Folks my apologies if this has been asked before but the search never came up with the answer.

Can I buy any Carbon Monoxide detector or does it need to be specifically for caravans?  Also, where is the best place to mount one?

Cheers benn.

Any will do and as CO is about the same weight as air and warm air rises fitting on the ceiling is best, but don't put it within a foot of a wall, if you must fit it on a wall do it as high as possible away from corners, and about 6" down from the ceiling to the wall corner.

They also need replacing every few years.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Good advice. .....couple of years back I started getting an awful headache whilst sitting in rear of last caravan. ....the alarm went off and I rang the mobile man,who lived in next village, and it was a blockage in the fridge piping. ...

Can't be too careful with this gas as two of my neighbours died following a blockage in their gas fire.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Be careful with your choice of alarm though. Which? tested loads recently and a few were found to be absolutely useless.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

32 minutes ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

Be careful with your choice of alarm though. Which? tested loads recently and a few were found to be absolutely useless.

Point taken, are there any brands/models preferred by forum members?

Thanks for the replies folks

According to my Mobile Caravan Service technician there is a 'special' type of CO detector for vehicle use. ..  So standard household ones - like the one supplied by my Bailey dealers in my 2012 Rimini - aren't suitable! :blink: "not to Regs" is on my service sheet.

My online research after his statement is that the 'correct' ones are certified to be more rugged and suited to the rigours of use in vehicles (motorhomes, touring caravans etc. ,.).  There's a different BS or EN no. on them. .. but I can't find the scrap of paper I wrote that info on at the moment.

Me?  I reckoned the current CO alarm I have does the job just as well as the 'latest' version so won't be replacing it.   :ph34r:  Kidde is a decent brand:  http://www. kiddesafetyeurope. co. uk/ProductInformation/Pages/CarbonMonoxideAlarms. aspx

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

35 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

According to my Mobile Caravan Service technician there is a 'special' type of CO detector for vehicle use. ..  So standard household ones - like the one supplied by my Bailey dealers in my 2012 Rimini - aren't suitable! :blink: "not to Regs" is on my service sheet.

My online research after his statement is that the 'correct' ones are certified to be more rugged and suited to the rigours of use in vehicles (motorhomes, touring caravans etc. ,.).  There's a different BS or EN no. on them. .. but I can't find the scrap of paper I wrote that info on at the moment.

Me?  I reckoned the current CO alarm I have does the job just as well as the 'latest' version so won't be replacing it.   :ph34r:  Kidde is a decent brand:  http://www. kiddesafetyeurope. co. uk/ProductInformation/Pages/CarbonMonoxideAlarms. aspx

EN50291. 2010 part 1&2 i believe for caravans and have a look at witch report as said before some were not up to the job in their opinion.

I bought a Fire Angel Detector on recommendation of fireman mate, it cost me about £24 but I see that they can be bought for about £10 less via usual sites.

geoff 

3 hours ago, Flynn said:

EN50291. 2010 part 1&2 i believe for caravans and have a look at witch report as said before some were not up to the job in their opinion.

Part 1 domestic and Part 2 caravan??

Witch (sic) reports are usually behind a paywall that I can't see behind.  https://www. which. co. uk/reviews/carbon-monoxide-detectors 

So you'll maybe have to be break copyright and warn us of all the dodgy samples they found.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

3 minutes ago, Rodders53 said:

Witch (sic) reports are usually behind a paywall that I can't see behind.  https://www. which. co. uk/reviews/carbon-monoxide-detectors 

So you'll maybe have to be break copyright and warn us of all the dodgy samples they found.

Pop along to your local library.   They often have a subscription to the printed copy.

2017 Lunar Solaris 462, Mercedes B200 Exec CDI Auto

CO Alarms happen to be featured in the Which? daily email this morning.

The most recently tested (August 2018) Best Buys are:

1. Kidde 10SCO Combined Smoke & CO Alarm £16.00 (replaceable batteries) 10 year life
  2. Honeywell XC100 CO Alarm £19.00 (sealed battery) 10 year life
  3. Honeywell XC70 CO Alarm £19.00 (sealed battery) 7 year life
  4. Fire Angel SC05Q Combined Optical Smoke & CO Alarm £30.00 (replaceable batteries) 5 year life

HTH

PS the XC70 is on Amazon at present for £17.55 with free PRIME delivery

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

2 hours ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

CO Alarms happen to be featured in the Which? daily email this morning.

The most recently tested (August 2018) Best Buys are:

1. Kidde 10SCO Combined Smoke & CO Alarm £16. 00 (replaceable batteries) 10 year life
  2. Honeywell XC100 CO Alarm £19. 00 (sealed battery) 10 year life
  3. Honeywell XC70 CO Alarm £19. 00 (sealed battery) 7 year life
  4. Fire Angel SC05Q Combined Optical Smoke & CO Alarm £30. 00 (replaceable batteries) 5 year life

HTH

PS the XC70 is on Amazon at present for £17. 55 with free PRIME delivery

We have the Kidde 7CO fitted as standard in our caravan.

