ericmark

Vacuum cleaner

Wife does not want to bend down to clean carpets, so looking for replacement for old Black&Decker, however we have had many small vacuum cleaners both mains and battery which were little more than toys.   The new B&D looks good (SVJ 520 BSF) but no idea if a gimmick or will really clean.

Did consider a broom, but she is already like Granny Weatherwax as it is, without a broom needing a push start.

9 minutes ago, ericmark said:

Wife does not want to bend down to clean carpets, so looking for replacement for old Black&Decker, however we have had many small vacuum cleaners both mains and battery which were little more than toys.   The new B&D looks good (SVJ 520 BSF) but no idea if a gimmick or will really clean.

Did consider a broom, but she is already like Granny Weatherwax as it is, without a broom needing a push start.

We bought  Dyson V10 a few weeks ago for the house.   Truly brilliant and we use it at home downstairs and keep our Miele for upstairs.   I thought it wouldn't touch the Miele  for performance but in all respects it is at least equal except it has no flexible hose.

We also bought a second charger and this month we used it in the van for a couple of weeks.   Highly recommended but expensive.

Edited by SamD
  • Like 1

When away we use a small mains cylinder vac with bags which works well and this fits under a bed. Similar ones are not expensive compared to the new gimmick vacs with lots of cyclones and digital motors and maybe £50 at a supermarket should be enough to spend, especially when it would not be used many times a year. Since the EU limited vac motor power I do not know how new models compare to old ones. When visiting the caravan in storage we use an upright Hoover battery vac that works well enough for a quick clean with the hose attachment but not that well with the carpet part.

Edited by Paul1957

+1 for Dyson here too, they do a wall cradle for it and a 12v Charger, brilliant unit.

10 hours ago, ericmark said:

Last weeks Shop Well for Less (BBC 1) found the lightweight £50 one from argos worked better than some of the big priced ones.  It could be the Featherweight Bissell which is either hand or upright, but it would be better if you watched the program :)

ericmark

Perhaps you could bend your back!

We just take our small compact but powerful G-Tech Multi with us  and, with its attachments, I can reach all the nooks and crannies and it takes a couple of minutes to do the carpets.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The road toad said:

ericmark

Perhaps you could bend your back!

We just take our small compact but powerful G-Tech Multi with us  and, with its attachments, I can reach all the nooks and crannies and it takes a couple of minutes to do the carpets.

We’re a fan of the G tech multi. . . .  Although it’s probably not a “stand up” and use cleaner, I wouldn’t be without it .

• Like 2

Bosch Athlet (white) for us, we use it in the house and take it with us in the caravan.

8 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Bosch Athlet (white) for us, we use it in the house and take it with us in the caravan.

Hi GpS. Which specific model as there appear to be several.

I have a Makita, that uses the same batteries as my drill. Without a battery it only costs around £35, is small and has a long pipe so you can use whilst standing. Expensive if you don't already have other Makita products with the batteries and charger though.

Picked up a small pull along in Carrefour last year in France for 40 euros, it is bagless and cyclone. The suction is so good I have to open the valve on the handle otherwise it sucks itself to the carpet. Main unit and hoses all come apart and it lives under the beds.  

Edited by Jiffy176

Another for the Gtech Multi with extension pipe. Use it in the house all the time and take it away when we're in the caravan. The in-laws have a Dyson and they think its brilliant, but its more expensive than the Gtech.

2 hours ago, AWanderingLancastrian said:

Hi GpS. Which specific model as there appear to be several.

Bosch Athlet (white) with the 25.2 volt battery and attachments, the black one has a lower voltage battery and no attachments.

i am currently using a Black & Decker PD1820LF with floor extension which seems to the job, also you can get replacement filters, i also have a manual floor sweeper which can be dismantled and is kept in the van

On 21/09/2018 at 09:33, mecamero said:

I have a Makita, that uses the same batteries as my drill. Without a battery it only costs around £35, is small and has a long pipe so you can use whilst standing. Expensive if you don't already have other Makita products with the batteries and charger though.

Just what we do.  

It's powerful enough to do the job & a 3 week holiday hardly made a dent in the charge on a 5 AH battery.

I suspect that other makes of cordless 18V tools will also do a small vacuum cleaner for a similar price.

I use a pet Hoover Freedom with the upholstery powerhead very good and is ideal for the caravan /MH . I found the main attraction was the removable battery that is easily changed as these rechargeable battery items start to die after a few years but I can just buy a new battery .

Dave

Dyson V6 got it for the car & caravan but it's also replaced the 250v Panasonic upright in the house 

17 minutes ago, TenStar said:

Dyson V6 got it for the car & caravan but it's also replaced the 250v Panasonic upright in the house 

+1 but V8, standard hoover at home, will come with us in the caravan. ..  use a Ring Car hoover with long 12V lead on the boat.   Allegedly it's wet/dry. .. 

We bought a Dyson V6 Animal from their refurbishment website for about £150 two years ago for our caravan. It is very good.

Bought a Goblin (?) from Wilko - I think its their own brand now with floor tools etc.   It's small and is very effective and about £20. Packs away easily - mains powered but that's no problem in the van.   :rolleyes:

Edited by yorkyguy
typo

On 20/09/2018 at 22:19, SamD said:

We bought  Dyson V10 a few weeks ago for the house.   Truly brilliant and we use it at home downstairs and keep our Miele for upstairs.   I thought it wouldn't touch the Miele  for performance but in all respects it is at least equal except it has no flexible hose.

We also bought a second charger and this month we used it in the van for a couple of weeks.   Highly recommended but expensive.

+1 for the V10, I had to take a deep breath and buried the cost in finances of our recent house move :lol:

Totally satisfied with performance, really is as good as people say, I know of two other V10's being bought as a result of trying ours.

Another for Dyson, a V8 from the Dyson refurbishment shop.

We have Numatic 'Henry'...worked for me since 1989.

geoff

8 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

geoff

I have had a cylinder model Electrolux 65 since 1965. It was originally used in the home through several house moves. Then it was used in my business office for seven years. From 1974 it has been used both in my caravan and in my flat.

3 hours ago, shipbroker said:

geoff

We have a 'Henry' given to us as a wedding present in 1984, it is still going strong. In recent years it has been relegated to my workshop vac where it has been used and abused considerably, even as a wet pick up sometimes (with all the fabric and filter bits removed) and still it carries on.