VW Passat Estate

33 minutes ago, logiclee said:

I've owned several SUV's, Land Rover's Jeep's and Skoda's. Mainly for when I needed the weight or needed off road capability.

But I've never understood the why the general public would prefer a 2WD SUV that is little more than a raised version of the hatchback.

You pay more money for a car that uses more fuel, has less performance and has it's ride and handling compromised.

There is some argument for a higher seating position if you are getting on a bit but currently it's younger people making up a large proportion of buyers because they are trendy.

A triumph of marketing. Sell you something more expensive, compromised, that you don't need because it's fashionable.  

The last couple of years we ran a Yeti and Octavia. Same platform, same engine. The Yeti has always received excellent reviews and they are great. But the Octavia is more comfortable, handles better, was quicker, has far more space and on my 60 mile a day commute was 10mpg more efficient.  

Lee

2wd SUVs, often called crossovers, are big sellers - the seating position is higher giving a higher eyeline, which even younger people like, and easier to get children out of as well as easier for those less capable to get in, and especially out of - and are space efficient.

My son has estates, a Vectra-C followed by an Octavia - both are a pain to get out of for me and my disability is very low.

As well as crossovers and 2wd SUVs, many 4wd SUVs are 2wd for 99% of the time.

39 minutes ago, logiclee said:

It is.   But how much of that preference is down to marketing and fashion rather than buying the best car for them?

How much of that preference is the need to have a SUV on the drive?

People chose cars for a multitude of reasons, otherwise we would all drive the right-size box for our basic human needs - I personally don’t get the SUV thing either but my mate with the Qashqai reckons my Passat is ‘too big’ for modern roads so who is being profligate, me or him?

I would happily own a Golf-size car but weight for towing is a specific problem for many of them - I am aware that if we go for a big caravan next time then a Passat may not be heavy enough unless I get that BiTDi 240 4 motion which probably uses more resources and takes up more road space than many a similar weight SUV.

10 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

People chose cars for a multitude of reasons, otherwise we would all drive the right-size box for our basic human needs - I personally don’t get the SUV thing either but my mate with the Qashqai reckons my Passat is ‘too big’ for modern roads so who is being profligate, me or him?

I would happily own a Golf-size car but weight for towing is a specific problem for many of them - I am aware that if we go for a big caravan next time then a Passat may not be heavy enough unless I get that BiTDi 240 4 motion which probably uses more resources and takes up more road space than many a similar weight SUV.

Passat's roughly the same width as the Qashqai and about 16" longer depending on model, hardly a 7 series. .  Compared to a larger SUV like the Kodiaq the Passat is narrower and just a few inches difference in length.

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Here's my set up. No problems at all. Tows at 78%

IMG_1638 (2017_12_09 12_43_05 UTC).JPG

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

Another happy Passat user here!      John.

IMG_0907.jpg

3 hours ago, Leedslad said:

Another happy Passat user here!      John.

IMG_0907.jpg

I do like the allroad versions. Looks great

I get why people buy SUV's and don't get me wrong they make good towcars but they are just not for me, I prefer the handling of an estate, the generally better fuel economy and don't have the need for increased height so personally I wouldn't buy one. Also I use roof mounted bike racks which are easily accessible at estate height, not sure it would be as easy on an SUV 😀

• 11 months later...

Hi,

i’m really sorry to drag up an old thread - thought it better than starting a new one?

Myself and my wife have started the fateful journey of looking at entering the world of caravanning. After initial excitement, it looks like a minefield!!!

I currently drive a 2013 Audi A4 Avant which to be honest I’m looking at to trade in. However, my job involves lots of driving on motorways (30,000 miles/year), so I didn’t like the thought of buying a 4x4 or SUV for daily driving just because I want into the caravan lifestyle. I’ve always liked the Passat and assumed it’d be a good tow car, however the caravans we seem to like seem to have a MLPTM of between 1,300 and 1,500kg!!! I passed my test in 2005, so looking likely I may need to do a B+E anyway which isn’t an issue, the issue is that I’m really nervous about the “85%” guideline for towing. I’m clearly an experience driver, but I’m not going to lie - towing scares me a little!!!

Am I being unrealistic looking at caravans so close to kerbweight on the Passat B8 estate? You get so much kit on a 2018 SE Business model as well..

Thanks in advance - I’ll get round to introducing myself shortly!

Jon

17 minutes ago, Bodster said:

Am I being unrealistic looking at caravans so close to kerbweight on the Passat B8 estate? You get so much kit on a 2018 SE Business model as well..

I'd say"no, you aren't"

The Passat is a good tow car with the right engine and the 85% thing has little science.

Do your b+e, learn about correct loading and nose weight and make sure your tyres, suspension, brakes and Caravan are in good nick. Take it easy to start with.

We tow a 1550kg van with a 5 series. You'd be looking at an A6 or 5 series or maybe a heavier C class to get to 85% at the upper end of your potential Caravan weight range but you will probably only tow for a small amount of time.

We tow 1300kg with our Passat 2.0TDi manual estate and it’s entirely stable and performs well - not sure if I’m a novice or more experienced yet (3 years of towing) and I would happily put more on the back although if the car is loaded I don’t think 1500kg would see a rapid outfit (it wouldn’t be ‘slow’ though).

The manual Estate is 1505kg, the DSG is something like 1545kg, when I bought mine the SE Business had a really odd spec so we went for the GT but they’ve since fitted climate, heated seats and LED headlights onto the model so we’ll specified.

