Sign in to follow this  
DavidandSally

Transporter T5 Panel van 2013 102ps

Please can anyone help?

If anyone has towed approx  1600kg  caravan 7. 6 metres ( Bailey Pegasus Bologna Series 2)with a Transporter T5 Panel Van 102 ps before and found it perfectly safe please can you let know.

We own the van anyway and have put a deposit on a caravan but can't find any info whether it is ok. Not overly worried about speed, more will it pull ok if a bit slowly. We want to take a long trip to Southern Spain through France and take our time next month then stay until March.

We have so many other questions but this is our main one.

Thanks

David and Sally

I don't know if this is relevant to you my SWB transit 96ps can tow 2500kg. I find it much more comfortable towing my 1500kg Valencia than my previous Mondeo.

Thank you oldboy yes very as the Transporter can tow 2800 and will be loaded up quite a bit. Do you ever tow with no weight in the back of the Transit ? As when picking it up I thought it would be better with a bit of weight in the back.

Great to know though thank you.  

Sorry I meant carry a maximum load of 2800kg.

It can tow trailer with brakes 1800 so a bit close to the 85% rule as the caravans total max weight loaded is 1670kg and unloaded 1495kg.

Edited by DavidandSally
Said wrong thing about weights etc

On the road my transit feels fine towing the caravan even when it's empty. Only problem I have found is there is no grip on wet fields. ..it even gets stuck without the caravan. Put some weight in the back and it will go through pretty much anything.

I only carry stuff needed for caravanning so no much heavy stuff in the back still a nice drive.

1 hour ago, DavidandSally said:

so a bit close to the 85% rule

It is not a Rule, it is not a legal %, it is a number plucked out of the air many moons ago by the clubs, before the advent of modern motors and is a guide for new caravanners, but it most certainly is not a Rule.

As a rough guide: calculate your actual train weight (in Tons), That is the weight of your Transporter loaded as you intent for caravanning, plus the weight of the caravan including what is going in it for the trip. For this exercise ignore the legal limits . Now divide 102 by the result in tons. You are looking for around 40 bhp per ton for a comfortable tow. Legally you can tow up to the Transporter's GTW (Gross Train Weight), but the engine might be struggling.  

Edited by Flying Grandad

Thank you so much everybody, starting to put my mind at ease.

So Flying Grandad calculation is approx 2100 kg for the van and 1600 kg for the caravan which gives 3700 tonnes divided by 102 is 36bhp per tonne so a bit under. Can get the van chipped to 140bhp but have read problems with 5 speed gearbox so would rather leave that option alone.  

David and Sally

As we are complete novices but really want to do the trip down to Spain in Late October/ November do people ever get together and go as group ? Have joined the caravan club and will speak with them too but loosing sleep worrying about all the things to sort out. The weight things taken me the best part of day! 

David and Sally, a mate of mine tows his twin wheel van with his T5 camper van and says its one of the best tow vehicles he has had, in fact he prefers it to his X5. So you can stop worrying about that one and start pondering how much wine you can fit in a T5!!

Enjoy your trip

The 85% recommendation is based on the Kerbweight of the van (i.e it's empty weight) and the maximum loaded weight of the caravan i.e its MTPLM. Being a T5 means the kerbweight might be hard to ascertain as it's no longer featured in VW brochures or websites.

With a quick Google I can't find VW T5 kerbweights, but the Ford Transit Custom Panel Van 290 L1H1 100PS weighs 1817kg which should be there or thereabouts.

The calculation would be 1817kg (Van Kerbweight)/1670kg (Peggy 2 Bologna MTPLM) x 100  = 92%

More weight in the back of a van can lighten the front (driving) wheels which can mean lack of traction on wet and slippery surfaces and on pulling away uphill, though a load spread well over the van floor can make it feel better 'planted' on the road. With the caravans noseweight already pressing on the rear suspension there's always going to be some element of tail heaviness. 

Thank you again

The van kerb weight is 1882kg (took me a while to find it) and the caravan 1670 ( as you say) so 88%.

Thanks re advice about loading, especially the wine!

Cheers all.  

88% and 36 bhp/ton sounds eminently do-able. It won't be the quickest rig on the road, but it'll get you where you want to go (maybe with a few more gear changes). You'll be fine.

