International driving licence

1 hour ago, Lutz said:

I think this thread is starting to get too political. There will always be those who want to see the back of the EU, like you AJGalaxy2012, and those like me who think the EU has not gone far enough, but that's not going to help to those concerned about future free movement across the English Channel.

Agree, it’s useful to keep the thread on track around how he future works rather than re-visiting the bit we least (or most) like about the last 44 years (and before) otherwise it gets locked and useful discussion is lost.

I wonder if the EU is publishing the same information for drivers wanting to drive in the UK, or are they expecting the UK to accept EU driving licences?

It’s not all one way!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

I wonder if the EU is publishing the same information for drivers wanting to drive in the UK, or are they expecting the UK to accept EU driving licences?

It’s not all one way!

Not a mention of it in the media here.

Brexit isn’t a daily media topic here but when it is mentioned then 99% of the time  it’s portrayed in a negative way, they don’t want the German public getting any ‘Dexit’ ideas :ph34r:

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

32 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

It’s not all one way!

The proportion of holidaymakers travelling from the Continent by car to the UK is miniscule compared with those visiting other EU countries so the issue is not one of any priority. The general consensus here seems to be 'they (the UK) need to sort themselves out first before we are going to get involved'.

2 hours ago, svimes said:

Good post.

I'm not going to point out where AJG is wrong (IMO) as I suspect everyone has been here before and he's entitled to his views.

I'm always interested to hear the other viewpoint.

Who knows, I may even agree with you but then we'd both be wrong  :D

I do see any harm in a perfectly civil discussion, I know threads like this may deteriorate in which case it should be locked but at the minute it all seems quite amicable and people stating their viewpoint along with information about the EU. I hope I haven't offended anyone with my comments, if I have then I unreservedly apologise.

In view of some of the responses that seem to indicate Im steering this thread down a political route (not my intention) I'll bow out of it, sorry!

To ones that have asked questions of me, I'm not ignoring you but for the longevity of this thread I wont be answering.

If the EU makes it difficult for British tourists to enter the EU, it will create a lot of unemployment in rural areas.   We are on a site at present where the majority appear to British tourists with people from the Netherlands next.  

We Brits spend a lot of money in the EU on the many tourist attractions available and I am sure that no EU government wants to lose this income.   As said come the end of March 2019 more than likely no issues with Brits travelling to the continent.

What about Eurostar train drivers, will they need swap drivers half way through the tunnel :D

53 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

If the EU makes it difficult for British tourists to enter the EU, it will create a lot of unemployment in rural areas.   We are on a site at present where the majority appear to British tourists with people from the Netherlands next.  

We Brits spend a lot of money in the EU on the many tourist attractions available and I am sure that no EU government wants to lose this income.   As said come the end of March 2019 more than likely no issues with Brits travelling to the continent.

Tourism will drive much of the agreements, deal or no deal - both ways - in the same way that exports will drive trade agreements, both ways.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

We Brits spend a lot of money in the EU on the many tourist attractions available and I am sure that no EU government wants to lose this income.    

A lot of people overestimate the effect of tourism.

Tourism represents 16% of Spain's GDP and the UK 25% of that, while it's a loss of 4% to Spain's GDP, it's hardly catastrophic.  

Tourism represents less than 10% of France's GDP, of which 30% is from outside of France.

Edited by Lost in France

The difference between a master and a beginner

The master has failed more times than a beginner has ever tried.

1 hour ago, Lutz said:

The proportion of holidaymakers travelling from the Continent by car to the UK is miniscule compared with those visiting other EU countries so the issue is not one of any priority. The general consensus here seems to be 'they (the UK) need to sort themselves out first before we are going to get involved'.

Really, what about all the foreign lorry drivers that arrive in their droves from the EU?

It will be a long queue in Calais if we don't have a reciprocal agreement, I would love to see us adopt the american attitude at immigration, at any border be it airport or seaport 4+ lines for UK passport/DL holders and 1 line for everyone else (aliens) :D

It is, like the return of Duty Free, a maybe not a will be,yet.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

1 hour ago, Borussia 1900 said:

What about Eurostar train drivers, will they need swap drivers half way through the tunnel :D

Humph, its OUR tunnel!

2 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Not a mention of it in the media here.

Brexit isn’t a daily media topic here but when it is mentioned then 99% of the time  it’s portrayed in a negative way, they don’t want the German public getting any ‘Dexit’ ideas :ph34r:

Who knows how long the EU or the Euro will last anyway?

