Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lutz

Hymer Group takeover

Recommended Posts

Contrary to original plans for the Hymer family to retain a controlling interest, the whole Hymer Group has now been bought out by  a major competitor on the world market, Thor Industries, of Elkhart, Indiana.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's hope they do a better job of improving quality at Elddis. On second thoughts they couldn't do worse!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As well as Airsteam, Jayco and Starcraft, Thor Industries own a stack of RV and travel trailer brands

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

As well as Airsteam, Jayco and Starcraft, Thor Industries own a stack of RV and travel trailer brands

 

The other thread on this subject I made comment on their list too:-

Airstream

Bison Coach, horse trailers with living quarters

Breckenridge

CrossRoads RV

Cruiser RV (CRV)

DRV

Dutchmen RV

Entegra

Heartland RV

Highland Ridge

Jayco

Keystone RV

KZ RV, founded by Daryl Zook in 1972 and acquired by Thor in 2014.

Livin Lite RV, founded by Scott Tuttle and acquired by Thor in 2013. KZ took over management in March 2016.

Redwood RV

Starcraft RV

Thor Motor Coach (combined Four Winds International and Damon Motor Coach)

Venture RV

 

geoff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's hope this US Group keeps it's word about heritage, unlike so many such as Kraft and Cadburys etc.

 

I suspect even Kraft meant what they said when they purchased Cadburys, but once the truth hit home that they'd acquired immensely high gearing in order to finance the deal that they had to slash costs in order to make sufficient return to pay the borrowing costs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

The other thread on this subject I made comment on their list too:-

Airstream

Bison Coach, horse trailers with living quarters

Breckenridge

CrossRoads RV

Cruiser RV (CRV)

DRV

Dutchmen RV

Entegra

Heartland RV

Highland Ridge

Jayco

Keystone RV

KZ RV, founded by Daryl Zook in 1972 and acquired by Thor in 2014.

Livin Lite RV, founded by Scott Tuttle and acquired by Thor in 2013. KZ took over management in March 2016.

Redwood RV

Starcraft RV

Thor Motor Coach (combined Four Winds International and Damon Motor Coach)

Venture RV

 

geoff

 

Hi Geoff. Remember the old adage :-- The bigger they are the harder the fall. Also the hole that is created is often a massive sink-hole.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AWanderingLancastrian said:

The bigger they are the harder the fall. Also the hole that is created is often a massive sink-hole.

:goodpost:

 

 

13 hours ago, Lutz said:

 . . . the whole Hymer Group has now been bought out by  a major competitor on the world market, Thor Industries, of Elkhart, Indiana.

It looks like I have come full circle . . .

Our first caravan was one of Siddle Cook's caravans built under the name Elddis. A name that later would be used to re-brand the Explorer Group and it appears that after becoming part of the Hymer Group is now owned by Thor Industries in the USA.

Our present FourWinds RV was built by - you've guessed it - the Thor Group from the USA.

Gordon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I hope it goes better than the 4 companies  that were taken over where I unfortunately worked at the time. I was 'cost cut' 3 times and jumped out of the 4th.

All asset stripped and 2 closed completely in the UK. 2  were large US owned corporations.

Edited by ian16527

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The US was seeing a influx of European size motorhomes which I assume is in answer to their fuel costs and the big V8 and V10s becoming less attractive and the Merc and VW diesel chassis with US coach builds .  

 

As said the yanks are very cut throat when it comes to business from working for them myself and their policy at the moment is US first so time will tell .

 

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/09/2018 at 18:38, thebriars said:

Let's hope they do a better job of improving quality at Elddis. On second thoughts they couldn't do worse!

Don't hold your breath on that one.

 

Last I heard the preceding Elddis management was staying!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Griff said:

Don't hold your breath on that one.

 

Last I heard the preceding Elddis management was staying!

Wow, do they really have a management?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Griff said:

Last I heard the preceding Elddis management was staying!

 

It could be a ploy to release to T I a windfall, a nice big building plot for housing development?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, JTQ said:

 

It could be a ploy to release to T I a windfall, a nice big building plot for housing development?

 

The site is on the Southwest edge of the township of Consett and surrounded with rolling hillsides on three sides.

It is a huge site and doubtless worth a huge amount of money.

Could it be that a developer would build a new and scaled down site for the future building of the Buccaneer range !!

Vanmaster in Wigan are in a new'ish modern factory and seem to be doing OK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

It is a huge site and doubtless worth a huge amount of money.

Quote

Our first caravan was one of Siddle Cook's caravans 

 

Elddis Caravans probably didn't own it in the first place.

 

I remember when Siddle C Cook was a heavy haulage company:-) If they were well advised in those days any premises would have been owned by a family trust or company directors pension fund and rented / leased to the operating company.

 

Wasn't there a management buyout somewhere along the line? It's unlikely that such a business structure could / would justify an investment in property on that scale.

 

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Cook family former Compass and Elddis owners still operate their Elddis Transport from adjacent property on Delves Lane,with about 120 vehicles. My understanding over the 30 years of dealings with them was that they owned both sites before the sale to Constantine Group.

 

Geoff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AWanderingLancastrian said:

 

The site is on the Southwest edge of the township of Consett and surrounded with rolling hillsides on three sides.

It is a huge site and doubtless worth a huge amount of money.

 

This is Consett you are talking about. House prices start at £40k, and you can buy a new 4 bed detached house for £200k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Geoff says Elddis Transport still exists and you do still see the mustard cab and blue trailers around. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thebriars said:

This is Consett you are talking about. House prices start at £40k, and you can buy a new 4 bed detached house for £200k.

 

It is not much different for many places that have not been invaded by the Yuppie Set with their high flung ideas and must have attitude funded with other peoples money  and credit cards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AWanderingLancastrian said:

 

It is not much different for many places that have not been invaded by the Yuppie Set with their high flung ideas and must have attitude funded with other peoples money  and credit cards.

 

Crikey.   Or "much of the UK" as I like to think of them.   Presumably high flung ideas = wanting to have a home and a job?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, thebriars said:

 you can buy a new 4 bed detached house for £200k.

 

Prices are very low in that area I know when we have looked while in the area .   Down south here you could buy two of them for the price of a beach hut .

 

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a hilly site, and the factory buildings are on a couple of levels. It was previously a carpet factory, before Elddis and Compass merged and moved there.

There was talk locally of a new factory last year.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CommanderDave said:

 

Prices are very low in that area I know when we have looked while in the area .   Down south here you could buy two of them for the price of a beach hut .

 

 

Dave

Exactly, so land is not at a premium, and a sale of the factory site will get little more than agricultural rates for the land sale. The factory is pretty old, and must be very inefficient, heating wise at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About 30 years ago I seem to remember a garage door maker called Elddis/Elddis in the Durham area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DeeTee said:

About 30 years ago I seem to remember a garage door maker called Elddis/Elddis in the Durham area.

Strange I have not heard that one before, I did consultancy work for another of the elder Cook brothers former companies for 3 years. ...and started my working life with the Constantine family. .....so know of a few spin-offs but not doors.

 

Geoff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

Strange I have not heard that one before, I did consultancy work for another of the elder Cook brothers former companies for 3 years. ...and started my working life with the Constantine family. .....so know of a few spin-offs but not doors.

 

Geoff

When I returned from Saudi Arabia in the mid 1980s I managed a garage door business in south west London for a couple of years.

 

We sold and installed all makes of garage doors then available including Henderson, Garador, Cardale, Hormann and Wessex mouldings GRP doors. At the back of my mind I also seem to remember Elddis, which may have been the transport company, delivering garage doors to my branch, possibly made in a factory in the North East of England.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...