Hi, I am hoping that there is someone out there, who might be able to help?

I am alone in my caravan in France for the first time, (first time alone, not first time in France!). We have a Bailey Unicorn Valencia S2, which we have had since new. I am usually the one in charge of setting the Alde heating/water system, so am fairly used to it.

I am plugged into the mains electric on site and have been using my Alde heating on electric without issue. Until last night! Van started getting colder and colder. Long story short, I can get the heating to work on the gas but not the electric! Gas is expensive, electric is free! The panel shows the circle/arrows symbol, which usually indicates that the pump is working but no such luck. I have refilled the system with the glycol mix the service engineer left with me last year but I have no idea how to bleed the system, if that's what the problem is! Can  anyone help me out at all? 

Thanks in advance,

Julie

Have you tripped the electric on the site bollard? Are other mains devices working?

All other electric devices are working fine. The site bollard does trip quite easily, not sure on voltage but cant have many appliances on without it tripping. However, it is working at the moment!

By far the best thing you can do is ring Alde direct.  They are super at talking you through. Things on the phone and will know what to do.  First though check the trips in the van.  One may be only for the heating.  

Edited by Alan Stanley

Thank you, I might just do that!

I don't know if it helps. I was in a similar fix on a very cold Scottish site in April last year. Heating had been working fine previously. I did a reset on the Alde controller to reinstate factory settings. The system was then set for gas and I selected electric and all was then fine.  

The caravan was a 2012 model and so not the lateat Alde.

Before you phone Alde, you need to establish what wattage you are trying to run your heater on and what amperage your ehu is.  Clue 1kW equals 4amps (note to pedants as close as makes no difference!).  If it works on gas then the problem is not the glycol level or the circulation pump.   Have you checked that breaker in the van supplying the boiler hasn’t tripped?   

Finally I have no no idea what difference your gender makes to this problem but never mind.  

Its a well known fact that women feel the cold more ;)

• Like 1

If mains is getting to the system then there should be a plug with cable shown on the screen.

Ian

Thanks everyone, I shall try all of the above before I call alde.  

2 hours ago, Easy T said:

Its a well known fact that women feel the cold more ;)

Apparently this is actually true.  

Hello. Yes, as others have advised, can you verify:

Is your Alde control panel showing an electric plug symbol in the upper right corner?

What is the amp limit on your pitch?

What kW electric heating is your Alde control panel set to: Off, 1, 2 or 3?

Is there a fused spur/wall switch (should be rated 20 A), probably close to the Alde boiler, probably brown with an orange LED? Is it on?

Is the flippable circuit breaker for your heating (usually rated C16) in your caravan's consumer unit in the up or down position?

Is there a separate coloured blade fuse for the heating (could be 15 A-blue or 20 A-yellow)?

• Like 1

Just wanted to say thank you. I called Alde as advised and the chap was wonderful! Patiently talked me through resetting the system, which, I'm pleased to say, did the trick! No hot water bottle needed tonight.  

Thanks again

• Like 5

Alde certainly look after their customers, its a pity they don't make caravans.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul_B said:

Alde certainly look after their customers, its a pity they don't make caravans.

Agreed, they are excellent at providing help at very short notice, pity the manufacturers and dealers are not as quick off the mark to offer help and resolve problems as quickly. Top marks Alde.  

• Like 1

So pleased all is fixed and that Alde were able to guide you through the process. I visited the Alde Factory on a tour with the Coachman Owners Club at the end of August and they are very passionate about their business and customers. Well done Alde.