Sign in to follow this  
Durbanite

e-Bikes - The new silent killer!

52 minutes ago, springtime said:

Go for it, it’s not difficult taking an afternoon or less to fit as said you’re legally restricted to a 250 watt motor with pas.

Whatever that means continuous, time related or absolute peak? 

That's an absolute can of worms, needing a statutory definition that the DM overlooked as best I recall from reading it. ;)

I would recommend you look at the crank drive change out kits out there, interesting project, one with the chance to play with the thing afterwards.

9 minutes ago, JTQ said:

I would recommend you look at the crank drive change out kits out there, interesting project, one with the chance to play with the thing afterwards.

I've wondered about doing this, SWMBO won't cycle any longer but would consider an e-bike. Does the chain life suffer because of the extra torque with e-assistance?

BIL bought a Gtech bike which I tried and it seems OK, but based on that trial doubt the range would be enough.

23 hours ago, Gordon said:

I am thinking primarily of what is effectively an electric wheelchair,

That's a Class 2 Invalid Carriage (the official name for them in Law, still).  

Manual wheelchairs are Class 1 Invalid Carriages.

Those using the motorised wheelchairs you are thinking of are generally unable to walk much, if at all. The Highway Code is clear enough that they should use the path when available (note should, not must). 

BUT have you ridden up and down some of the <not so>dropped curbs on these devices?  They can jolt/jar the user quite badly, giving pain;  some can even get stuck due to their anti-tip features and lose drive.   Perhaps that's a reason the user feels they have to drive along your road rather than the pavement? (avoiding potholes and drain covers, too).  Maybe they have to do so just to avoid cars parked on the pavements?

As to essential or not: 

Who willingly pays many hundreds or even thousands of pounds for a mobility scooter, just for the fun of it? 

1 hour ago, TinShack said:

I've wondered about doing this, SWMBO won't cycle any longer but would consider an e-bike. Does the chain life suffer because of the extra torque with e-assistance?

BIL bought a Gtech bike which I tried and it seems OK, but based on that trial doubt the range would be enough.

No direct experience of chains in this electric bike context, ours is a Gates belt drive to a Nexus 8.

However, unless your good lady is going to  hammer things, not the picture I envisage, then whether the chain carries the power from a motor or a vigorous bloke on the pedals matters not.

Its loading and hence wear is related to the vigour the bike is accelerated and speed it is ridden at, not the power source.

If deraillier I would lean to a more modest set of ratios, as given the motors contribution a lot of ratios are less "needed", and keeping low allows a more robust chain.

We have gone belt largely to avoid dirty oily chains, gears etc when manhandling the heavier bike into the car, and to be more compassionate to the hub gear by that small bit of compliance.  

4 minutes ago, lowedb said:

New rules are coming for e-vehicles, where they have to have an e-sound. The EU has introduced them back in 2014, but it seems the UK has decided they aren't needed. So who knows what the UK will do.

https://en. wikipedia. org/wiki/Electric_vehicle_warning_sounds

Never had a problem with these as a kid. :P

4967-tm_home_default.jpg.9525588afcff289b22fc3db0faf66a65.jpg

I could bungee our bluetooth speaker to the bars and get that blasting out high bass music from my phone; then there would be complains they could hear me coming not that they could not!

14 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

Never had a problem with these as a kid. :P

4967-tm_home_default.jpg.9525588afcff289b22fc3db0faf66a65.jpg

I used part of a cigarette card. Unfortunately it was positioned where it undid and removed the tyre valve and deflated tyre. :angry:

1 minute ago, DeeTee said:

I used part of a cigarette card. Unfortunately it was positioned where it undid and removed the tyre valve and deflated tyre. :angry:

Wrong side of wheel, but you learnt no doubt?

46 minutes ago, JTQ said:

Wrong side of wheel, but you learnt no doubt?

It is still etched into my memory such that I could take you to the spot where the tyre deflated 70 years. ;)

10 hours ago, JTQ said:

We have gone belt largely to avoid dirty oily chains, gears etc when manhandling the heavier bike into the car, and to be more compassionate to the hub gear by that small bit of compliance.

Have you posted details about your conversion? I would be interested to hear more about it.

9 hours ago, TinShack said:

Have you posted details about your conversion? I would be interested to hear more about it.

No, our belt drive hub geared e-bike had for medical reasons to be a deep step-through, so was not a conversion of any of my wife's crossbar bikes, but a new purchase.

However, these are the kits I have and continue to be taking an interest in to convert one of my road bikes. I have yet to move on this, but feel it could be fun since being so impressed with my wife's e-bike.

http://wooshbikes. co. uk/?cdkit

Edited by JTQ

You may find this link useful 

As my wife is starting to struggle with the off road stuff keeping up with me on my Volt Alpine, I have talked her into and ordered her a LIV Intrigue E+ 2 Pro  full suspension job.

LIV are Giant's range of women specific eBikes.

Hope she likes it!!

Another potential silent killer?....yaaaaawn.

I used to like the push bikes with the 2 stroke engines on the back wheel, but I never got chance to have a go :(

We have a few electric type that pass our house which seem to be good, one is the older twistgrip type and that can shift a bit :o

Sign in to follow this