Bad time to sell?

Hi,

I am trying to sell my 2011 Lunar Ultima 546 which at a dealers would be just under 11K for 9650 and although getting people watching on Ebay nobody getting in touch. Had a couple of people on Gumtree email. One turned up and then said not for them due to layout. Another said could they come and see then never replied.  

Never sold van before as it's my first. Is the price too much or is it just that time of year and better off trying in Feb or something?

I just thought if sold mine might get a decent deal this time of year on another one from dealer or private.  

1 hour ago, mprcomp said:

I just thought if sold mine might get a decent deal this time of year on another one from dealer or private.  

Why do you think you should get a good price on your van, when you expect to get a deal on anyone elses?

Probably not a good time to sell because:

• The season is ending and folks are thinking of hibernating
  • Plenty of other people wanting to sell at the end of the season, so lots of competition

The price looks fine, if dealers are selling for £11k, however a quick look at 2011 4 berth Quasars on Autotrader show dealers mostly asking £9500, £11k being reserved for the Lexon and Clubman models. So maybe you're asking £1,000 too much. 

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

12 hours ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

• Plenty of other people wanting to sell at the end of the season, so lots of competition

The price looks fine, if dealers are selling for £11k, however a quick look at 2011 4 berth Quasars on Autotrader show dealers mostly asking £9500, £11k being reserved for the Lexon and Clubman models. So maybe you're asking £1,000 too much.  

Agree I found the same . You are in a competitive market and the only time you might get slightly higher price is if someone is not prepared to travel and willing to pay extra .  

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I think I am one of your watchers as i am in the market for that layout of van. You are too far away from me but there are a couple of things that stand out in your ad that would stop me travelling (  if it is the ad i think it is) and i am prepared to travel for the right van.

The price is high when you compare to Quasar 546 models that tend to be in dealers at around 9500 - 9999. There is also no mention of service history and a recent service/damp report which to me as a buyer makes me assume there is none. The front bed/sofa size is an important part of my decision and i found it hard to gauge the size of this in your pictures.  

great that you got MTLP and specifications in the ad though as that is also important to me with a no B+E licence.

being picky but thought you might appreciate some feedback from a potential buyer 

Edited by mazdavdk

It is a bad time to sell. If you can hold onto it until march and put it up then. The market will be full of buyers wanting caravans for the season. Not many are buying now when they aren't going to get much use out of them straight away.  

The lack of a fixed bed for that price will put people off too, I know there's nothing you can do about that and there will be people with families where this layout will be appealing, but your market is limited to those with small children. It would be no good for me and my wife for example.

For comparison I've not long bough a 2010 Lunar Delta Ti, it probably wasn't as good condition as yours but I only paid 7k.

2010 Lunar Delta Ti pulled by a 2012 Volvo XC60 D3 AWD remapped to 210bhp & 501Nm

Have you tried a dealer yet to see what they will offer in part ex against the newer caravan you want ? This would then give you an idea of the lowest you should be selling for including costs.  

Have a look on www. caravanfinder. co. uk.   You can get an idea on price, both trade and private sales.   Don't know the T&Cs on this site, but you could even sell your caravan on this site

Its not a good time to sell. At present the CC Classifieds have just over 100 Lunar caravans for sale from private advertisers.  

We sold our caravan in February this year using the CC Classifieds and it only took a few days to have two buyers interested. Spring is the right time to sell.  

Keep on advertising. If the price is competitive and you can be a little flexible,somebody will bite. It's true that it's not the best time of year but people still buy for various reasons.

I've bought my last two vans at the Oct show and sold the old vans privately . I started advertising them straight after the show and both sold within a few weeks. They were both immaculate, competitively priced and I was ready to drop a bit,all buyers like that.

I took the view that I was still better off than I would be if they had been PX 'd

21 hours ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

Thanks mine is 6 berth ultima so has atc on.

Sorry I didn't realise that the 546 was a 6 berth job.

Sadly, it's one of the fallacies of the business that dealers specials are worth more than their standard cousins. In essence, they aren't and if a dealer can't find your van under its dealer special name in Glasses he'll price it on the standard model and, like cars, the extras don't count in the used market.

The only 546 on Autotrader is a 2012 at Highbridge with a £12,495 asking price. Stripping that back, Highbridge appear to price at about £1,000 above other dealers and a year will add about £1,000 to the price as well. That brings the 'normal' dealer price to £10,500 for a 2011 and so a private sale at about £9,500 would be about right.  

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

13 hours ago, mprcomp said:

Thanks mine is 6 berth ultima so has atc on.

I think that you should put the MY on the ad, as I cannot see it anywhere and its the first thing I look for.  

We are looking to upgrade but holding off for a few months as come the Ocotber release of all the new models there will be plenty of second hand caravans hitting the market with people trading in. I am keeping an eye on the dealers but they hardly have any new stock of second hand caravans coming through at the moment.

Tom what are you hoping to upgrade to? We are selling our van this winter.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

If I have found the right ad on ebay for sale in Gateshaed (ad spelling), there is no mention of the caravan condition as well as service history and model year (last 2 already pointed out).

12 minutes ago, WispMan said:

Tom what are you hoping to upgrade to? We are selling our van this winter.

Pretty sure we are going to go for an transverse island bed or a french bed if there is a particularly good deal to be had. hoping for something 2 or 3 years old but saying that we quite like the look of the Bailey Pegasus range so may go new.  

Thanks. No one is biting so will adjust Ebay post and see what happens. Nice van no rush. Tomorrow going to see a Bailey Turin GT65 2013. Has fixed bed so quite different from what have now. Will see if that might suit us not having to put up bed each night.  

I have amended add to say it has brand new tyres on forgot that.   It's a nice van just want something  bit more modern preferably with big front panoramic front window.  

On 21/09/2018 at 18:31, mprcomp said:

Thanks. No one is biting so will adjust Ebay post and see what happens. Nice van no rush. Tomorrow going to see a Bailey Turin GT65 2013. Has fixed bed so quite different from what have now. Will see if that might suit us not having to put up bed each night.  

I have amended add to say it has brand new tyres on forgot that.   It's a nice van just want something  bit more modern preferably with big front panoramic front window.  

We sold ours recently through Caravanfinder 

I'd alter the ad and remove the first and third picture as it looks like it could be from a builders site :o

I was thinking something else :ph34r:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)