Mitsubishi ASX4

Interests, none worth mentioning. Just plain boring most of the time, and very boring the rest.

17 minutes ago, thebriars said:

Humph, its OUR tunnel!

Really? Getlink, the owner, is a French company based in Paris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grandpa Steve said:

It will be a long queue in Calais if we don't have a reciprocal agreement, I would love to see us adopt the american attitude at immigration, at any border be it airport or seaport 4+ lines for UK passport/DL holders and 1 line for everyone else (aliens) :D

I can well imagine that UK border control at Calais will close down when the UK leaves the EU because the French will probably not want anyone from a non-EU country carrying out controls on EU soil. Everything will then have to be done at Dover, as it always used to be.

The idea of segregating traffic by passport holder is impractical because unlike foot passengers that can easily be asked to move into the correct queue if they hold a foreign passport, it's a bit difficult to ask a driver of a 40 tonne truck to back it out and do the same. Drivers will always simply join the shortest queue even if it is actually reserved for other users and pretend that they don't understand the signs.

Edited by Lutz

I’ve got 2 passports so I’ll just pick whichever queue is shortest 

55 minutes ago, Lutz said:

It’s a bit difficult to ask a driver of a 40 tonne truck to back it out and do the same. Drivers will always simply join the shortest queue even if it is actually reserved for other users and pretend that they don't understand the signs.

Simples, put in a feeder lane that routes them to the back of the queue, send them round once and they will soon get the message. 

It will be our train set soon :)

1 hour ago, Lutz said:

Really? Getlink, the owner, is a French company based in Paris

Humph! Fake news, its our tunnel.

Mitsubishi ASX4

Interests, none worth mentioning. Just plain boring most of the time, and very boring the rest.

24 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Simples, put in a feeder lane that routes them to the back of the queue, send them round once and they will soon get the message.  

If all controls a carried out at Dover I'd like to know where they could find space for a feeder lane. It's cramped enough at the port already. Besides, if enough foreign lorry drivers do the same, passport control will probably capitulate.

It's so much easier for us over here - less reason to come to the UK if things get difficult:

1. We don't have to book a ferry (unless we go to Scandinavia or a Mediterranean island)
  2. We don't have to exchange money (again unless going to most of Scandinavia or eastern Europe)
  3. We don't have to carry passports
  4. We don't have to inform our insurance company that we are going abroad
  5. We don't have to change to driving on the other side of the road or do silly things like sticking bits of tape over the headlights

Edited by Lutz

23 minutes ago, thebriars said:

Humph! Fake news, its our tunnel.

Hello Donald Trump

26 minutes ago, Lutz said:

Hello Donald Trump

Don’t you think the German media is obsessed with slagging Trump off all the time Lutz, I’m not particularly Trumps biggest fan but the German press are a disgrace, they don’t do it so much with a dictator like Erdogan but Trump bashing has become the norm and I think they should show a bit more respect 

30 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Don’t you think the German media is obsessed with slagging Trump off all the time Lutz, I’m not particularly Trumps biggest fan but the German press are a disgrace, they don’t do it so much with a dictator like Erdogan but Trump bashing has become the norm and I think they should show a bit more respect 

Quite honestly, no. From responses I get from my US friends even they don't think he's been bashed enough.

Edited by Lutz

1 hour ago, Grandpa Steve said:

It already is our train set. At the moment we keep part of it in France though. ?

55 minutes ago, Lutz said:

Quite honestly, no. From responses I get from my US friends even they don't think he's been bashed enough.

I thought he still had a high popularity rating in the US?

He’s still going to have to work hard to be a worse President than Obama, have you seen how much debt they’ve got.

6 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I thought he still had a high popularity rating in the US?

He’s still going to have to work hard to be a worse President than Obama, have you seen how much debt they’ve got.

No. He's been less popular throughout his entire president than all recent presidents, pretty much (there are brief periods where that isn't true for Carter, Regan, Clinton, etc)

https://projects. fivethirtyeight. com/trump-approval-ratings/

Obama came to power in 2009. What was it that happened in 2008?

1 hour ago, Lutz said:

I was working in America when he was elected and for 8 months following. Where I was he was highly regarded and was the only president that had done what he said he would do. The rest of the world should really keep their noses out, it's nothing to do with us.

• Steven locked this topic