A week on Sunday, we're off to Chippenham just off J17 of the M4 at the Bristol end.   Staying on an adults only, Plough Lane Caravan Park.   Have stayed on this site once before about 5 years ago.   It was absolutely gorgeous.

Anyway, having thought about it, I will be doing my Christmas shopping in Bristol this time.   Coming from Manchester, I've done all the city markets, ie, Manchester, York, Lincoln, Bolton, even Botany Bay just off the M61 near Chorley (great place if you've never been before), even used to do the very cheap day trips to Calais (£10 with the car).  So going to do Bristol now:D.   Wouldn't mind so much, but it makes me ill just thinking about Christmas at the moment

42 minutes ago, Babstreefern said:

. . it makes me ill just thinking about Christmas at the moment

Well stop doing it then. You've given me a severe head ache. Christmas? Christmas?? Its summer! :(

Ern

The John Lewis website has had the Christmas section live for a few days now, I think they regard 1st September as D Day for the season.

Another bl**ming name change which just makes it longer to type. I've stuck to CC and I'll stick with JL.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Aaaaah not the Christmas word! Shops getting Christmas garbage in already:(

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

12 hours ago, DavS said:

Shops getting Christmas garbage in already

Some of them have to get the Halloween carp out of the way first. They should cut to the chase and just put Easter Eggs on the shelves now

We now only buy cheap £5/10 gifts for Christmas as Christmas as lost its true original meaning.   These gifts are bought during the year at sales.   It is not the value of the gift hat counts, it is the thought behind it.   I see no reason to spend hundreds of pounds on gifts lining the pockets of retailers plus the fact that the gifts will probably be discarded within months.

If I was staying at Plough Lane, I would go to Bath for the shopping! Far better than Bristol, and you can use one of the Park and Rides to get into the city!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

We're going to Moreton in Marsh CC site at October half term, it's a bit of a ritual for us as we get the majority of the Christmas shopping done from the various Cotswold towns.   It's also a nice walk into Moreton in the evening as there are several decent places to eat.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

I hate Shopping and apart from time off work I’m not a fan of Christmas either.

Bah humbug!

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

1 hour ago, GaryB1969 said:

We're going to Moreton in Marsh CC site at October half term, it's a bit of a ritual for us as we get the majority of the Christmas shopping done from the various Cotswold towns.   It's also a nice walk into Moreton in the evening as there are several decent places to eat.

We did shopping there once and you pay an arm, a leg and some more for anything.   Also found the quality of some goods to be below par.   However you have a market every Tuesday so maybe you get lucky.   :)

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

We did shopping there once and you pay an arm, a leg and some more for anything.   Also found the quality of some goods to be below par.   However you have a market every Tuesday so maybe you get lucky.   :)

The market is good for wrapping paper, cards etc, the shops in Moreton are good for seeing how some places sell average products for high-end prices.   Most of the shopping gets done in Evesham, eating and walking is reserved for the "quaint towns"!  Bourton is lovely but eye-wateringly expensive.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Oi you cannot be serious, the C word in the middle of September!!

and we are not allowed public flogging now (some sort of health & safety issue for the flogger no doubt)

its just not on

kot

pigs

Stopped in Snowdonia recently and the electric mountain shop was having a closing down sale which included lots of Christmas goodies which we  poor pensioners snapped up, Ho Ho Ho.

PS : Electric mountain is an awesome place to visit.

7 hours ago, Flying Grandad said:

Some of them have to get the Halloween carp out of the way first. They should cut to the chase and just put Easter Eggs on the shelves now

I remember one year when doing my weekly shop in Morrisons.   It was between Christmas and New Year, and they had the Easter eggs up and running:blink:.   At this point, if there are any selection boxes not sold, they will be going cheap, then get them for Easter instead.   Kids are not really bothered as long as they are chocolate.   Better than Easter eggs:D

Christmas threads should be banned until December:mellow:

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

10 hours ago, Durbanite said:

We now only buy cheap £5/10 gifts for Christmas as Christmas as lost its true original meaning.   These gifts are bought during the year at sales.   It is not the value of the gift hat counts, it is the thought behind it.   I see no reason to spend hundreds of pounds on gifts lining the pockets of retailers plus the fact that the gifts will probably be discarded within months.

That seems to be the South African way.

When we visited OH’s sister near Cape Town over Christmas and New Year a few years back, we were told to only spend a maximum of 200 Rands on each present.

Best thing was though, there was no hype at all, just all very low key. Very little sign of Christmas in the shops.

On New Years Eve, at 11. 59, a clock face appeared on tv over the programme being watched, counting down. At midnight, Happy New Year flashed on the screen and that was it. Fantastic, wish it were like that here.

Or has it changed over there?

We’ve now turned the Christmas new year thing into a bit of a new year jape.

A challenge to get as bad a ‘secret santa’ for a budget of a fiver. Only rule is it’s got to be in the post Christmas  sale and prices must remain on the said item.  Tried it this year for the first time and it’s amazing what guff you can get for rock bottom prices too. Some of the gifts received were better than those paid at full price at Christmas!

12 hours ago, Durbanite said:

We now only buy cheap £5/10 gifts for Christmas as Christmas has lost its true original meaning.    

It did that when the christians hijacked it from the pagans. ..............

Mrs W makes & sells christmas stuff as well as kits for others to make so we start thinking about christmas in about february as we have to order the stuff then.  

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Mrs SDA currently directs four choirs and starts thinking about the programme for their Christmas concerts in April/May and orders the music in July. It's delivered during the summer holidays, often from the USA. It then has to be sorted into individual folders so that each singer has a full set. One choir has 80 members, so it's not a quick job. Happily all comes together for the start of the rehearsal season, this week.

13 hours ago, hp100425ev said:

That seems to be the South African way.

When we visited OH’s sister near Cape Town over Christmas and New Year a few years back, we were told to only spend a maximum of 200 Rands on each present.

Best thing was though, there was no hype at all, just all very low key. Very little sign of Christmas in the shops.

On New Years Eve, at 11. 59, a clock face appeared on tv over the programme being watched, counting down. At midnight, Happy New Year flashed on the screen and that was it. Fantastic, wish it were like that here.

Or has it changed over there?

Have not spent a Christmas in SA for 25 years so no idea.   Christmas was always low key with big celebrations on New Years.   In Cape Town they have two days off for New Year with the second one for the minstral's carnival which is a sight to see.   When I lived in Cape Town every year we used to go to watch them.   Very entertaining.

When we had a pub, had to put the Christmas beer/spirits order in July, and had the bottles delivered in August and the mild and bitter, which was pumped from tankers into our tanks, at beginning of December

I'm reminded of a few years back when we filled up at a service station near Abergavenny. There were a dozen or more outer cartons of mince pies piled up just outside the shop door. It was mid August. When I asked the assistant about them she said the manager had ordered them. She then cast her eyes heavenward. Enough said.