Sign in to follow this  
stevew1

CAMC new phenomenon?

Caravanning has become too popular. The reason we are all being ripped off with high prices and poor quality from inefficient industries is because the managers of these companies know it doesn't matter when the business is flooded with customers. the customers will stand for anything.

Bad manners by people who shouldn't be caravanning is another sure indication of our hobby becoming too popular.

I know some people are fed up of the older generation harping on about how it used to be but, campers used to be friendly and courteous. We brought our kids up camping and caravanning and they learned how to share the surrounding with others. Its a shame that the hobby has been so spoiled by selfish and rude people.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Unless the club issue pitch numbers how do you stop it ?

Dave

But why don't they?

• Many (most?) commercial sites book by pitch numbers
  • I don't think I have ever seen queues at the earliest arrival time when pitches booked.
  • You can arrive early evening at your leisure without 'worry' about pitch availability/size/location etc.

It may be just my experience and, therefore, not generally the case but most commercial sites tend not to have such a significant influx of weekenders which may militate against pitch booking?

• Like 1

I can't think of a reason why private sites (the Club sites are still commercial) would not have an influx at weekends.

Generally, sites that allocate pitches have to have the staff available to accompany you to the pitch. I've never been sure if that's to make sure you actually find it, or that you don't slope-off to another pitch on the way in. I would guess that at big sites at busy times queues can build up waiting for the 'guide' warden. Personally I quite like choosing our pitch, though often it's Hobson's choice as we tend to turn up late afternoon.    

2 minutes ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

I can't think of a reason why private sites (the Club sites are still commercial) would not have an influx at weekends.

Generally, sites that allocate pitches have to have the staff available to accompany you to the pitch. I've never been sure if that's to make sure you actually find it, or that you don't slope-off to another pitch on the way in. I would guess that at big sites at busy times queues can build up waiting for the 'guide' warden. Personally I quite like choosing our pitch, though often it's Hobson's choice as we tend to turn up late afternoon.     

Different experience SDA.   Only one site I can think of where I was shown to my pitch (Ladycross nr Whitby) with all the others (many cos I rarely use club sites) showing you your pitch on a map copy which you take with you.   Incidentally I always consider commercial orgs as those whose primary aim is to make a profit rather than provide a service.

Seems the CMC are making a rod for their own back and allowing poor behaviour to be perpetuated simply by not allocating slots before arrival - I’ve never had an issue with a ‘poor’ spot but perhaps that is also something that’s an issue on CMC sites.

24 minutes ago, SamD said:

Incidentally I always consider commercial orgs as those whose primary aim is to make a profit rather than provide a service.

IMO, that includes the C&MC, the profit being retained to subsidise other loss-making activities

Both main 'clubs' work to make profits to plough back into capital projects like purchasing extra capacity and improving existing assets i.e sites. 'Private' sites work to make profits to plough back into capital projects and to also pay a dividend to the owners. 

It's childish and one of the many things that puts me off CMC club sites (the others being cost and petty regulation).

My experience of club sites is that over 50s are very much in the majority, even more so when you consider the early arrival problems. So, if this is a new phenomenon of selfish behaviour, it seems to be starting with the generations they we are told know better.

7 minutes ago, svimes said:

It's childish and one of the many things that puts me off CMC club sites (the others being cost and petty regulation).

My experience of club sites is that over 50s are very much in the majority, even more so when you consider the early arrival problems. So, if this is a new phenomenon of selfish behaviour, it seems to be starting with the generations they we are told know better.

If over-50's are "very much the majority" then you're bound to notice them more, whatever they do.

I've never been keen on C&MC club sites for the same reasons as you

Been to many a foreign site where we have been allocated or even chosen upfront our pitch, last time was given a map and the choice I could be led or find it myself.  

Joined the CCC last year as we got two nights free so it paid for the membership only been to one so far but four wardens had it all wrapped up and I was given a choice of pitch. Off to try another CCC site, soon. What I'm quickly starting to like is the pre allocated pitch. It just saves this problems and as someone mentioned above would prevent the before midday gang.

I'm also in the camp that the majority of people on CAMC sites are in the 50 plus bracket even when we went during school holidays it was fifty fifty Though I put that down to the lack of facilities not attracting families.

My two weeks in France this year cost me £775 with ferry to Cherbourg, family of 4. We nearly had to abandon due to family illness so I priced Loe club site as an emergency call back. The same two weeks came in at just over the £600 pound mark with nowhere near the facilities our French site had. But I digress.  