I'm on my third Passat!  They're a great tow car - nice and stable.  Mine is an Alltrack and I tow a Coachman 2 berth, so I'm well on top of the job, which is just as well as we enjoy visiting some quite rural parts of southern France.  Good luck!

John.

There's a chap on the pitch opposite on the campsite that I'm staying at here in France at the moment who towed an 1800kg caravan all the way from home with his Passat Estate (I don't know what engine it's got though, I haven't asked).

Edited by Lutz

Thanks all for the quick and helpful responses!

I’d be looking at the 2.0tdi with DSG as I’m sick of manuals, so 1545kg kerbweight. I’m guessing the 1.6tdi will be a bit gutless to tow.

Looks like the Passat could be a good choice then!

Edited by Bodster
12 minutes ago, Bodster said:

I’m guessing the 1.6tdi will be a bit gutless to tow.

...and an unreliable pile of plop!

Not driven one in the Passat but have in a Touran and Q2 courtesy cars and it’s soo far behind the 2.0TDi in terms of performance it’s embarrassing.

4 hours ago, Bodster said:

Hi,

i’m really sorry to drag up an old thread - thought it better than starting a new one?

Myself and my wife have started the fateful journey of looking at entering the world of caravanning. After initial excitement, it looks like a minefield!!!

I currently drive a 2013 Audi A4 Avant which to be honest I’m looking at to trade in. However, my job involves lots of driving on motorways (30,000 miles/year), so I didn’t like the thought of buying a 4x4 or SUV for daily driving just because I want into the caravan lifestyle. I’ve always liked the Passat and assumed it’d be a good tow car, however the caravans we seem to like seem to have a MLPTM of between 1,300 and 1,500kg!!! I passed my test in 2005, so looking likely I may need to do a B+E anyway which isn’t an issue, the issue is that I’m really nervous about the “85%” guideline for towing. I’m clearly an experience driver, but I’m not going to lie - towing scares me a little!!!

Thanks in advance - I’ll get round to introducing myself shortly!

Jon

We have a 18 plate 150TDi GT Passat Estate with which we tow a Unicorn 4 Seville at 1450Kg and on our last two outings we have averaged well north of 34mpg. We had a B6 estate (thats the bullseye rear lights) and there was nothing on that that startled other than the very comfy all leather seats.

We then got a 14 plate B7 Executive Style which I admit I liked not least as it has HID headlights and very good DRLs around the headlamp frame. Downside was the seats were bucket type and just a tad too narrow for my bum so to avoid hip pain I used to sit on a folded Terry towel inside a pillowcase which just raised me enough.

As said above we now have the B8 150GT which is undoubtedly the best (the first two were both 140TDi.) The thing that I am now aware of is the ride. The B6 had 235/45R17 tyres which gave a good ride but not good mpg (about 28); the B7 had 235/40R18 tyres which were as hard as nails and joggled quite a bit. We now have 235/45R18 which are back to smooth riding, plus VW no specify economy and comfort tyre pressures (36/42 and 33/33 respectively.) None of them have ever given us a moments trouble, and the Infotainment unit in the latest (Discovery Media) is fantastic <and> you get free twice-yearly map updates.

9 hours ago, Bodster said:

Thanks all for the quick and helpful responses!

I’d be looking at the 2.0tdi with DSG as I’m sick of manuals, so 1545kg kerbweight. I’m guessing the 1.6tdi will be a bit gutless to tow.

Looks like the Passat could be a good choice then!

The 1.6TDi also gets a different DSG gearbox with dry clutches. It's not suited to towing and has reliability issues.

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

In the end after much consideration I went for a BMW 3 series touring, the low kerb weight of the passat was my main issue and having driven both in my opinion the BMW is a better drive.  The BMW has a kerb weight of 1615kg which gives my about an 86% match with my van (1380kgs mtplm) and it tows really well and is very stable. Also the BMW has 218 bhp and 331lbs/ft of torque which makes towing easy when going up hill etc, I felt the passat was a little under powered. Admittedly the Passat has a larger boot, the 3 BMW's is quite small by comparison but for me overall it was a better choice. I don't doubt that the Passat is also a great tow car but I personally feel more comfortable with a heavier car. 

16 minutes ago, Padmiester said:

In the end after much consideration I went for a BMW 3 series touring, the low kerb weight of the passat was my main issue and having driven both in my opinion the BMW is a better drive.  The BMW has a kerb weight of 1615kg which gives my about an 86% match with my van (1380kgs mtplm) and it tows really well and is very stable. Also the BMW has 218 bhp and 331lbs/ft of torque which makes towing easy when going up hill etc, I felt the passat was a little under powered. Admittedly the Passat has a larger boot, the 3 BMW's is quite small by comparison but for me overall it was a better choice. I don't doubt that the Passat is also a great tow car but I personally feel more comfortable with a heavier car. 

Manual or auto?

32 minutes ago, Padmiester said:

Manual, not a fan of auto's

A shame as the 3 series has the best automatic gearbox on sale and one very suited to towing.

Edited by logiclee

13 hours ago, Padmiester said:

Manual, not a fan of auto's

I'm on my second auto first was a TC box and present one a DSG, and I have zero interest in ever going back to moving a stick around, although I can if I want with either auto, best of both worlds IMO.