Thinking of a new tow vehicle

Hi guys we are thinking of getting a pickup either a ford ranger 3. 2 or possibly a toyota Hi lux 3. 0 d4d any advice would be much appreciated 

OK, I'll admit to being biased. I have the new Navara, love it, recommend it. A Ranger owner would no doubt recommend the Ranger and likewise the Toyota. Thing to do is test drive each of them and any others that come to mind. Bear in mind that any of them will serve well as a tow truck and choose the one YOU like. Again, personal bias, think seriously about an auto option for towing. It has made my life soooo much easier.

Have a look at the Ssangyong Musso, new one has 7 year warranty. We have the older Korando sports and its great. Whatever you choose a pickup with hardtop makes a great tow car. Fwiw when and if you choose a hardtop get one with windows as ferry companies and the tunnel will treat it like a largs 4x4

Mercedes, Fiat, Mitsubishi, Isuzu, VW, Toyota, Ford, Ssangyong, Dodge, Nissan. .......... the choice of pick up these days is as long as a list of car makers.  

As said above find which one you like at the price you like.  

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Another vote for the Navara from me. I test drove most of them whilst choosing. Toyota and Mitsubishi far  too stiff at the back for a tow car, I liked the Ranger but being in the trade too many bad reviews to consider it although it was the most car like inside the pick up bed is slightly smaller than the Nissan/Mercedes. Also for a 3. 2 it didnt really go like a 3. 2, very noisy engine too.

'Ive had mine chipped which gives awesome pulling power while enhancing fuel economy solo. I'll def have another one as it hasn't missed a beat and was great on a long tow with my TA down to the Alps. Very comfy too but go for the auto as the 6 speed manual is a heavy shift. Having said that I can pull away from rest, with the van on the back without using any accelerator so no burning clutch issues!

Only negative has been the local dealer. Its had probably the only service it will have with me as I'll change it before the next one is due and they tried to rip me off charging me for parts they didn't fit.

I wanted a VW Amarok but the Mrs won’t let me buy a pick up, I think the Ford Ranger looks smart but from personal experience of the brand if you’re looking for reliability I’d go for the Mitsubishi.

Dodge RAM looks cool too, nightmare to park though I would imagine.

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

6 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I wanted a VW Amarok but the Mrs won’t let me buy a pick up. ......

Come on Borussia, yer a man or a mouse? ;)

• Like 1

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

9 minutes ago, Griff said:

Come on Borussia, yer a man or a mouse? ;)

Squeak 🐭

7 minutes ago, fred said:

Can you buy cheddar in Germany?

Yes :)

• Haha 2

Last week I was in the good old US of A, suffering death by PowerPoint, sorry I mean on a group meeting.  What several of us commented on was how few pickup trucks seemed to be about compared to previous years.  

In normal every day driving are pickups light at the back when unloaded?

Edited by nilrem77
9 minutes ago, nilrem77 said:

Yes (most can carry around 1 tonne), they tend to be a bit ‘bouncy’.

When I had the L200, if I left the back unloaded, I used to find that it would "chop" all over the road under hard acceleration, even when the road was dry.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

They all have their shortcomings so study form on the respective owners forums.
Most important: avoid ones with known DPF issues eg: Mitsi & Isuzi to name but two. The Mitsi L200 (2013) my daughter has is hard to fault EXCEPT for it's habit of polluting the engine oil with diesel (caused by incomplete or 'failed' PDF purges. This then requires more frequent oil changes (3-4K miles) to get rid of it & they don't come cheap! Doing a fast hard run doesn't always work & a replacement PDF is around £1. 5K!

All modern diesels may suffer from this as far as I know, but it's best to avoid the worst if possible. As a large (& relatively cheap) 4x4 they do take some beating.

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

If you’re using a T5 as a towcar, I guess you’re used to the poor ride of lightly loaded commercials.  

Personally, I find the Hilux unbearable, desperately cramped driving position and lack of adjustability, noisy and coarse engine with a terrible ride. My

limited experience of a Ranger is that they’re better in every respect, but I find all pickups harsh and crude compared to decent 4x4 SUV’s. If you’ve a need for a commercial vehicle, then they’re a tool to do a job. Would I choose one? Never.  

I have had both the Navara Aventura, and the Mitsubishi Animal in the past, as pool cars for work.

Of the two i preferred the Navara.

I have since taken up caravaning, and have bought a Jeep GC, whilst the pickups are good for workhorses, the Jeep knocks spots off them in terms of comfort & driving experience.

I guess it is whatever floats your boat as to which tow vehicle you will choose, but definitely look at the SUV market, not just the commercial vehicles.

They are called commercial for a reason.

