Sign in to follow this  
Borussia 1900

First time for everything (Tyre blowout)

Got my first tyre blowout in 30 years of driving  today, I was doing about 90 Km/h on the motorway in Holland. I didn’t feel anything, I just saw loads of blue smoke coming from the caravan wheel arch so I pulled over, luckily it happened at the entrance to a Lay-by so that’s was a stroke of luck I suppose.  

I ALWAYS take a torque wrench and tools with me and I’ve never needed them, first time I forgot to pack them,typical!!

I’m in ADAC so I phoned them and 30 mins later a Dutch ANWB guy turned up, luckily I had a spare wheel.

Tyres are only 2 year old Hancooks and there’s no sign of cracking or damage on the other side and I can’t see any nails or suchlike in the u/s tyre so im not sure what caused that.

Edited by Borussia 1900
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Got my first tyre blowout in 30 years of driving  today, I was doing about 90 Km/h on the motorway in Holland. I didn’t feel anything, I just saw loads of blue smoke coming from the caravan wheel arch so I pulled over, luckily it happened at the entrance to a Lay-by so that’s was a stroke of luck I suppose.  

I ALWAYS take a torque wrench and tools with me and I’ve never needed them, first time I forgot to pack them,typical!!

I’m in ADAC so I phoned them and 30 mins later a Dutch ANWB guy turned up, luckily I had a spare wheel.

Tyres are only 2 year old Hancooks and there’s no sign of cracking or damage on the other side and I can’t see any nails or suchlike in the u/s tyre so im not sure what caused that.

Glad it wasn't too traumatic. We've not had one on the van yet. Did it damage your side trim or wheel arch liner? Guessing you don't have tyrons as I don't think they are popular on the continent. Was there much left of the tyre?

Finally, hopefully you've had a beer to settle your nerves note you are home!

Sorry to hear that and glad you managed to stop safely.   Hope there was no damage.   Did you have a TPMS fitted?

Was it very hot ? , it’s been about 26c in sunny South York’s today & my HGV driving Dad always stressed about taking regular breaks when it was hot to give the tyres chance to cool . Just a thought .

2 minutes ago, stevew1 said:

Was it very hot ? , it’s been about 26c in sunny South York’s today & my HGV driving Dad always stressed about taking regular breaks when it was hot to give the tyres chance to cool . Just a thought .

Not really, 23 degrees.

5 minutes ago, Crannoghome said:

Sorry to hear that and glad you managed to stop safely.   Hope there was no damage.   Did you have a TPMS fitted?

No I don’t have any safety gadgets (maybe I should)

7 minutes ago, svimes said:

Glad it wasn't too traumatic. We've not had one on the van yet. Did it damage your side trim or wheel arch liner? Guessing you don't have tyrons as I don't think they are popular on the continent. Was there much left of the tyre?

Finally, hopefully you've had a beer to settle your nerves note you are home!

The tyre walls are ripped to shreads but it stayed in tact. Doesn’t appear to have damaged anything else, it’s booked in with the dealer tomorrow anyway for its first TüV inspection so I’ll get them to check it out

1 minute ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Not really, 23 degrees.

No I don’t have any safety gadgets (maybe I should)

The tyre walls are ripped to shreads but it stayed in tact. Doesn’t appear to have damaged anything else, it’s booked in with the dealer tomorrow anyway for its first TüV inspection so I’ll get them to check it out

That's a good outcome then (though not a nice experience, I'm sure).

We don't have tyrons either. Some swear by them but it sounds like your tyre / wheel combo did what they are designed to help with anyway.

Is your spare under the van?

8 minutes ago, svimes said:

That's a good outcome then (though not a nice experience, I'm sure).

We don't have tyrons either. Some swear by them but it sounds like your tyre / wheel combo did what they are designed to help with anyway.

Is your spare under the van?

It’s a full sized 15” Alloy in the front locker, I was impressed how stable the car remained

F2DB38FD-99C3-4E4B-8E93-79158815D78A.png

Edited by Borussia 1900
  • Like 1

Very good to hear the car remained stable.  Did the caravan swing much?

And, I also hope you enjoyed a beer to settle your nerves!

5 minutes ago, bubble2015 said:

Very good to hear the car remained stable.  Did the caravan swing much?

And, I also hope you enjoyed a beer to settle your nerves!

The whole outfit remained remarkably stable, I only realised when I saw the blue smoke in my mirror. Could’ve been a whole lot worse, still annoying though.

I always had tyrons with the old wheels, but I haven't bothered since caravans wheels came with bead seats.  I've had 2 punctures that ended up with destroyed tyres so always carry a spare.

Tpms will let you know what is going on behind . Usually the only indication is smoke and then it to late and need a new tyre when a monitor would show a puncture and alarm you to stop .

Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Got my first tyre blowout in 30 years of driving  today,

Been there - done that - so you have my sympathy.

Glad everything worked out for you, and most importantly - nobody was hurt.

Gordon.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Borussia 1900 said:

The whole outfit remained remarkably stable, I only realised when I saw the blue smoke in my mirror. Could’ve been a whole lot worse, still annoying though.

I'm not surprised that your particular oufit remained stable. Back in 1995, in the early days of my caravanning, I had a blowout on my caravan under less favourable conditions (the caravan that I had at the time undoubtedly had a lower polar moment of inertia than yours and I also had to negotiate a bend in the slip road before being able to come to a stop) and yet the outfit behaved impeccably. I wouldn't have known that I had a blowout had it not been for a big bang and seeing bits of rubber flying through the air in the rear view mirror, As i had to drive several hundred yards on the motorway before stopping, the immense amount of flexing of the tyre walls even almost caused the tyre to catch fire. The wheel tself was also shot but there was no damage to the bodywork.

