44teddiesandcounting

bailey unicorn S4 / dometic RM8551 rubbish cooling

Sounds like it needs an internal circulation fan, such as my upright fridge freezer has at home? 

It seems to me that the "tests" carried out above are somewhat flawed.

The  chest fridge (Waeco) has only approximately one third of the capacity of caravan fridge freezer (Dometic) with which it is being compared. It does not have a freezer section.

A chest fridge, by its design and laws of physics, does not allow cold air to escape whenever the lid is it is opened to either remove chilled food or to take the internal temperature.

Every time a fridge/freezer door is opened, cold air "falls" out and is replaced by air at the ambient temperture.

The Dometic instruction manual, amongst other suggestions, specifically recommends that the empty appliance is run for a minimum of eight hours without opening the door to allow it to cool properly.

Although no dimensions seem to be available for the Waeco larder it seems that if the Dometic was insulated to the Waeco standard it probably would occupy about one third more space and would be unacceptably big to fit in a caravan.

3 hours ago, DeeTee said:

It seems to me that the "tests" carried out above are somewhat flawed.

<SNIP>

I think I agree with pretty well everything you said.

Where I criticise Dometic is with the recommendation to cool for 8 hours without opening the door before use. I'm sure this might be optimum for their fridge but let's remember it's a fridge designed to be fitted to a touring caravan/motorhome subject to frequent moves. A classic tourer might well move on every day or second day. What are they supposed to do with the fridge contents while waiting several hours for it to cool down again.

And as a number including me have said, van is in storage and fridge cannot be left running there, so how do I/they satisfy the 8 hours pre-cool recommendation before initial use? Keeping a van in storage is hardly a new phenomenon so I would expect a purpose designed fridge to cope.

I know many people including you seem to manage but it is clearly an issue for some. Certainly not an awful product but a case of fit for purpose comes to mind.

some may be interested in update.

my van went to a dometic service agent for a week in november for them to check that the fridge wasn't faulty and didn't need replacing. which it wasn't and didn't. we kind of knew that and it was a box to be ticked. ...

I was then fully expecting to have to involve all and sundry to get the dealer / bailey to do something about it, but all credit to them the dealer had various conversations behind the scenes with dometic and bailey and came back to me with an offer to fix it FOC and a reference to a "fixing kit" from dometic and/or bailey  that they were going to use - implying this not the only time this issue has been addressed.

he dealer has now just had the van in for a week, with the fridge removed they've fitted a plywood panel into the airspace between the back of the fridge and the caravan wall, this now reduces the size of the air gap  considerably (by eye, its within the dometic 20mm spec now) and should force all airflow through the fins. They've also fitted the dometic fridge venting fan kit, again FOC. I can't really expect them to do anything more.

I'll probably build myself a larger fan array from PC fans (as a belt and braces approach) for travel into france in august, but I'm hoping that what they've done will make it much better behaved in "normal" hot temps.

I've also had fitted a sterling wildside unit to improve power delivery to the fridge when towing. already seen it in play - monitoring its status  with the car hooked up after an hours drive,  the input voltage from the car is fluctuating all through the range that the wildside is able to condition. car being an euro6 diesel with regen.

• Thanks 1

Any chance you could find out details of this magic “kit”??

In the past I have fitted fans to top vent to improve the airflow, that certainly seemed to make a difference on my Olympus BUT as I pick up a new Phoenix in 10 days I am beginning to wonder if I too will need this “kit” 

Cleary SOMEONE has realised there is “an issue” we just need to know whether it’s Dometic OR Bailey so we know who to approach to get things fixed under warranty.

Andy

Our fridge worked fine in France last year despite high temperatures. We have a Cadiz 4.