I get a chance.

Two comments.   If there is a toilet and shower that would be useful to film (inside if possible)?  There can be a big difference between a corrugated shed full of spiders and an annexe to the main house (both of which I have experienced).  I guess you would need the owner's permission.

What about if forum members make a quick video and send to you to edit and upload?  Obviously this would be fairly amateur but more CL site information the better.   We tend to visit areas in Wales and Central/Southern England.   We are planning a CL site visit in November just for a weekend so could film using my camera.    Obviously November filming may not show a site in the best conditions.

• Like 1