Sign in to follow this  
Babstreefern

International driving licence

13 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

I suspect it is an EU thing, you can’t have two licenses from nations within the EU for the purposes of avoiding points etc but I can’t see a way of policing surrendering a license from a none EU country

So good news for Borussia, he can take his UK driving test again!

He can borrow our 12 year old Renault if he needs a RHD car to take it in

18 minutes ago, svimes said:

My bedside manner isn't great! 

That pub does look a little like the site toilets at the Knaus Caravan Park we stayed at!

It’s the Fan House, run by fans for fans and the atmosphere on match days is fantastic. It’s made of old ISO containers bolted together, we had similar things in Bosnia in the 90’s and I believe they got them off the British Army.

That’s me in there, making sure the beer meets EU standards 

CB6E8293-E952-485F-9C92-A1CF48EDBA3D.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Simple question, why? If it's allw orking the day before exit, it can still be working the day after.

I was thinking more about those who think (or hope) that the day after exit everything will revert to what things were like before the UK joined the EU. Those who have no such expectations won't be surprised if everything stays largely unchanged.

39 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

I suspect it is an EU thing, you can’t have two licenses from nations within the EU for the purposes of avoiding points etc but I can’t see a way of policing surrendering a license from a none EU country

So good news for Borussia, he can take his UK driving test again!

If I put my UK licence number into the DVLA website my licence is still ‘there’ it’s just marked as currently suspended, this is because MG Straßenverkehrsamt have got it and have informed Swansea, if I ever return to the UK permanently I just need to re-activate it.

30 minutes ago, svimes said:

He can borrow our 12 year old Renault if he needs a RHD car to take it in

I refuse to drive anything French

Spain is where I expect to need an IDP with my UK licence.

Spain accepts any EEA license, any license in Spanish, any license with an official translation to Spanish or an IDP.

It is off course possible that Spain changes their laws to accept a UK license but with or without a Brexit agreement I can't imagine any EU legislation that forces them to do so!

3 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

If I put my UK licence number into the DVLA website my licence is still ‘there’ it’s just marked as currently suspended, this is because MG Straßenverkehrsamt have got it and have informed Swansea, if I ever return to the UK permanently I just need to re-activate it.

Strange that because when I got my German licence they gave me my UK one back, but maybe things have changed since I got it almost 50 years ago. Obviously my green UK one isn't valid any more as it would have expired at the age of 70.

Just now, Lutz said:

Strange that because when I got my German licence they gave me my UK one back, but maybe things have changed since I got it almost 50 years ago. Obviously my green UK one isn't valid any more as it would have expired at the age of 70.

I did ask to keep it (it was a photocard one), I wasn’t allowed to, one or the other I was told. I also lost my Cat ‘h’ entitlement as it doesn’t exist in Germany 

I still have my South Africa driving licence and it is valid for using in SA indefinitely or I can use my British licence for one year there.

47 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Don’t worry, we will stop that from happening with a petition I’m about to set-up 😂

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, AndersG said:

Spain is where I expect to need an IDP with my UK licence.

Spain accepts any EEA license, any license in Spanish, any license with an official translation to Spanish or an IDP.

It is off course possible that Spain changes their laws to accept a UK license but with or without a Brexit agreement I can't imagine any EU legislation that forces them to do so!

Then my SA licence should be acceptable?  It would be strange if visiting Spain to have an IDL due to having a British licence however if I present the SA driving licence no need for a IDL?

1 hour ago, FrankBullet said:

Don’t worry, we will stop that from happening with a petition I’m about to set-up 😂

I've signed it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

Then my SA licence should be acceptable?  It would be strange if visiting Spain to have an IDL due to having a British licence however if I present the SA driving licence no need for a IDL?

Does your SA licence have a Spanish translation then? Only then would you get by without an IDP.

6 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

and what exactly would they do about it? chuck us out?..........

Oh my goodness, it really is not difficult. 'As of xxx date the UK will include in its statute and laws all of the rules, regs and laws that we have today' one sentence, voted in, job done and then review at leisure.

Driving licences don't have be an issue unless the EU wants it to be, they simply accepts them just like a pilots license is accepted worldwide.

The arrogance of the EU negotiators is the issue, they want to exert their powers on all of the naughty people in the UK.

I thought people voted to get their own laws back, not to just swallow EU laws . ... or some such guff.

It has to be done that way initially, otherwise the UK would have to have literally thousands of new laws ready to go on the statute book the day we leave, because all the EU laws will simply cease to be legal. As time goes by then the UK can delete, or change those laws to suit UK needs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, alan29 said:

I thought people voted to get their own laws back, not to just swallow EU laws . ... or some such guff.

No they didn't, they voted to leave the EU without having a clue what it meant.

They may have thought they knew what it meant but no one, even the government, opposition, Nigel, Boris or anyone else really had any idea. It was just some wishful thinking without really thinking it all through or actually thinking about the consequences.