The more modern suspension geometry of the Euro Delta axle on your caravan probably also contributed to providing some added protection compared with the state of the art chassis back in those days.

Edited by Lutz
  • Like 1

I said in my original Post that the tyre on the other side was fine and at first glance it appeared ok, however, it's not.

I have not used the caravan since but it has been to the dealer for a new spare tyre and whilst there it had it's compulsory TUV inspection (MOT) as it's 2 years old (it has travelled 3 Km since inspection). Neither the dealer nor the TUV examiner noticed that the tyre on the other side needs replacing too. It is a Hankook, now 3 years old, no more than about 10,000 miles, stored inside a dry heated building 80% of the year but it is cracking quite noticeably between the tread.

This tyre needs replacing and I have no confidence in the spare fitted to the other side as it is the same age/batch as the failed tyre (2016) and I don't fancy driving to Spain later this year with it.

I'll go and take a photo of the offending tyre......................................

Oh dear, that's not good.  Our cracking was to the tyre wall not the treads.

What pressure do you run yours at? Wonder if today's tyres aren't coping with the tyre pressures we demand as caravanners?

Is that the wear indicator? It almost looks like it has something embedded.

I believe (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm not) that if you have a puncture in France you have to change both tyres on the axle as the surviving one will have experienced much higher forces than it was designed for.

Just ordered 2 of these, €100 each. My mate owns a garage so I’ll fit and balance them myself.

9CEFDB3F-9A28-4DF5-A0F4-BFF660B27F00.png

1 hour ago, svimes said:

Oh dear, that's not good.  Our cracking was to the tyre wall not the treads.

What pressure do you run yours at? Wonder if today's tyres aren't coping with the tyre pressures we demand as caravanners?

Is that the wear indicator? It almost looks like it has something embedded.

They run at 4.5 bar. I’ll have a better look at the tyre once I’ve got it off.

I won’t be buying Hankooks again. (These we’re on it from new, so I didn’t have much choice last time).

Sidewalls look like new

F0BA74DE-770C-4808-88F8-1F5A624B1431.png

Same pressure as ours.

Hope you have better luck with the new ones.

• Thanks 1

Just collected my caravan from storage (we're going on our first weekend away this year on Friday), new Goodyears fitted and I've installed the Tyre Pal sensors, pretty straight forward and all seems to be working fine, I didn't need to use the signal booster.

Posted (edited)

The telling part of the original post is “blue smoke” 

That indicates that there was a very considerable amount of heat present and that amount of heat takes a considerable amount of time to build up. So what is clear is that for some reason the tyre had lost most of its air pressure (which was clearly unknown to the driver) and, by it continuing  to be used, that heat level increased until the tyre carcase suffered a catastrophic failure (often referred to incorrectly as a “blow out”)

The fitting of a Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (such as Tyrepal) which the OP has now fitted, will alert the driver to the loss of pressure LONG before it gets to the point of causing problems, and long before the benefit of any Tyreon band would be needed.

So I make a plea to everyone who reads this and tows a caravan. Please get yourself a TPMS of some description for your caravan (even if not your car) it COULD save you a lot of grief and expense.

Many caravan falling over incidents that I attended over the years were down to tyre failures, most of those failed tyres showed clear signs of catastrophic overheating which was almost certainly caused by......

Please see above!

Of course not every tyre failure results in a crash, but I would rather be alerted to a pressure loss and then be able to change the wheel and just have to pay for a puncture repair rather than having to pay for a new caravan tyre (not the easiest things to find in the middle of rural France!) 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

19 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

So I make a plea to everyone who reads this and tows a caravan. Please get yourself a TPMS of some description for your caravan (even if not your car) it COULD save you a lot of grief and expense.

Sound advice Plodd :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

The telling part of the original post is “blue smoke” 

That indicates that there was a very considerable amount of heat present and that amount of heat takes a considerable amount of time to build up. So what is clear is that for some reason the tyre had lost most of its air pressure (which was clearly unknown to the driver) and, by it continuing  to be used, that heat level increased until the tyre carcase suffered a catastrophic failure (often referred to incorrectly as a “blow out”)

The fitting of a Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (such as Tyrepal) which the OP has now fitted, will alert the driver to the loss of pressure LONG before it gets to the point of causing problems, and long before the benefit of any Tyreon band would be needed.

Many caravan falling over incidents that I attended over the years were down to tyre failures, most of those failed tyres showed clear signs of catastrophic overheating which was almost certainly caused by......

Please see above!

Of course not every tyre failure results in a crash, but I would rather be alerted to a pressure loss and then be able to change the wheel and just have to pay for a puncture repair rather than having to pay for a new caravan tyre (not the easiest things to find in the middle of rural France!) 

Andy

Plus one for the TPMS on the van.  Similarly on most occasions it was obvious on car or van that the tyre had been running with low pressure and thus overheated when I attended accidents caused by tyre blow out.  

Those small patches of rubber in contact with the tarmac are the only things between you and death.  You can have the finest tow car with the most sophisticated breaking and handling etc but it all depends on those bits of rubber.  

• Thanks 1

Anyone tried one of these?

Only 4 sensors so could do rear wheels of car and single axle caravan or just twin axle van.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monitoring-Universal-Waterproof-Real-time-Temperature/dp/B07BBP2TGH/ref=sr_1_13_sspa?keywords=tpms+for+caravan&qid=1553149180&replacementKeywords=tpms+for&s=automotive&sr=1-13-spons&vehicle=29-403&psc=1

I like the idea of solar power.

Not arguing against TPMS but wouldn't there be blue smoke as a tyre shredded if it hit a sharp object and had a very sudden deflation?