Bailey Ridgeway

Anybody know anything about a new Bailey range called the Bailey Ridgeway? Followed a low loader through Bristol with two on today. Internet very quiet other than at Swindon Caravans in Reading. .? Where does this sit in the range? 

New 2019 range from Bailey.

It looks like they want them in place with selected dealers before the official launch

B)

2 hours ago, Humpy76 said:

Anybody know anything about a new Bailey range called the Bailey Ridgeway? Followed a low loader through Bristol with two on today. Internet very quiet other than at Swindon Caravans in Reading. .? Where does this sit in the range? 

I was at Swindon on the weekend and saw one there. Asked about it and it’s their own bespoke model and based on the new Phoenix model.

As said, it's a 'dealer special' Pheonix which will have a few extras, and different upholstery fabric and vinyl decals. More and more dealership groups are going for dealer specials as they provide some form of exclusivity that the standard branded product doesn't and they hope to be able to preserve margins that way. Their marketing folk think that it also builds customer loyalty and dealer awareness, though how much they're worth in the caravan market is highly questionable. It does leave you wondering what will eventually happen to standard manufacturer brands if the market carries on sort of fragmenting in this way.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Sounds like Bailey have eventually followed other manufacturers with allowing dealers to input their own designs . .. Especially with the Phoenix already having various factory options.

6 minutes ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

As said, it's a 'dealer special' Pheonix which will have a few extras, and different upholstery fabric and vinyl decals. More and more dealership groups are going for dealer specials as they provide some form of exclusivity that the standard branded product doesn't and they hope to be able to preserve margins that way. Their marketing folk think that it also builds customer loyalty and dealer awareness, though how much they're worth in the caravan market is highly questionable. It does leave you wondering what will eventually happen to standard manufacturer brands if the market carries on sort of fragmenting in this way.

Interesting the dealer advised me that this one is actually completed in the factory by Bailey, rather than the dealer on their premises. Swindon have only just started doing this again as Bailey have only just started doing specials from their factory again

Aren't all dealer specials built on the same production lines as the main stream models?

I can't see that dealerships have the available labour to up spec their dealer specials. ....:unsure:

The Platinum ll is Chipping Sodbury caravans own model, based on the Phoenix. Treated ourselves to one yesterday to replace our Pursuit Platinum edition!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Up until about two years ago Bailey didn't do dealer specials but the growing percentage of production in that form for the other UK brands sort of forced them to rethink and join the trend. Dealer specials are always built on the same line as the standard product. Having said that I do know that the 2012MY Lunar dealer specials for Sussex Caravans had their decals applied by Sussex. Apparently they needed the vans for a launch and they were at Preston without decals. Lunar had no capacity to fit the decals in time, so the bare vans were shipped to Ashingdon and Sussex staff decorated the exteriors.

I also have a Lunar dealer special from Robinsons though its my 1st from that brand having deserted the Bailey umbrella.

Bailey have authorised a number of dealer specials of the Phoenix.  No doubt the dealers will be at the N E C show.  

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

10 hours ago, Humpy76 said:

Hi check out  THE TRUDGIANS on you tube .  ( Dan did a review on the ridgeway ) They are buying a new ridgeway . It may give more info etc.

Edited by J & S
On 11/09/2018 at 00:54, milkymarsh said:

I was at Swindon on the weekend and saw one there. Asked about it and it’s their own bespoke model and based on the new Phoenix model.

. . . And very nice it is too . . . but in my opinion it is not without its design errors

WP_20180913_004a.jpg WP_20180913_055a.jpg

The pointed locker lid may well prove to be hazardous

WP_20180913_023a.jpg 

The fridge door that obstructs the exit when open and should be hung on the left of the fridge 

WP_20180913_031a.jpg

The Ridgeway 644 has a transverse double bed

WP_20180913_001a.jpg

The Ridgeway 642 has twin single beds

WP_20180913_040a.jpg

Sorry about the sun in the lens but the rear wall looks rather bland

WP_20180913_038a.jpg

It's a dealer special version of the Phoenix, available from Swindon Caravans in Swindon, Oxford and Reading.

WP_20180913_052a.jpg

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

4 minutes ago, Gordon said:

The pointed locker lid may well prove to be hazardous

But it's no more pointy than the other overhead lockers?

