VW Passat Estate

I am looking at possibly buying a current VW Passat Estate and having read all the reviews and looked at the tow car awards it has won it seems like a good option. However the latest model has quite a low kerb weight (1505kg on the particular model I am looking at) but it still retains its healthy 2000kg towing limit. So my question is does it still remain a good option to tow my van with a mtplm of 1380kgs? I don't want to get into the 85% debate (I would be looking at a 92% match anyways) I'm just interested in what people's views of the car are, particularly anybody towing with one over 1300kgs.

Thanks

Paul

I had a 2006 model from new for four years, a 2. 0 TDi (140bhp) towing a 1425kg MTPLM caravan and it was fine

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Which model and engine type/size are you considering? The kerbweight should be around 1525Kg and the towing weight should be 1800Kg unless something has seriously changed. Look at the black plate at the bottom of the nearside B-pillar (the one between the front and back doors.) Of the top two figures subtracting the smaller from the larger will give you the maximum towing weight. Depending on the make of towbar you will get 85-90Kg noseweight (I have the Westfalia detachable which is the factory fit supplier for VW.)

We had a B6 2L 140 CR TDi  Highline and now have a B7 Executive Style with BMT and the same engine and it tows our 1450Kg caravan superbly. We get 50-ish mpg solo local and up to 60mpg or more on a longer run, and anything  28-33mpg towing depending on speed/terrain etc. If you are looking for new your options now will be 150bhp or the 256bhp bi-turbo as the 190bhp has been dropped from the current range - and as a consequence from the option in the used range also. However if you are looking for the 190bhp then select the 256 and you may find some 190s in there.

If you want new and the 190bhp appeals look at the Skoda Superb Estate which has the 190 option but not the 256. The Superb is . ... superb, not least because although it uses the same chassis and pretty well everything else in the running gear of the Passat it is slightly stretched which gives significantly more rear seat legroom. I am just over 6ft and can sit with my legs in front of me with the front seat fully back not touching it. There is a good argument for the Skoda as their QC is well known for being better than VW, Audi, or Seat, they are cheaper, and they have better dealers - and I speak as a former Skoda owner who still takes his Passat to a former Skoda garage for servicing!

I would finally add that the auto-hold electrically controlled (hand)brake is the best thing ever invented for towing. None of that getting the right instant to release the handbrake, rather you just drive off. I know a few people who have the DSG 'flappy paddle' auto gearbox and they swear by it, save that for towing you might need to add an oil cooler.

Edited by Woodentop

Thanks for the advice, from what I gather previous models had a much higher kerb weight, the current model has been lightened to make it more efficient, great for fuel economy not so good for towing ☹️. The model I am looking at is a 2015 SE Business 150bhp manual, mainly due to its high fuel economy, practicality and the £20 rfl.

Towed 1460kg behind three 2. 0TDi Passat's with no issues,

To clear up a couple of the earlier comments.

Autohold does not use the electronically controlled handbrake, it's a separate system that holds hydraulic brake pressure on all four wheels. It's only fitted to cars with electric handbrake so the handbrake can automatically operate if Autohold is cancelled for any reason.

You do not need an oil coolers on DSG gearboxes.

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

When I had mine in 2006 VW literature listed the kerbweight as the MAXIMUM which was around 1700kgs (which was for the heaviest model in the range), as said above, the average/usual was just over 1500kgs.

My current Passat Estate is my third - I like them very much as a tow car / camping gear carrier.  I tow a lighter caravan but see no reason not to tow at 92% as it's such a stable tow car.

John.

OP is looking at a B8 Passat, the figures are the same as mine (2. 0TDi 150 GT) - I tow a caravan with an increased MTPLM to 1300kg although my calcs suggest it is about 1275kg in use so lighter than you are looking for. But we do load the car up with bikes on the roof etc

Frankly it’s excellent, happy at a genuine 60mph and very stable, it will pull 6th in most circumstances only notable inclines will require a change down to 5th and rarely 4th. The hill hold makes hill starts easy, even with the manual box. If we bought a caravan with another 100kg in it I’d happily keep this car.

I know somebody with the same model that has been remapped - on a rolling road the car was 159bhp and 273lb/ft in before remap, this feels right as it doesn’t feel weaker than my old car (with 273lb/ft)

They are excellent overall too.

We looked at the Superb Estate but in the end didn’t go for one despite being tempted.  

They have slightly more legroom but are not quite as well designed for 3-abrest in the back - comparing Passat SE Business and Superb SE is quite clean (no Sat Nav on the Skoda though, no climate at the time on the VW) but we wanted more goodies and I couldn’t find any SEL’s at the time unless they were way more expensive than the Passat GT we bought.  Our Passat has heated seats, separate climate for the rear seats and you can fold the back seats down from the boot which is an option on the Superb.