So having, hopefully, put your mind at ease, the next question is, where to?  Any tentative itinerary? If you're leaving next month, I would suggest you don't spend too long in France: it will start to get cold. At that time of year, booking ahead will not usually be necessary.   Are you aware of ACSI? If not, check out the ACSI Club Card discount scheme. You'll find it worthwhile on the trip down.  

Going across by tunnel and then to Plevin in Brittany as my brother lives there. Will stop over on route just above Rennes somewhere. Then after a couple of days set off down the West Coast and stop a couple of times poss Ile de Re.

Then into Spain and making various stops along the way down to the South. Not sure where at the moment but Torrox looks nice.

The insurance for this trip is huge as my van insurer want £660 on top of what I have already paid for fully comp plus Red Pennent (which would seem to be the best) want £550 breakdown and insurance. Is this about right? Can't go third party on the van, too risky.

Cheers

David and Sally

Oh sorry thank you Flying Grandad. Finally 1 less thing to worry about.

Re your insurance if there more than 3 months left on the policy it might be best to cancel it and look for a quote somewhere else.

Just a thought - you have got a B+E Driving Licence 'cos if you have 'B' only you'll be running a 4470kg rig and the 'B' maximum is 3500kg?

Oldboy post : I did think about but I thought by the time they took their charges off for this that and the other I will get nothing back.   I reckon I wouldn't get it much cheaper than £660 anyway. nI will get some quotes though thank you.

Steamdriveandy post : yes ref license ok as passed in 1980 and  it's on after 1st Jan 1997 to tow max 3500 thank you

Edited by DavidandSally
Spelling

Also worth remembering that the 40bhp/ton recommendation was made in the days of normally aspirated petrol vehicles and for road cars.

Vans tend to have much lower gearing than family cars and turbo engines have more torque.

Wouldn't be the fastest outfit on the road but adequate.

On 26/09/2018 at 17:36, DavidandSally said:

Going across by tunnel and then to Plevin in Brittany as my brother lives there. Will stop over on route just above Rennes somewhere. Then after a couple of days set off down the West Coast and stop a couple of times poss Ile de Re.

Then into Spain and making various stops along the way down to the South. Not sure where at the moment but Torrox looks nice.

The insurance for this trip is huge as my van insurer want £660 on top of what I have already paid for fully comp plus Red Pennent (which would seem to be the best) want £550 breakdown and insurance. Is this about right? Can't go third party on the van, too risky.

Cheers

David and Sally

Oh sorry thank you Flying Grandad. Finally 1 less thing to worry about.

Cancelled existing insurance got £85 back took out new with Admiral and costing a total inc extra 84 days over the 90 you get anyway £429 fully comp.  saved about £300 

You need to check the weights on the Vin plate as vans I have owned the weights quoted are based on an empty van and any weight carried is deducted off the towing allowance . You either pull the or carry it but not both .

Even my Fiat Ducato now the towing allowance is dependent on the GVW .

Dave

I've had two T4's towing a twin axle for over 8 years, very good tow vehicles, as yours is only 4 cylinder it will lack pulling power. I had a Caravelle and a Mulitvan the auto gearbox was a problem with one until I fitted a cooler.

If your happy with that then you should be fine.

Sadly VW only put the 4 cylinder in these vehicles which is a shame, as I would go back to one, much better driving position.

Hi David & Sally

We also have a T5 we are using as our tow vehicle it too was the 102ps version we had ours chipped to 175ps before we even thought of buying a caravan anyway the only problems we have encountered are. Poor viability when reversing ( we have no window in rear) and poor traction on say a CL site not helped by massive wide tyres 275/40/20 they tend to float on the soft stuff  other than that's it's a great tow vehicle although recently we have been looking to replace it with a ford ranger nissan navara etc but having road tested most pick up trucks I'm not so sure anymore I mean really how can you not have a transporter in your life? anyway nice to catch up with a fellow T5 & caravan combo enjoy

In my opinion, with limited towing experience, the 102 bhp 5-speed is a better tow vehicle that the 140 bhp 6-speed.

We have a fair few Transporters and find the 5 speed is a better drive.

Russ