The so called information that was squirted around at the time descended into both sides slagging each other off and coming with more and more outrageous claims.

As said above, nothing will change overnight but any change will be gradual and most of us wont see the effect (whether good or bad) for several years by which time some will be affected more than others. Those who lose out will blame it and those who gain will praise it.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, thebriars said:

It has to be done that way initially, otherwise the UK would have to have literally thousands of new laws ready to go on the statute book the day we leave, because all the EU laws will simply cease to be legal. As time goes by then the UK can delete, or change those laws to suit UK needs.

For a start there is no such thing as EU law. As I said before there are EU Directives which have largely already been incorporated into UK legislation. If one were to say that EU Directives simply cease to apply the day the UK leaves the EU, there would be a void. In the case in question here in this thread, that of driving licences, it would mean that there would be no law in the UK because existing references to EU Directives have been deleted. One would consequently be able to drive without a licence without fear of trespassing the law because the basis for control is lost. For that reason, references to EU Directives must continue to apply until someone gets round to replace such references with something else.

Edited by Lutz

Oh yes there is.

EU law, or European Union law, is a system of law that is specific to the 28 members of the European Union. This system overrules the national law of each member country if there is a conflict between the national law and the EU law.

See here: https://fullfact. org/europe/EU-law-and-uk/

37 minutes ago, thebriars said:

Oh yes there is.

EU law, or European Union law, is a system of law that is specific to the 28 members of the European Union. This system overrules the national law of each member country if there is a conflict between the national law and the EU law.

See here: https://fullfact. org/europe/EU-law-and-uk/

The are two types of so-called EU 'law'. One is Regulations which do not need to be transposed into national law. The other is Directives, but these aren't really law as such but only a legal framework which must be transposed into national law. All the cases that we are talking about here involve Directives which don't actually become law until incorporated into national legislation. A timeframe is always set by which this must be completed. Until such time one cannot be prosecuted for committing an offence even though it has passed through the EU channels. However, once it is incorporated into national law then any transgression is subject to punishment according to the provisions of national law. The EU doesn't get involved. One doesn't get a summons from the EU for not holding the correct type of EU type driving licence, for example. That is up to the national courts and any fines, etc. are set by them, not the EU.

Edited by Lutz

1 hour ago, matelodave said:

They may have thought they knew what it meant but no one, even the government, opposition, Nigel, Boris or anyone else really had any idea. It was just some wishful thinking without really thinking it all through or actually thinking about the consequences.

The so called information that was squirted around at the time descended into both sides slagging each other off and coming with more and more outrageous claims.

As said above, nothing will change overnight but any change will be gradual and most of us wont see the effect (whether good or bad) for several years by which time some will be affected more than others. Those who lose out will blame it and those who gain will praise it.

It’s like that now being in the EU. Some are really winning and some are losing.  

Is it too early to congratulate everyone on not getting too personal on a brexity thread?

Obviously, there has been a bit of ganging up on Borussia, but I suspect he can both take it and enjoys it

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Lutz said:

I was thinking more about those who think (or hope) that the day after exit everything will revert to what things were like before the UK joined the EU. Those who have no such expectations won't be surprised if everything stays largely unchanged.

Thats my hope and then we steadily take back control of our country, maintain free trade etc. I just want control of our borders and the rights NOT to have EU rules imposed.

18 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I also lost my Cat ‘h’ entitlement as it doesn’t exist in Germany 

So much for EU harmonisation!

15 hours ago, alan29 said:

I didnt, I want the ability for us to make our own laws and pick and choose which EU laws we want to keep. Free trade I would like to remain but retain control of our borders.

11 hours ago, matelodave said:

Just like the remainers too, NEITHER side fully knew what the effects of their chosen result would be. Many of the leave voters had seen life before the EEC and then a good few years of the EEC morphing into the EU which no-one had voted for in the UK. Hindsight is always 20:20 vision and for me life in the EU and where it was heading is several steps too far.

I think this thread is starting to get too political. There will always be those who want to see the back of the EU, like you AJGalaxy2012, and those like me who think the EU has not gone far enough, but that's not going to help to those concerned about future free movement across the English Channel.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lutz said:

I think this thread is starting to get too political. There will always be those who want to see the back of the EU, like you AJGalaxy2012, and those like me who think the EU has not gone far enough, but that's not going to help to those concerned about future free movement across the English Channel.

Good post.

I'm not going to point out where AJG is wrong (IMO) as I suspect everyone has been here before and he's entitled to his views.

1 hour ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

I didnt, I want the ability for us to make our own laws and pick and choose which EU laws we want to keep.

That's a claim I often heard, can you be the first to actually give me an answer to a couple of simple questions?

Exactly which EU laws shouldn't the UK have adopted and exactly which proposals (by the UK Parliament) laws have the EU stopped the UK passing into UK law?

• Like 1