Sign in to follow this  
Lutz

Caravan with electrically powered axle

7 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

I view this as more of a concept showing off innovation rather than a pre-production sample.   Sure, viewing it as a "new caravan" poses lots of thought-provoking questions and doubts, but viewing it as a pure concept could see some of the ideas developed further and maybe end up some place completely different.

Imagine how comical the idea of the internet or a smart phone would have appeared to the general public if discussed in the 1960's?

Yes it was a concept study that was presented at the show, but Dethleffs claim that they will be in a position to have a pre-production prototype running by late summer next year.

By the way, bendy buses aren't considered to be trailered. In fact, there were plans to introduce them in London on a trial basis a couple of years ago, but the road infrastructure didn't allow it (the corners at UK road junctions are often too sharp).

How about sticking the batteries under the floor, giving it a wheel at each corner and a place for the driver and passengers to sit.  

Wouldn't need that pesky lump of metal attached at the front then.

What should we  call this new fangled design.

Electric motor home perhaps???

• Like 1

I would hope the usual caravan level of security is considerably beefed up. The value of the batteries and motor drive assemblies would make them an attractive target for the light fingered brigade.

9 minutes ago, TinShack said:

I would hope the usual caravan level of security is considerably beefed up. The value of the batteries and motor drive assemblies would make them an attractive target for the light fingered brigade.

I would think that most stolen caravans end up where there is no electric hook-up present so such a caravan would actually be less attractive to the light fingered brigade.

10 minutes ago, Towtug said:

How about sticking the batteries under the floor, giving it a wheel at each corner and a place for the driver and passengers to sit.  

Wouldn't need that pesky lump of metal attached at the front then.

What should we  call this new fangled design.

Electric motor home perhaps???

That's already old hat. Dethleffs presented that at the show last year.

Edited by Lutz

1 hour ago, Lutz said:

Yes it was a concept study that was presented at the show, but Dethleffs claim that they will be in a position to have a pre-production prototype running by late summer next year.

By the way, bendy buses aren't considered to be trailered. In fact, there were plans to introduce them in London on a trial basis a couple of years ago, but the road infrastructure didn't allow it (the corners at UK road junctions are often too sharp).

Bendy buses ran in London from 2001 until being withdrawn in 2011 - the buses were transfered to other operators in the UK although some went to Malta.

2 hours ago, Lutz said:

I would think that most stolen caravans end up where there is no electric hook-up present so such a caravan would actually be less attractive to the light fingered brigade.

That's already old hat. Dethleffs presented that at the show last year.

That's what I was driving at. A number of manufacturers are working on similar projects. I was involved with one a couple of years ago although the vehicle manufacturer has since pulled the plug ( no pun intended) on the base vehicle development.

Personally this is the way I see things going motor home sales have increased and caravans decreased, inevitably it would seem there will be a push towards hybrids or FEV.

9 hours ago, Lutz said:

I was rather meaning that the high value battery and motors would be attractive to move on (doh!) rather like stolen cars are broken up for spares.

7 hours ago, TinShack said:

I was rather meaning that the high value battery and motors would be attractive to move on (doh!) rather like stolen cars are broken up for spares.

That would only be worthwhile to the thief if there is a market for such spares. Assuming the batteries and electrical equipment are specific to the caravan and the numbers of electrically powered caravans around will probably remain small I can't imagine that there wouldn't be much demand for stolen batteries.

I'm all for innovation, but won't this mean a caravan has similar levels of technology to a motorhome, certainly reducing the price differential considerably.  

That would only leave the advantage of not losing your means of transport when pitched up. In other words, wouldn't we all must buy electric motorhomes instead (maybe one that tows a tiny electric car?)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lutz said:

That would only be worthwhile to the thief if there is a market for such spares. Assuming the batteries and electrical equipment are specific to the caravan and the numbers of electrically powered caravans around will probably remain small I can't imagine that there wouldn't be much demand for stolen batteries.

Massive demand for batteries for people making their own power walls.

13 hours ago, Lutz said:

I think you underestimate the avarice and stupidity of thieves. Motors and wiring will even be stolen for scrap value. Catalysts are stolen for platinum extraction. A motor of the power required here will be quite a valuable item. Sold as spares.

I wonder  what century it will be, when this electrically powered caravan would be able to travel from, say, Manchester to the south of France in less than a week ?

Going off grid, or to some quaint area would be out of bounds.

Getting campsites to invest in the infrastructure to be able to charge x number of caravans, for their return journey, would be prohibitive many still can only provide 10A at the bollard.

For a home charger, single phase, a slow charger needs a 15A supply, a medium charger 29A supply and a fast charger 91A three phase !

I can see those overhead cables and pole mounted transformers seen frequently in the countryside glowing  gently in the twilight sky.

Chargers for these £500 - £1,500 + !

I've seen a feasibility study done in Australia, can't find it at the moment, pertaining to electrically powered 40 ton artics.

Due to the manufacturer being unwilling to divulge the weight of the batteries and the motor / transmission unit these had to be arrived at by calculations based on smaller vans / trucks in use.

The calculation was a basic truck, minus engine, gearbox and ancillary engine components, fuel tank, exhaust etc, to this was added the weight of batteries and transmission components.

The elec truck was heavier which obviously reduced the payload per truck which increased the number of trucks and journey's needed to  transport a target load of 200 tons.

Good though electric transport may be, there isn't the infrastructure for charging in the UK, should there be a moderately swift increase in the uptake of electric vehicle of whatever description.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Silversurf said:

I wonder  what century it will be, when this electrically powered caravan would be able to travel from, say, Manchester to the south of France in less than a week ?

Whilst I don't think "electrically powdered axles for caravans" is the way forward for the industry and agree with svimes that the cost differential with Motor Homes starts to become blurred I wouldn't rule out dynamic charging solutions as a means to traveling long distances and the introduction of  specifically designed EVs for towing caravans.  

Maybe a caravan could be filled with batteries that are used to power the car and extend its range to compensate for towing. Similarly a trailer battery pack could extend a car's range and if such a trailer was designed/allowed to legally do 70 mph then there would be no travelling time penalty. Instead of petrol stations you could have trailer stations where you swap the discharged one for a fully charged one.