5 minutes ago, Gordon said:

The fridge door that obstructs the exit when open and should be hung on the left of the fridge 

It would probably have had to be further forward to allow it not to interact with the furniture to the rear? I think I could live with that and the slightly longer front lounge that it liberates.

3 minutes ago, svimes said:

But it's no more pointy than the other overhead lockers?

Yes but not all overhead lockers have side hinged three-sided lids.

3 minutes ago, svimes said:

It would probably have had to be further forward to allow it not to interact with the furniture to the rear? I think I could live with that and the slightly longer front lounge that it liberates.

On close inspection I believe there would be room to hinge the fridge door on the left (safe) side, so it would be pushed shut and out of the way should anybody need to exit the rear of the caravan in a hurry. As it is, it could well hinder a quick exit in an emergency.

These are just my opinions of course and others may disagree. The overall impression however was of a well constructed caravan that hopefully will give years of service.

Gordon

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

Surely the locker issue Gordon mentions will be inherent in all Bailey Pheonix models, whether dealer special or not. And the fridge issue will be the same on all Pheonix based vans of that layout.  

1 hour ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

Surely the locker issue Gordon mentions will be inherent in all Bailey Pheonix models, whether dealer special or not. And the fridge issue will be the same on all Pheonix based vans of that layout.   

Indeed. Though I think most won't think of them as issues!

Neither would keep me awake at night - however the specials based on the Phoenix seem to be the same/ even more expensive than the Pegasus which just shows how close in price Bailey have these two models.

11 hours ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

I confess that I didn't check the standard Phoenix model Andy but the salesman implied that the locker lid was unique to the Ridgeway model. Maybe someone with a Phoenix could clarify this? The fridge issue probably is common to both models but again I cannot confirm this. This was the same on one of our previous caravans so I reversed the fridge door myself. It's not difficult, just a little fiddly as the unit has to be pulled forward to gain access to the screws for the lower hinge mount.

3 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

Neither would keep me awake at night - however the specials based on the Phoenix seem to be the same/ even more expensive than the Pegasus which just shows how close in price Bailey have these two models.

The price of the Ridgeway was identical to the standard Phoenix when I looked a couple of days back, so effectively any additional goodies, and the change of upholstery were free (if there is such a thing these days).

Gordon.

2 minutes ago, Gordon said:

The fridge issue probably is common to both models but again I cannot confirm this. This was the same on one of our previous caravans so I reversed the fridge door myself. It's not difficult, just a little fiddly as the unit has to be pulled forward to gain access to the screws for the lower hinge mount.

I mentioned the fridge door (and wondered whether there is space to swap it) as we have a similar issue on our caravan.   The door opens the "right" way - if it didn't it would cut across cupboards and the oven! but it cant open beyond 90 degrees because of the adjacent bench seat  This makes getting the veg box in and out a little difficult. In our case, the fact that the obstruction is a squishy cushion means it's not a problem, in the Bailey the obstruction would be a hard edge of furniture.   

image.png.b694641fd9d9a104c6f768a116ebfd12.pngimage.png.4e595efc7fa0c50dc99ea8ff70313f00.png

2 hours ago, Gordon said:

The price of the Ridgeway was identical to the standard Phoenix when I looked a couple of days back, so effectively any additional goodies, and the change of upholstery were free (if there is such a thing these days).

Gordon.

Ah, I was looking at the Chipping Sodbury Platinum 2 although cant see the prices now.

Assuming the Ridgeway includes delivery then yes it does look decent VFM.

2 hours ago, svimes said:

The door opens the "right" way - if it didn't it would cut across cupboards and the oven! but it cant open beyond 90 degrees because of the adjacent bench seat  

I can appreciate the problem as we had the same arrangement on our late 80s Perle Olympus caravan. Back in the day the RM212 fridge was fitted but unlike today's designs where the door has a bowed front, the old Electrolux had a flat front that allowed the door to open a little over 90° before hitting the front dinette cushion.

Perle Olympus DD6 fridge 1988.jpg

14 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

Assuming the Ridgeway includes delivery then yes it does look decent VFM.

The window price was £19,300 for the 644 model Ridgeway

10 hours ago, FrankBullet said:

The Pegasus is going to become Bailey’s venture into the 8 ft market.  I predict a price rise for the Pegasus ‘Grande’. To move it further away from pheonix.  

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

Well I predict I will buy a 8’ wide when I try seasonal pitch in 3-4 years time and it will be swift!