Sign in to follow this  
Babstreefern

International driving licence

If there's no deal on Brexit, one of the things to change apparently is that you will have to have an international driving licence when driving in Europe.   I remember having to do this years ago.   Anyway, we always used to get stuff like this and vignettes, etc, from our local AA shop in St Annes Square in Manchester.   I did love those shops.   Also, why do we really need them (the IDL not the shops:D), we've been on fly/drive holidays to the USA and didn't need an international driving licence, our own bog-standard photo type licence was sufficient:mellow:

5 minutes ago, Babstreefern said:

If there's no deal on Brexit, one of the things to change apparently is that you will have to have an international driving licence when driving in Europe.   I remember having to do this years ago.   Anyway, we always used to get stuff like this and vignettes, etc, from our local AA shop in St Annes Square in Manchester.   I did love those shops.   Also, why do we really need them (the IDL not the shops:D), we've been on fly/drive holidays to the USA and didn't need an international driving licence, our own bog-standard photo type licence was sufficient:mellow:

Generally, it's up to individual countries whether they accept UK licences without an IDP - it depends how vindictive the EU is in the event of no-deal.

Or how vindictive the UK will be to all of us with Spanish driving licences?

5 minutes ago, bubble2015 said:

It's almost certain to be reciprocal - I doubt that we'd treat Spain worse than France, Germany, etc regardless of our position on Gibraltar.

18 minutes ago, bubble2015 said:

Or me with my German driving license :(

Most Germans I know and I have a large circle of friends from Dr’s and Engineers to Salesmen and Driving Instructors think things won’t change much, it’s all hot air.

Edited by Borussia 1900

My opinion is the remainers is ramping up their project fears campaign as the reality is fast approaching that in 6 months time we will not be part of Junkers dream.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Or me with my German driving license :(

Most Germans I know and I have a large circle of friends from Dr’s and Engineers to Salesmen and Driving Instructors think things won’t change much, it’s all hot air.

There wasn't a big issue, either way, before 1973 when the UK joined the Common Market - the biggest need for an IDP was to provide a photograph for countries that required it and a translation of the licence.

HM Government press releases are merely identifying worst case scenarios.

2 hours ago, oldboy said:

My opinion is the remainers is ramping up their project fears campaign as the reality is fast approaching that in 6 months time we will not be part of Junkers dream.

I thought discussion of this subject was banned? Especially if it uses derogative language?

2 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

There wasn't a big issue, either way, before 1973 when the UK joined the Common Market - the biggest need for an IDP was to provide a photograph for countries that required it and a translation of the licence.

HM Government press releases are merely identifying worst case scenarios.

I think they are just making people who may not have been driving in 1973 aware about what might happen, which seems reasonable. When you grow up in a world where certain things are simple / taken for granted then if they might change it's good to get a heads up.   Let's hope the post-office is taking on the extra staff in preparedness :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, svimes said:

I thought discussion of this subject was banned? Especially if it uses derogative language?

I think they are just making people who may not have been driving in 1973 aware about what might happen, which seems reasonable. When you grow up in a world where certain things are simple / taken for granted then if they might change it's good to get a heads up.   Let's hope the post-office is taking on the extra staff in preparedness :rolleyes:

You're right about the "youngsters" - I seem to recall the AA issued IDPs not the Post Office - but it was a long time ago!

Remainers :D lol

I wasn’t allowed to vote, I’ve paid UK tax, been to war (more than once) on behalf of the UK government but I have no UK voting rights. I’ve lived here in Germany for 29 years and until I got my citizenship in July I wasn’t allowed to vote here either, I am a proper untermensch :)

I am a Yorkshireman first, then English, then British, then German, then European, I am not a fan of the EU though.

13 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

You're right about the "youngsters" - I seem to recall the AA issued IDPs not the Post Office - but it was a long time ago!

From the BBC article:

International permits cost £5. 50 and are available at some post offices.

By your logic, youngsters appear to be 62 or less!

Edited by svimes

You can purchase an IDP for £5. 50 from the Post Office, AA or RAC.

Which has exactly nothing to do with.

Irrespective of the side of the fence you sit on (or if indeed find yourself splintering your backside) this is part of contingency planning for a ‘No Deal’ Brexit. One can assume there will be reciprocated arrangements agreed at some point between the UK and EU but poor planning prevents perfect performance.

Certain people would claim that if on the 30th March UK citizens couldn’t travel to the EU it was "a complete mess-up by remainers to prove why they think we needed the EU".

Only from a certain kind of person of course.

• Like 2

Should the EU make things difficult for us to enter / drive in the EU, the answer is not to go there.   Just stay home and listen to the wailing of the ferry companies etc. and other EU businesses that rely on UK tourists for their income.   Things will then change back again.

When the F O  advised against going to Tunisia because of terrorism fears, it brought the resorts to their knees  We spend a lot of money in the EU and money talks.   Common sense will prevail, so worry not.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Wunny said:

Should the EU make things difficult for us to enter / drive in the EU, the answer is not to go there.   Just stay home 

No thanks. I'm not ruining my holiday for the sake of a small charge that is an entirely predictable outcome of what we chose to do as a country.

It's worth noting where the story came from. Hint: it's not a Remain pressure group.

52 minutes ago, Wunny said:

Just stay home 

Although I live outside the UK, I still think of the UK as ‘home’. I passed my driving tests (B, C, E, h etc) in Britain, I served in the UK Armed Forces but now I might have to buy a permit to drive there post March 2019. Disgraceful :angry:

Just now, Borussia 1900 said:

Although I live outside the UK, I still think of the UK as ‘home’. I passed my driving tests (B, C, E, h etc) in Britain, I served in the UK Armed Forces but now I might have to buy a permit to drive there post March 2019. Disgraceful :angry:

Like dual nationality with multiple passports, are you able to retain/reapply for your UK licence without giving up your German one?

12 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

Like dual nationality with multiple passports, are you able to retain/reapply for your UK licence without giving up your German one?

I would think not, certainly in the case of France, I had to surrender my UK licence when I applied for my French one.

It would be a way of getting around a disqualification if one was allowed to hold licenses for more than one country.

I would have thought leave supporters would be burning their licenses the day after the UK leaves because of the EU 'stars' on the licenses anyway.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

No I can’t,  I had to give up my UK driving license when I got my German one. I could’ve kept my UK license but at 45 I needed to have a medical and attend a CPC course. It was easier/cheaper for me to do it all here than do it in the UK.

I can have (and do have) 2 passports, I can’t have 2 driving licenses 

Edited by Borussia 1900

28 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Dont you think that this just the scaremongering that's been going on ever since the Brexit vote was originally proposed. There's not a lot of news at the moment so the DM and others have to think up more stuff to try and get us all worried.

To be honest I'm more concerned about the fact that we wont get any information about asteroids etc wiping us all out.

I'm not sure whether I'll be happier just getting wiped out without any warning or having the prolonged worry and agony of waiting for it to happen. :unsure:

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Not really disgraceful though, is it?

You could choose to have a UK licence but for wholly understandable reasons, you don't.  

The UK and Germany are separate countries that are becoming a little more separate and this (if it happens) is one of the smaller (wholly predicted) consequences.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, matelodave said:

Dont you think that this just the scaremongering that's been going on ever since the Brexit vote was originally proposed. There's not a lot of news at the moment so the DM and others have to think up more stuff to try and get us all worried.

To be honest I'm more concerned about the fact that we wont get any information about asteroids etc wiping us all out.

I'm not sure whether I'll be happier just getting wiped out without any warning or having the prolonged worry and agony of waiting for it to happen. :unsure:

We (the human race) are doomed anyway, let’s all just go down the pub now whilst we still can and ignore the inevitable :o

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, matelodave said:

It's come from the government though. They'd be criticised if they didn't prepare for it and informing the public is part of that process, surely?

Edited by svimes
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, svimes said:

Not really disgraceful though, is it?

I think it is disgraceful, regardless of where I live or which driving licence I hold I am still a UK citizen, if I need to pay for a permit to drive in my own country post March 2019, I’ll probably never go there again 

6 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

I think it is disgraceful, regardless of where I live or which driving licence I hold I am still a UK citizen, if I need to pay for a permit to drive in my own country post March 2019, I’ll probably never go there again 

Presumably you accept the reason that you can only hold one license though?

I've typed that and realised I've held two concurrently in the past!

Edited by svimes
  • Haha 1