Thinking of a new tow vehicle

Yes Lee I have owned and drove T5s for over 10 years now there a great van my current highly blinged T5 is a 2015 2. 0tdi chipped to 175 and averages around 40mpg it's a great all round van very comfortable and smooth drive however 2 problems as a tow vehicle firstly reversing with van on is let's say challenging with lack of vision to rear also poor traction especially on a wet field ie CL sites. I've thought of swapping it for a 4motion model but low mileage clean used are like hens teeth to find. I'm looking at a new nissan navara as the softer rear coil springs make it a more forgiving when towing also they claim it returns 40mpg in the automatic version on paper it looks good we will see 

Don't quite understand the comment about being cramped, Navara has plenty of legroom front and rear with comfortable and supportive seats. I concur with the 40 mpg claimed, best we've seen so far is 48 (measured) on a long run solo, close to 30 mpg (measured) towing which is acceptable to me for a heavy vehicle towing a heavy van . I'll have another, probably with a Merc badge unless Nissan reintroduce the Pathfinder.

I would also consider the V6 VW Amarok for a good powerful towcar .

https://www. autocar. co. uk/car-review/volkswagen/amarok/first-drives/volkswagen-amarok-30-v6-2018-review

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Hi guys yes i have looked and test drove most of the available pickup trucks with the exception of the vw due to its cost ouch! and I have to say the navara is coming out on top for two main reasons firstly the rear suspension is coil spring which is far more forgiving on a caravan secondly as I would only use it 20% of the time (max) for towing I need a vehicle which returns a good mpg 80% of the time and the nissan we test drove was returning 40mpg others we tested 26 - 28mpg the nissan also has a 5year/100k warranty however this all of this doesn't make it any easier to finally pick up the courage to sell my beautiful T5 

The new Ssangyong Rexton pickup apparantly has coil sprung rear, well euipped and good warranty. I sa w  road test in a 4x4 magazine online.

Edited by DavS
  • Like 1

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

18 minutes ago, DavS said:

The new Ssangyong Rexton pickup apparantly has coil sprung rear, well euipped and good warranty. I sa w  road test in a 4x4 magazine online.

It gets a very good review in the CMC towcar of the year test (as does the Amorok).  the Mitsubishi does not.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Paul&Helena said:

Hi guys yes i have looked and test drove most of the available pickup trucks with the exception of the vw due to its cost ouch! and I have to say the navara is coming out on top for two main reasons firstly the rear suspension is coil spring which is far more forgiving on a caravan secondly as I would only use it 20% of the time (max) for towing I need a vehicle which returns a good mpg 80% of the time and the nissan we test drove was returning 40mpg others we tested 26 - 28mpg the nissan also has a 5year/100k warranty however this all of this doesn't make it any easier to finally pick up the courage to sell my beautiful T5 

The Navara a few years ago had a cam chain problem with them snapping and destroying the engine due to design issues and also the chassis was reported to be cracking .

https://www. parkers. co. uk/vans-pickups/advice/2017/nissan-navara-snapped-chassis/

The reason why I went for the Isuzu 

Google Navara timing chain issue .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

The issues were with the previous D40 model. NP300 has different chassis and Renault  drivetrain. Always thought the D40 was a better looking car though.

On 09/10/2018 at 11:00, CommanderDave said:

The Navara a few years ago had a cam chain problem with them snapping and destroying the engine due to design issues and also the chassis was reported to be cracking .

https://www. parkers. co. uk/vans-pickups/advice/2017/nissan-navara-snapped-chassis/

The reason why I went for the Isuzu 

Google Navara timing chain issue .

Dave

Yes Dave your comment on timing chain issues are correct and the new NP300 navara has a single timing chain setup which is disappointing however so do many of other vehicles we would be carrying out engine oil and filter change every 9K or 12 months whichever the sooner rather than the 18K/24 month service interval. I actually own an independent garage and we see lots of issues related to timing chains being honest mostly caused by poor servicing wrong grade & cheap oils etc etc vehicle we look after regularly haven't (touch wood) had any problems as for the chassis NP300 has a totally new chassis so fingers crossed that's sorted and on the plus side 5 year 100k whichever the sooner warranty.  at the moment it's still my first choice however still doing homework and haven't rulled out the options cheers for your input appreciated 

1 hour ago, Paul&Helena said:

Yes Dave your comment on timing chain issues are correct and the new NP300 navara has a single timing chain setup which is disappointing however so do many of other vehicles we would be carrying out engine oil and filter change every 9K or 12 months whichever the sooner rather than the 18K/24 month service interval. I actually own an independent garage and we see lots of issues related to timing chains being honest mostly caused by poor servicing wrong grade & cheap oils etc etc vehicle we look after regularly haven't (touch wood) had any problems as for the chassis NP300 has a totally new chassis so fingers crossed that's sorted and on the plus side 5 year 100k whichever the sooner warranty.  at the moment it's still my first choice however still doing homework and haven't rulled out the options cheers for your input appreciated 

The timing chain issue for the 2010 on was down to cost saving with reports of chains snapping on leaving the showroom's and Nissan offering a five year warranty to get over the problem . I took a nearly new vehicle out in 2012 for a test drive and it sounded like a bag of nuts and bolts in the front of the engine and being a exmechanic did a bit of checking .

Anyone with a noisey Navara chain should get it done asap as they will destroy the bottom end of the engine .

The NP300 is a totally different engine and shame not a V6 available .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto