Sign in to follow this  
Durbanite

e-Bikes - The new silent killer!

Seems e-bikes can be killers.   If this is an issue with e-bikes, will it be even worse with EVs?

1 minute ago, Durbanite said:

Seems e-bikes can be killers.   If this is an issue with e-bikes, will it be even worse with EVs?

Why blame e-bikes, a standard push bike is silent too, more likely she didn't look!

All the claims in the article can equally be applied to e-bikes and push bikes and both are capable of speeds in excess of 15.5 mph, at least the e-bike is restricted, where as a pedal cycle isn't.

One more mode of transport demonised by the press!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Firstly it's the daily mail, so it's an article full of the usual stirring rubbish the daily mail usually prints. Everything they print needs to be fact checked before being believed since most of it is categorically wrong.

Secondly, e-bikes are a great way to get round, they are getting people moving, exercising and reducing congestion. If someone is overweight and feels they couldn't commute by normal bicycle, so would have to take their car. Instead with the help of an e-bike that car isn't needed and they are able to manage the gentler exercise.

The EU has strict laws on e-bikes. The motors cut out at 15. 5mph, they do not have a throttles so only work as an assist to pedal power and are limited to 250w (i believe). The article fails to mention that these limits are EU law since it's so anti-EU.

DIY e-bikes are a different beast entirely. That article blurs the line between the two, you can buy a 1500w electric motor off ebay and fit that with a throttle to any pedal bike. They are capable of 30mph+ and are very illegal.

What the article is highlighting is that more and more people are riding bikes period. Pedal and e-bikes number are rising and our infrastructure isn't designed for it. People don't need any training to take to the road with a bike, they should, similarly drivers who passed years ago have no training of what cyclists are legally allowed to do, some regularly shouting at cyclists to pay 'road tax' showing their lack of knowledge.

• Like 3

I think more of a concern is those that modify the e-bike to exceed speeds of 20mph or more as you stand very little chance of avoiding them as you could misjudge their speed.    Perhaps people using mobile phones while walking should be fined?

• Like 3

I thought electric cars were also silent :unsure:

That's the trouble today, no one is teaching youngsters the highway code, to stop, look, listen and looking both ways before crossing, and keep looking.   She would have been ok if she had done this, which I doubt, though she is old enough to know the "green cross code".  The amount of times I see mothers especially, walking with their kids whether in prams or walking with them, and they are on their phones chatting away to whoever, and just crossing roads and not teaching their children.   No doubt this pedestrian will not be the first to die by a bicycle, whether e-bike or not, nor the last.

5 minutes ago, springtime said:

They are but there is more tyre noise from an electric car, and due to their size should be easier to see :ph34r:

My FreeGo folder is not silent in use, unless the power assist is switched off. My Husband always knows when I’m catching up with him as he can hear the motor. In my opinion electric cars are deadly - I very nearly got knocked by one pulling out of a car parking space recently, it just slithered out of the space next to us as I was at the back of our car. It will take a while for me to get used to them.

Edited by Glen and Les

While people are reacting to this story, either in favour of, or against e-bikes, nobody has commented on the fact that this "cyclist" knocked over a pedestrian who subsequently died. ........and then fled the scene. That alone makes him a piece of scum who deserves to have the book thrown at him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

I think more of a concern is those that modify the e-bike to exceed speeds of 20mph or more as you stand very little chance of avoiding them as you could misjudge their speed.  

If you stick to the rules then the motor is limited to 240W for road use. I have a Cyclotricity unit that I fitted to my bike myself and you can set the max speed restriction manually so mine is limited to 15mph - anything above tat is pedal power only!

Mine does have a thumb throttle (because it was purchased before the law changed for new sales) and I did temporarily remove all of the speed restrictions as a test. With my bulk onboard the highest speed on the flat was 17mph (just). So it appears that limiting the motor to 250 W is about right for road use.

I find that the 15mph speed restriction suits me well as I tend to pedal at around 17-18mph on the open road, thus when a slight incline is reached the motor cuts in to assist, and effectively level out the road in terms of the effort needed.

2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

Perhaps people using mobile phones while walking should be fined?

Maybe not while walking but certainly while crossing a road and not looking!!!!!

Similarly the use of mobility scooters by people who use them as if they are in a car, causing chaos and endangering both themselves and other road users. Personally, while I know that some can have road lights, travel faster (8mph) and be used on the road, I firmly believe these scooters should all be restricted to walking pace and used only where pedestrians would normally go. That is to say, slowly and on a footway at no more than 4mph, or if there is no footway then close to the road edge and facing the oncoming traffic - not up the middle of the road as I have seen many times near my house.