Skoda do a Business Edition which gets close but no heated bum warmers which were a clincher for me, if looking at new the VW Passat SE Business really has an excellent spec, with both 3-zone climate and bum warmers now fitted plus LED Headlights.

I’m afraid the spec on the Superb is really way behind the Passat now. Used a Superb SE or Business Edition v Passat SE Business is worth looking at.

Again thanks for all the advice, I have looked at the Superb but as FrankBullet points out you seem to get a slightly better spec on the Passat although I realise they are essentially the same car. Also for the money I am looking at spending I would be looking at a previous generation Superb, which I don't find that great to look at. The new one is a nice looking car but still a bit expensive second hand.  

As for Passat in reality as with most people the car will always be heavier than the kerb weight, 2 kids, the wife, a boot full of stuff and bikes on the roof so I can easily add 200kg + when towing so would be looking at an 80% match anyways so all good in that respect.  

Thinking after all the positive comments that it may well be the car of choice.  

Thanks again 👍

Edited by Padmiester

Slightly off-topic, BUT when the Superb was released (2003?) some of our guys had them as company cars.   One queried with the dealer as to why an estate wasn't on the cards and the salesman told him that if Skoda did produce a Superb estate he'd never sell another Passat or Audi A4 estate again!

37 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

Slightly off-topic, BUT when the Superb was released (2003?) some of our guys had them as company cars.   One queried with the dealer as to why an estate wasn't on the cards and the salesman told him that if Skoda did produce a Superb estate he'd never sell another Passat or Audi A4 estate again!

The actual statement from VAG was they were worried about sales being robbed from the Passat and A6 Estate.  

The original superb was longitudinal engined on the same chassis that Audi used.

It wasn't until the Superb moved to VW's transverse engined platform that VAG allowed Skoda to do a Combi (Estate)

Earlier comments about the Passat being better specced model for model than the Superb is a deliberate shift.

VAG's new bosses have a problem that VW sales are in decline and Skoda sales are still growing. Also diesel engined sales are in decline and these engines are made in Germany. Small turbo petrol engine sales are on the increase and these are made in Skoda's engine plant in the Czech Republic. Same goes for gearboxes, Skoda's plant make manuals and DSG's for smaller petrol and diesel models.

So the very strong German unions have been pressing for brand realignment.  Skoda's wings were clipped a couple of years ago and they now have to be careful not to outspec and undercut VW models too far

It's come full circle. Once Skoda advertised they used VW parts but now a lot of VW and Audi drive trains are built by Skoda.

VAG are having to protect VW sales from Skoda to preserve German jobs. Currently the Skoda Karoq is being built in a VW factory in Germany while the Skoda plant undergoes another massive expansion.

Lee

Edited by logiclee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

38 minutes ago, logiclee said:

The actual statement from VAG was they were worried about sales being robbed from the Passat and A6 Estate.  

The original superb was longitudinal engined on the same chassis that Audi used.

It wasn't until the Superb moved to VW's transverse engined platform that VAG allowed Skoda to do a Combi (Estate)

Earlier comments about the Passat being better specced model for model than the Superb is a deliberate shift.

VAG's new bosses have a problem that VW sales are in decline and Skoda sales are still growing. Also diesel engined sales are in decline and these engines are made in Germany. Small turbo petrol engine sales are on the increase and these are made in Skoda's engine plant in the Czech Republic. Same goes for gearboxes, Skoda's plant make manuals and DSG's for smaller petrol and diesel models.

So the very strong German unions have been pressing for brand realignment.  Skoda's wings were clipped a couple of years ago and they now have to be careful not to outspec and undercut VW models too far

It's come full circle. Once Skoda advertised they used VW parts but now a lot of VW and Audi drive trains are built by Skoda.

VAG are having to protect VW sales from Skoda to preserve German jobs. Currently the Skoda Karoq is being built in a VW factory in Germany while the Skoda plant undergoes another massive expansion.

Lee

They build good VWs at the Skoda factory in Bratislavia :)

28 minutes ago, logiclee said:

Lee

Fascinating Lee. I am tempted by the upcoming Seat Taracco, which is basically a reskinned sporty version of the Skoda Kodiaq/Tiguan Allspace.

As you say, amazing the fact that Skoda are on the rise & VW on the decline. Wife has the mk7. 5 golf & its prob one of the best cars around (just wish we'd gone for the 1. 0 turbo petrol instead of the 1. 6 tdi - we tried one recently & it put a real smile on your face driving it)

If you are looking for one of the earlier B8 Passat SE Businesses, there are a few 64-plate models out there loaded with extras - I think they were used as press/ fleet cars, quite a few seem to have Nappa leather (which includes heated seats), 3-zone climate and the upgraded Nav amongst other things.