• 1 month later...

My apologies for being a bit thick but, how does one test a carbon monoxide alarm? I don't mean press the button and wait for the noise. I mean to actually check that the alarm will detect and go off in the presence of CO. Thank you :) 

Retirement, the best job I've ever had. The only problem is, I don't get a day off.       I'm not paranoid, they ARE out to get me.

You know you're an intellectual when you hear The William Tell Overture and you don't think of the Lone Ranger.

Put the alarm in a plastic bag and allow either smoke from a  smoke pen, a cigarette or burning incense stick to enter the bag.

The alarm will go off,,,,dont drop it !!!

Edited by Brecon
2 hours ago, Flat_at said:

My apologies for being a bit thick but, how does one test a carbon monoxide alarm? I don't mean press the button and wait for the noise. I mean to actually check that the alarm will detect and go off in the presence of CO. Thank you :) 

I stick mine by the car exhaust!

2 hours ago, Brecon said:

Put the alarm in a plastic bag and allow either smoke from a  smoke pen, a cigarette or burning incense stick to enter the bag.

The alarm will go off,,,,dont drop it !!!

See here …

John

22 minutes ago, joanie said:

and for those of you who already have the CO2 and fire alarms, have you checked your batteries are up to the job recently? 

My 'van was serviced last week and engineer wrote on report that whilst both detectors were working, and batteries adequate, one of the detectors did not have a replace by date. ...so he suggested a replacement before 2020.

geoff

Edited by shipbroker

:Thankyou: for the reply's everyone, I will set about checking mine tomorrow  :)

Retirement, the best job I've ever had. The only problem is, I don't get a day off.       I'm not paranoid, they ARE out to get me.

You know you're an intellectual when you hear The William Tell Overture and you don't think of the Lone Ranger.

• 9 months later...

What essentially is the difference between a domestic carbon monoxide detector to EN50291. 2010 part 1 and a caravan suitable carbon monoxide detector to EN50291. 2010 part 2? Is the only difference being that the latter is built to be more rugged and robust?

Will the one suitable for caravans (part 2) detect fumes leaking from a faulty battery? 

Thanks

An alarm suitable for caravans will have a symbol on the box.

image.png.b82c46558bd78877e2a39de96b8dbfde.png

A symbol may have a large cross if it's not suitable for boats, caravans or motorhomes.

A CO detector goes off after a delay, so can be difficult to test under real conditions.

image.png.56d26be63c9736b17e6c9d2c7cd00977.png 

"FireAngel CO detectors can be entered into a "sensor test mode" whereby the sampling rate of the detector is increased and the unit can be tested using a known source of CO.

FireAngel recommend testing the sensor using an incense stick or cigarette. The way in which these products burn produces a readable localised amount of carbon monoxide."

The best alarms have a digital display.

FireAngel CO-9D is about £16 from https://www.safelincs.co.uk/fire-angel-co-9d-carbon-monoxide-alarm/

Currently only £13.99 here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fireangel-CO-9D-Digital-Sealed-Monoxide/dp/B00441S9GS

I can recommend this company and model highly.

Edited by Guest

Thanks kelper for the prompt response and useful information and links. However, I still do not know the difference between detectors to Part 1 and Part 2.

The reason for my query is that up till now, I have simply taken my domestic carbon monoxide detector to EN50291. 2010 part 1 from my living room and placed it in my caravan when going on a trip. I heard about a family who had a narrow escape when their carbon monoxide detector alerted them to leaking gas fumes from their battery. They were told a smoke alarm would not have alarmed in this instance. I do not know what type of detector they had (Part 1 or 2). I do not know whether a detector to Part 2 would suffice in this instance or is a detector with some extra specification required.

Get a copy of the BS / Euro Norme from your Library to read?  {You will need to order in, likely}

But part 1 is now updated and :2018  https://shop.bsigroup.com/ProductDetail/?pid=000000000030349510 

https://shop.bsigroup.com/ProductDetail?pid=000000000030183106 is part 2 and it seems to all be about " Additional test methods and performance requirements" 

Only reading the Normes will tell.  BS/ENs make excellent bedtime reading material! <Yawns, just thinking about it>

Thanks Rodders53 but I think I would probably lose the will to live if I had to read through all that. Technical gobblegedook by engineers is bad enough but by the time the lawyers and legal draughtsmen have had their input, it becomes almost unreadable.

I will take my chances with a detector to EN50291. 2010 part 2 

• 2 months later...

Here is a comprehensive list of carbon-monoxide alarms, published by HETAS on behalf of CoGDEM .  If you have a CO alarm that is not listed, please replace it!  These comply with BS EN50291-2:2010.  This standard is for boats, morhomes and touring caravans but check whether a particular alarm has been tested for caravans - not all are.  These alarms are higher-specced to resist corrosion, vibration and false alarms.

https://www.hetas.co.uk/wp-content/mediauploads/COalarmsAnalysersAirFlow070317.pdf

See earlier post