Edited by Jiffy176
  • Like 2

This posting just reminded me why we haven't used Club sites for years and stick to CL sites!

• Like 3

I can't say I've ever come across petty regulation, though lots of folk quote it as an issue.

My main bugbear is that they squeeze too many pitches in to a site, which presumably yields marginally more income, but also leads to there being issues about van positioning to avoid contravening fire regs etc.

• Like 1

In recent times on some Club sites when arriving after the midday rush the Warden will sometimes provide me with site map with vacant pitches marked on it.

One of the many differences between a Club site and the last site I stayed at, an Affiliated Site masquerading as a Club site, was that the pitch was chosen before I arrived and I was guided to it by one of the grounds staff. It was a terraced site with good inland views but due to the layout of the pitches I was unable to turn my caravan to benefit from the front window view.   The view from the front window was of another outfit at close range, who presumably had a similar view of my outfit.

There other differences between an Affiliated site and a Club owned site that makes me wonder how the Club can claim to have more than 2500 Club sites which in aggregate produce zillions of pitch nights. There are approximately 150 Club, owned, leased or managed under contract, sites.

On 29/09/2018 at 14:00, Borussia 1900 said:

We were in a massive queue outside the Salvador Dali museum in Figures once, we’d be queuing with everyone else for about an hour, we were just about at the door and this rude American family turned up, pushed right to the front, blatant as you like. A French guy tried to explain there was a queue and they were pushing in, to which the Yank said he didn’t care he wasn’t queuing. I flipped out (it wasn’t long after I’d come back from Iraq so I wasn’t at my calmest), I said ‘you’ve got 2 options mate, go to the back of the queue like everyone else or I’ll batter you and you can go to hospital’. He went to the back of the queue.

I’ve calmed down these days, I’m much more relaxed about this sort of thing now :)

Well done for defending your family, a pity another bloke didn't back you up, I know I would've done right away.

It's the same ethos adopted by those who push in a line of stationary traffic and try to barge in right at the death.

I just drop my van window and lean out "it'll  be an expensive paint job unless you get in line right now"

We've seen all manners of rude behaviour at Caravan Club sites in the past 12 year's, although luckily most seasoned wardens can spot them a mile off as they've seen all the low tricks being pulled previously and deal with them.

1 hour ago, Black Grouse said:

If over-50's are "very much the majority" then you're bound to notice them more, whatever they do. 

Yes, obviously. I'm a little uncertain as to the point you are making?

On CMC sites we’ve used in recent years the warden has provided a plan with available pitches highlighted with marker pen. ‘Pitch yourself and tell us where you are.’   You then get the barrier fob and/or loo key.  On CCC sites it’s more usual to be guided to an available pitch suitable for your outfit, this is because pitch sizes vary to accommodate the likes of huge tents at one end of the scale and titchy Motorhomes at the other.

I have no doubt that grabbing pitches and jumping queues happens occasionally.   But I have never come across it. That's in 36 years of caravanning.   I just find the majority of folk friendly and helpful.

This even applies to continental sites.   Once we went to Iisle D'Offard at Samur.   There was about 10 new arrivals so I joined the queue.   We went into the reception and it was like a long bar.   No queuing organisation so we just had to speak to the next receptionist available.   We had no problem in staying in order, just didn't know what the order was.

When we got back to the car we just waited until it was our turn to go through the barrier.   We thought the process was very hap-hazard.   But it seemed to work.   There was no choice of pitch, we just got what we were given.

For most of our foreign trips we were with another van.   In the school holidays we always booked ahead.   We only once had a problem booking adjacent pitches.   That was at the poshly named Prague Yacht Club site.    Although they promised us two pitches we ended up squeezing into unmarked pitches only to upset some Germans when they returned with their motorhome.   we felt bad, but it was really down to very poor site organisation.

For the most part I don't have a problem with how pitches are allocated on CMC sites, but if I wanted to come as a pair I would like to be able to book two adjacent pitches rather than take pot luck.

John

2 hours ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

I can't say I've ever come across petty regulation, though lots of folk quote it as an issue.

My main bugbear is that they squeeze too many pitches in to a site, which presumably yields marginally more income, but also leads to there being issues about van positioning to avoid contravening fire regs etc.