Prices do seem to be holding, mind, I quite often see approved used cars similar age and mileage (when we bought it) to mine with a similar sticker price

1 hour ago, logiclee said:

I was nearly right!

I had a 2011 2. 0 TDi blue motion until this summer.  It towed a 1300kg van with ease.  I've just upgraded to a 2017 alltrack with dsg gearbox.  Am now towing a 1450kg van with even greater ease.  The combination of the gearbox, the hill-hold, electronic handbreak and trailer stability all add confidence.  SUVs are all the rage at the present, don't dismiss the humble estate; they have a lower centre of gravity and a bigger boot!

I have managed to have a look at a few Passat's this week and am impressed, the build quality is good as you would expect, it drives really well, fuel economy solo at least is excellent and the boot is huge so it pretty much ticks all the boxes. From the comments towing my van shouldn't be a problem either.  

One of the ones I looked at has a electric towbar which I haven't used before. Does anyone have any experience of one?  Seems a good idea in theory, my only concern being if it goes wrong, do they have a manual override? 

Min, have always had estates for towing, I don't have the need for an SUV and have never really been that fussed on them to be honest. As you say estates are way more practical 👍

10 minutes ago, Padmiester said:

I have managed to have a look at a few Passat's this week and am impressed, the build quality is good as you would expect, it drives really well, fuel economy solo at least is excellent and the boot is huge so it pretty much ticks all the boxes. From the comments towing my van shouldn't be a problem either.  

One of the ones I looked at has a electric towbar which I haven't used before. Does anyone have any experience of one?  Seems a good idea in theory, my only concern being if it goes wrong, do they have a manual override? 

Min, have always had estates for towing, I don't have the need for an SUV and have never really been that fussed on them to be honest. As you say estates are way more practical 👍

I have a similar electric towbar on my Touareg - I'm not aware of any manual override - if you order a factory-fitted one, it'll include any uprated parts needed for towing, if the Passat needs them.

To me a SUV is just an estate with lifted suspension - necessary in certain off-road terrains and much easier day-to-day for old folks, like me, to get in and especially out of.

29 minutes ago, Padmiester said:

I've owned several SUV's, Land Rover's Jeep's and Skoda's. Mainly for when I needed the weight or needed off road capability.

But I've never understood the why the general public would prefer a 2WD SUV that is little more than a raised version of the hatchback.

You pay more money for a car that uses more fuel, has less performance and has it's ride and handling compromised.

There is some argument for a higher seating position if you are getting on a bit but currently it's younger people making up a large proportion of buyers because they are trendy.

A triumph of marketing. Sell you something more expensive, compromised, that you don't need because it's fashionable.  

The last couple of years we ran a Yeti and Octavia. Same platform, same engine. The Yeti has always received excellent reviews and they are great. But the Octavia is more comfortable, handles better, was quicker, has far more space and on my 60 mile a day commute was 10mpg more efficient.  

Lee

Edited by logiclee

8 minutes ago, logiclee said:

I've owned several SUV's, Land Rover's Jeep's and Skoda's. Mainly for when I needed the weight or needed off road capability.

But I've never understood the why the general public would prefer a 2WD SUV that is little more than a raised version of the hatchback.

You pay more money for a car that uses more fuel, has less performance and has it's ride and handling compromised.

There is some argument for a higher seating position if you are getting on a bit but currently it's younger people making up a large proportion of buyers because they are trendy.

A triumph of marketing. Sell you something more expensive, compromised, that you don't need because it's fashionable.  

The last couple of years we ran a Yeti and Octavia. Same platform, same engine. The Yeti has always received excellent reviews and they are great. But the Octavia is more comfortable, handles better, was quicker, has far more space and on my 60 mile a day commute was 10mpg more efficient.  

Lee

Simple - it's down to choice and preference.

My best mate has a Qashqai, does nothing for me but for relatively little road space you gets excellent interior space and visibility.  

If everything was based on 'need' we would all drive a Dacia or SSangyong

Never used the electric towbar in the Passat, ours has an aftermarket demountable, so long as you fit the dedicated electrics the car is fully configured.

34 minutes ago, logiclee said:

Apple have been doing it for years :D

3 minutes ago, AndyPoole said:

Apple have been doing it for years :D

Oooohhhhh. Don't get me started on Apple.  

16 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

Simple - it's down to choice and preference.

It is.   But how much of that preference is down to marketing and fashion rather than buying the best car for them?

How much of that preference is the need to have a SUV on the drive?

It's a trend I dont understand as I always find SUV's compromised when used as a solo tarmac road car.

A recent review I watched of the C Cross, Troc and Arona concluded you would be better buying the Golf and that's the sort of review I agree with.