Jeep Grand Cherokee, Coachman VIP 575, well behaved Rottweiler.

13 minutes ago, Grizzly Bathplug said:

the Jeep knocks spots off them in terms of comfort & driving experience

If you are talking about the Navara D40 (2004 onward) I would agree wholeheartedly.   The D23 Navara ( 2015 on) is a completely different and far superior vehicle in every respect.

7 hours ago, nilrem77 said:

Not the Navara. It's 5 link rear suspension as opposed to leaf springs, puts it in a different class in terms of ride and handling. Why do you think Mercedes adopted it as the basis for their new pick-up? 

Edited by Flying Grandad

The Jeep makes a good towcar.   Also they have improved their Warranty on new vehicles by bringing it in line with many of it's competitors.   5 years warranty is now becoming the norm.  

My brother is on his third pickup, it suits his job and they are great tow cars, practically speaking (chuck bikes etc in the back) and £ for £. If you are looking at older ones I'd stay clear of the Navarra, his didn't last long. You'll be popular too (people moving furniture etc!)

Personally, I can't see the attraction, unless you need the load bed (other than them being cheap, especially if it's a business purchase). I liked how they looked a couple of years ago but I think that might have been the novelty.  

They are bouncy and vague to drive. They are horrible to park. And every tow car review I've read hasn't been positive compared to the SUVs in the same weight class. I wouldn't be surprised if we've reached (or are near to) the peak of the market with some owners returning to smaller cars next time they change.

59 minutes ago, svimes said:

They are bouncy and vague to drive. They are horrible to park.  

I have to agree and add they usually have an uncomfortable driving position and cramped cabin due to the long load bed.   We have Ford Rangers and Mitsubishi L200's at work which are OK for what they are used for but if I need to do a longer drive in a company vehicle I'd rather take a Citroen Berlingo van.  

• Like 1

Yeti 2.0TDi DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Citigo ASG, Swift Challenger.

3 hours ago, micktheshed said:

Most important: avoid ones with known DPF issues eg: Mitsi & Isuzi to name but two. The Mitsi L200 (2013) my daughter has is hard to fault EXCEPT for it's habit of polluting the engine oil with diesel (caused by incomplete or 'failed' PDF purges. This then requires more frequent oil changes (3-4K miles) to get rid of it & they don't come cheap! Doing a fast hard run doesn't always work & a replacement PDF is around £1. 5K!

All modern diesels may suffer from this as far as I know, but it's best to avoid the worst if possible. As a large (& relatively cheap) 4x4 they do take some beating.

Old news. My first Mitsu ASX suffered this problem in 2010, along with many other makes.   It was cured by a simple engine management remap. Never had a problem since.

Mitsubishi ASX4

Interests, none worth mentioning. Just plain boring most of the time, and very boring the rest.

4 hours ago, micktheshed said:

Not all. Not a large 4x4 (though still a 4x4) but I put 70k on my Skoda Superb, and never had any DPF issues or problems caused by failed regenerations (which are not failed as in faulty, but failed as in didn't complete because you stopped the car) but its recently been replaced. Our other Skoda has only 38k but again no issues with that one. Only 3k on the new Skoda so hard to say.

3 hours ago, Flying Grandad said:

Not the Navara. It's 5 link rear suspension as opposed to leaf springs, puts it in a different class in terms of ride and handling. Why do you think Mercedes adopted it as the basis for their new pick-up? 

Mercedes have a partnership with Renault (smaller Diesel engines, technology and the smart/ twin go is the same car underneath) who own Nissan - pure economics.

• Like 1

Ok well thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions to be honest I'm on the fence I'm looking at a commercial vehicle as I own a business and the benefits are better providing the payload is over 1000kg. Now I'm leaning towards another Transporter the 4motion version the Transporter I have now tows our van fine as it's chipped to 175 the only concern is on a wet field it may struggle with traction been there before with a large autotrail motorhome not good. I guess we will stick to regular sites with hard standing until get sorted 

6 hours ago, Paul&Helena said:

Ok well thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions to be honest I'm on the fence I'm looking at a commercial vehicle as I own a business and the benefits are better providing the payload is over 1000kg. Now I'm leaning towards another Transporter the 4motion version the Transporter I have now tows our van fine as it's chipped to 175 the only concern is on a wet field it may struggle with traction been there before with a large autotrail motorhome not good. I guess we will stick to regular sites with hard standing until get sorted 

Make sure you have an extended test drive in any pickup. For me a Transporter is far more comfortable with a far better driving position. I could drive a Transporter all day. Two hours in a Ranger and I'm crippled.

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Citigo ASG, Swift Challenger.