The standard width of club site pitches increased more than once, which is why EHU bollards aren't always in the obvious place - it's outside the Club's control that the use of awnings has changed from minority to majority, cars, caravans and awnings have got wider and fire safety guidelines have been revised - so pitches are now squeezed to the minimum.

5 hours ago, SamD said:

But why don't they?

• Many (most?) commercial sites book by pitch numbers
  • I don't think I have ever seen queues at the earliest arrival time when pitches booked.
  • You can arrive early evening at your leisure without 'worry' about pitch availability/size/location etc.

It may be just my experience and, therefore, not generally the case but most commercial sites tend not to have such a significant influx of weekenders which may militate against pitch booking?

They used to Sam, but members wanted to pick their own as some though the wardens were saving the best pitches for friends and family, the deposit system also went at the same time as members wanted to be treated as adults.

It wasn't a bad system as they asked if you had dogs, kids etc and would you prefer to be nearer the playpark or the dog walk, or the toilets.  

For the most part I don't have a problem with how pitches are allocated on CMC sites, but if I wanted to come as a pair I would like to be able to book two adjacent pitches rather than take pot luck.

Pitches are not allocated on CaMC sites. After booking most sites admit the outfit to the site for the driver to circulate looking for a suitable vacant pitch.

Pitches cannot, under the site rules, be pre-booked with the obvious exception of pitches for members with disabilities and only where such pitches are available. It means that everyone has to take pot luck where they able to pitch.

My eldest daughter and husband joined me at Clumber Park with their caravan and it was fortunate that an adjacent pitch was unoccupied when they arrived. I had discussed the situation with a warden who suggested that I pitched my caravan in the middle of three adjacent pitches which he assured me were the most unpopular pitches on the site.

49 minutes ago, Paul_B said:

They used to Sam, but members wanted to pick their own as some though the wardens were saving the best pitches for friends and family, the deposit system also went at the same time as members wanted to be treated as adults.

It wasn't a bad system as they asked if you had dogs, kids etc and would you prefer to be nearer the playpark or the dog walk, or the toilets.  

"thought that wardens were saving the best pitches" - still easy to do by coning off a pitch as unusable - I've had that done for my benefit though, as Rosedale Abbey used to be advertised as having no EHU but in fact had a small group by the warden's compound - that was also the days when a warden could book you in for 21 days and then extend it later!

The standard width of club site pitches increased more than once, which is why EHU bollards aren't always in the obvious place - it's outside the Club's control that the use of awnings has changed from minority to majority, cars, caravans and awnings have got wider and fire safety guidelines have been revised - so pitches are now squeezed to the minimum.

This distance between units malarkey seems to be a very British H&S issue, I’ve pitched centimetres away from other caravans in Germany, France, Holland, Luxembourg, Spain and Belgium, nobody appears to give a hoot

Edited by Borussia 1900

"thought that wardens were saving the best pitches" - still easy to do by coning off a pitch as unusable - I've had that done for my benefit though, as Rosedale Abbey used to be advertised as having no EHU but in fact had a small group by the warden's compound - that was also the days when a warden could book you in for 21 days and then extend it later!

I remember it well, those few pitches were reserved for those with medical needs which required power, if any spare it was first come first served. 

Mostly hard standings and all electric these days, even the local pub has upped its game, much more welcoming, good beers, friendly staff and free Wi-Fi.

The best system I've come across is the one used at Trewethett Farm C&MC clubsite in Cornwall.

On arrival the outfits are queued, and they book you in at reception in that order.

Then, because of the site layout (with many terraces and culs-de-sac) it's not possible to do a drive round.  So you are given an 18" length of drainage pipe and you go walkabout to find your pitch, which you reserve by pacing the pipe over the peg. Then back to reception to tell them the pitch number and pick up your outfit.

Works a treat!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

The best system I've come across is the one used at Trewethett Farm C&MC clubsite in Cornwall.

On arrival the outfits are queued, and they book you in at reception in that order.

Then, because of the site layout (with many terraces and culs-de-sac) it's not possible to do a drive round.  So you are given an 18" length of drainage pipe and you go walkabout to find your pitch, which you reserve by pacing the pipe over the peg. Then back to reception to tell them the pitch number and pick up your outfit.

Works a treat!

In 2017 we were all stuck behind some muppet for nearly an hour, they parked their motor home in front of the entrance barrier and strolled around the site.

• Haha 1