Sign in to follow this  
GaryB1969

Kia Ceed detachable towbar problem

My parents have just purchased a 2013 Kia Ceed 1. 6 CRDi, one owner, 45,000 miles.   The car came with a detachable towbar that the previous owner had fitted with new, it has a "Kia" logo on the towball cover so it was probably dealer-fitted on delivery.   The towbar was stored in the boot on delivery.

I've just been round to show them how to fit it and I have a problem.

It has a thumb-wheel on the right hand side, in the centre of this is a key-lock.   The edge of the thumb wheel has an arrow pointing downwards, the top of the towbar engages with a socket under the bumper and from what I can see, rotating the thumb wheel retracts two pins at the top which engage with the towbar socket.   I tried to do this and the tow bar is in place, BUT it won't come off!  The key lock also will not turn, making me think that the towbar isn't quite locked in place and is somehow stuck.

Can anyone advise?  I jumped on it so it isn't likely to fall off, but obviously isn't "right" and needs addressing before they tow the caravan.   It also needs to come off so it doesn't interfere with the parking sensors.   Photos attached of this.

IMG_4790.JPG

IMG_4792.JPG

Having just looked at the arrow on the thumb wheel again, do you have to pull it out while rotating it?  That's about the only thing I didn't try!

If it's like the Landrover removable tow bar you have to unlock it, pull the wheel outwards and only then turn. The arrow in your picture looks like it's suggesting something similar.

They are all similar.   Either push in and rotate or pull out and rotate.   (The lock often prevents the depress/pull out bit.)

The arrow suggests to me:  Pull out and rotate anticlockwise in the direction of the arrow.

I believe it's a Westfalia tow bar which requires the knob to be pulled out & rotated whilst still being held out. It should lock open when the knob has been fully rotated. Refitting without the knob being in the locked open position will not allow the key to be removed as the bar will not fully engage. If the key cannot be removed the bar is not fully located. I had this same difficulty with the bar on my Santa Fe also a Westfalia. There are videos on YouTube showing the procedure.

Edited by HCB

As others have said, you need to pull it outwards and rotate at the same time.

Once it's rotated enough (quote a rotation) then it will lock open, then the bar can be removed.

Thanks everyone, bar now removed.  

• Like 1