Sign in to follow this  
Higgy

Rear view camera to see the Vans corners?

I have had a look through some previous posts with regards to rear cameras but can't quite find the right thing.

We have recently changed from a single axle to a longer twin, the storage yard is extremely tight and the owner said prior to my purchase you might struggle getting in/out, however there are a couple of twins in the yard.

Changing yards is not really an option as this is only 3 miles away and places at other yards are hard to come by.  

The obvious thing is to have my wife with me to watch me through the gates, however this will not always be possible.

Is there a bubble camera or similar that will show the corners of the van, as when I put it in the yard  I literally had about an inch of clearance and had to keep getting out to check.

Any help gratefully received.

Assuming that you are towing through the gate in a straight line then your normal extension mirrors should show you the clearance each side, therefore it sounds to me that you are looking for something to tell you when the rear of the caravan is clear of the gates, so you can turn. We have a camera mounted high on the rear wall of our motorhome but I am not sure that I would use it to judge clearances as small as an inch as the image just isn't that good, even if the camera was angled down more.

RearView.jpg

Personally I don't like the things but your situation sounds to me like the perfect use for a motor mover if you are to easily store and/or retrieve the caravan alone.

Gordon

I agree tgat a mover is the way to go otherwise you may eventually hit something.

I agree with Gordon, a mover is the answer.

But I would also recommend buying a pair of “walky-talkies” so that you and SWMBO can watch all sides simultaneously and communicate directly verbally rather than by waving arms and shouting! We bought a pair of Retevis units on Amazon for about £24, they have proved to be absolutely fabulous both when manoevering the van and also checking rear lights. £24 well spent to hopefully stave off the inevitable divorce!

DrBob

Edited by DrBob

Having had a big twin axle in a reasonably tight storage yard for a good few years i can only agree with whats been said above - have a mover fitted.

Thanks for the comments, The access gate runs paralell to the single track, it's the back of the van swinging around  and hitting  a fence that is the issue. I have  a mover and did think about unhitching, using the mover through the gate then re hitching as I'm at the far end of the yard which is a good 3-400 metres away.  

There are literally hundreds of such products on the market, try Amazon and https://www. parkingcameras. com. I'm currently designing a parking / dashboard camera (for personal use) and I can tell you you can't even make them cheaper than they're being sold commercially.

you could probably go for a 360 surround view camera or side view cameras mounted at the top maybe halfway along the side of the van

On 06/09/2018 at 07:37, Higgy said:

I literally had about an inch of clearance and had to keep getting out to check.

I don't think there is a camera solution that will allow you to move the caravan using the car without external assistance. With such a tight tolerance you would need someone monitoring the gaps either side.