The wife of a good friend of mine was killed by the actions of a pedal cyclist 3 years or so ago. I don't really see non-souped up e-bikes as intrinsically more dangerous than pedal cycles - surely it's the idiot riding it rather than the machine? In my friends case the cyclist was in a pedestrian only zone, had been warned 3 times previously by the police for cycling there and had no working brakes. He deserved far longer than the sentence he actually received.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Gordon said:

Maybe not while walking but certainly while crossing a road and not looking!!!!!

See my post "Honolulu" (Oct 26 2017).  I'd post a link but I'm a technodummy.

12 minutes ago, Gordon said:

I firmly believe these scooters should be used only where pedestrians would normally go. That is to say, slowly and on a footway at no more than 4mph, or if there is no footway then close to the road edge and facing the oncoming traffic - not up the middle of the road as I have seen many times near my house.

https://www. gov. uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-for-users-of-powered-wheelchairs-and-mobility-scooters-36-to-46

says they should NOT face oncoming traffic! especially at night where their lights could confuse.

The Class 3 type are  very much bigger than most of the pavement / shopping scooters or motorised wheelchairs and are just another road user,  same as cyclist, when travelling over 4 mph off a pavement.  

So if the Class 3 user wants to travel at 8 mph they must not be on the pavement, even when one is available.   (Not sure if they are permitted on cycle paths / shared pavements at the higher speeds? One would hope so.  )  Perhaps the Class 3 should be allowed to go at 15mph, like e-bikes to minimise the hold-ups they can sometimes cause?

Be grateful you can ride a bike and walk about readily and not have to rely on such mobility aids!

I was forced off the road (cycle path) by a group of gormless OAP’s on e-bikes 3 weeks ago that has resulted in my 6th bout of knee surgery and 6 weeks (minimum) off work :o

I cycle a lot, often in excess of 50 Km/h and I’m used to it and know what I’m doing, a lot of folk haven’t been on a bike since they were kids, go and buy an e-bike and are tootling along quicker than their reactions.

• Confused 1

To add to atrocities of ebikes has anyone been watching Britain By Bike With Larry & George Lamb, its quite good :)

• Like 2

I think I’m gonna hand my ebike into the local police station as it now seems to be classified as a lethal weapon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, springtime said:

I think I’m gonna hand my ebike into the local police station as it now seems to be classified as a lethal weapon.

Better hand in the car at the same time. Oh and any craft knives, carving knife too, and what about hammers and chisels - they can be pretty dangerous?

You can never successfully legislate and enforce to prevent idiots doing idiotic things, it's part of life and sadly sometimes the opposite. There will always be another way of doing something dumb.

• Like 1

It should be compulsory to stick lollypop sticks onto bike spokes as we did when I was little,  and it makes them go faster 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, springtime said:

We (the university) have a Renault Twizy and it's absolutely silent when traveling, however it has an audible noise when powered as we have shared areas with pedestrians, but every time I get in it the last user has switched the audible noise off (as it can be quite annoying) I think all silent electric vehicles/bicycles  should have an audible noise when moving which can't be switched off, however it won't make any difference when we have so many pedestrians/cyclists  with earphones/earbuds in hooked up to their mobile or iPod! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Joeblogs said:

We (the university) have a Renault Twizy and it's absolutely silent when traveling, however it has an audible noise when powered as we have shared areas with pedestrians, but every time I get in it the last user has switched the audible noise off (as it can be quite annoying) I think all silent electric vehicles/bicycles  should have an audible noise when moving which can't be switched off, however it won't make any difference when we have so many pedestrians/cyclists  with earphones/earbuds in hooked up to their mobile or iPod! 

It would help if all bikes, e- or not, had "audible warning devices" - like a bell that used to be fitted in olden days.

• Like 1

I think the answer would be to have a person walking in front waving a red flag.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

It would help if all bikes, e- or not, had "audible warning devices" - like a bell that used to be fitted in olden days.

They do here

Just now, Borussia 1900 said:

They do here

They did here until we joined the Common Market!

• Confused 2

There aren’t many that e-bike nutters in the UK yet, here in Germany and especially in Holland they are everywhere, an absolute army of clueless menaces causing no end of dramas. Once my knee is better I’m having cricket bats taped to my handlebars so I can bat the lunatics off as I’m going.

6 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

They did here until we joined the Common Market!

You’ve lost me 

Sign in to follow this