Homebase

The writing's been on the wall for a while but if you need anything from Homebase, I suggest today would be a good time to visit as their future look decidedly iffy according to the BBC this morning. 

Link

Nothing is certain so read the whole story and mike up your own mind.

Well it appears they live to fight another day, some of the landlords are unhappy they feel they've be unfairly treated but for now Homebase carries on.  

The owners are saying that they've got £25m earmarked "to invest and revive the business",  given that they have more than 200 stores that doesn't sound much to me.  

It's only putting off the inevitable - Homebase was trying to cover too wide a base of customers and with B&Q, Wickes, Screwfix and Toolstation  well established is on a hiding to nothing.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Got rid of one of my three BP GasLight cylinders when present one empty that going back.

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

2 hours ago, David Park said:

Got rid of one of my three BP GasLight cylinders when present one empty that going back.

Why not exchange them at a flogas outlet :blink:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

A friend of mine is a hot-shot logistics bod and spent a number of years working at HRG, then owners of Homebase - he moved on about 3 years ago because he could see the business had no future - too diverse, confusing marketing and poor customer service; he reckoned about 5-6 years ago the writing was clearly on the wall

18 minutes ago, Paul_B said:

Why not exchange them at a flogas outlet :blink:

They can't supply, not even my main Flogas direct they not allowed to.

9 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

A friend of mine is a hot-shot logistics bod and spent a number of years working at HRG, then owners of Homebase - he moved on about 3 years ago because he could see the business had no future - too diverse, confusing marketing and poor customer service; he reckoned about 5-6 years ago the writing was clearly on the wall

BBC said problem was the Australians sacked all experience managers.

Regards, David

14 minutes ago, David Park said:

Ask again, my flogas stockist got them last week ;)

Paul B

23 minutes ago, David Park said:

BBC said problem was the Australians sacked all experience managers.

Not sure they were all sacked, those that weren’t were made unwelcome was my understanding!

Apparently the contract to supple only Homebase with gaslight was with the original owners, not the Homebase brand.  Flogas themselves can now sell it

Paul B

Just spoken to Flogas and they are phasing the BP Gaslight cylinders out.

Regards, David

12 minutes ago, David Park said:

Just spoken to Flogas and they are phasing the BP Gaslight cylinders out.

I for one will be exceeding disappointed if that is indeed the case, the "better" product technically there has yet been in the UK for gas exchange bottles.

None too pleased if forced to Calor's new offering as not least I expect that will be a  small diameter 6 kg bottle not the continental size, to suit the UK's many little gas lockers.

And a refillable is only any use to those with viable access to be able to recharge it, so here that is not an option.

Spoilt my day!

Edited by JTQ

If Homebase are to survive they will have to get rid of those staff with "Attitude". They shall also have to stock products people want to buy, especially DIY.

We wanted a kitchen sink and the kitchen expert told us that it would take a few days for delivery. When we went to pay it the girl said 3 Weeks delivery as it had to come from Italy.

I wanted an item and checked on their web site to ensure they sold them and that it was in stock in my nearest store before going. I was pushed for time and it was important. When I went to the store I was told they had none in stock and never had. Next visit I got my car damaged while I was in the store - not the stores fault of coarse but. ....Next visit I bought some adhesive and when I got home and cut the nozzle I found it was solid as a rock. Took it back and got a refund but oh what a waste of time. That visit was the last straw for me. We only go there now to collect from the Argos desk. It used to be a pretty good store.

Ern

Exactly Ern, at one time you couldn't beat them for paint, wallpaper & tiles. To mention but a few products.

Edited by blondchaser

5 hours ago, blondchaser said:

We wanted a kitchen sink and the kitchen expert told us that it would take a few days for delivery. When we went to pay it the girl said 3 Weeks delivery as it had to come from Italy.

I purchased a bathroom hand basin and cabinet last week from Homebase. Not only did they have the exact size needed but also had everything in stock to fit it - happy customer!

I was also given a 10% discount voucher against my next purchase - a nice gesture - assuming the shop will still be there when I next visit.

Gordon

In my local town one homebase store, one B&Q within one mile of each other. B&Q always busy,Home base usually only one till open, no que says a lot. My perception of Homebase wether right or wrong is that Home base are always just that little bit more expensive than B&Q hence I always go to B&Q first.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Malc Edge said:

In my local town one homebase store, one B&Q within one mile of each other.

I'm not advocating one over the other but Homebase and B&Q are virtually opposite each other where I live with only a few hundred yards between them but it is notable that often there is only one checkout available at either. The number of people in each I would say generally is slightly higher at Homebase because they do have a better garden centre area and an upstairs with household goods, whereas B&Q's garden centre section is dismal and the household goods are in with everything else all on one floor. Both shops are convenient to visit and I do use them, but both have larger outlets about 12 miles away, that while they may stock what I want, I'm not as inclined to just pop in for the odd bag of washers etc., when there are nearer independent builders merchants. 

Gordon

4 hours ago, Malc Edge said:

In my local town one homebase store, one B&Q within one mile of each other. B&Q always busy,Home base usually only one till open, no que says a lot. My perception of Homebase wether right or wrong is that Home base are always just that little bit more expensive than B&Q hence I always go to B&Q first.

Same for us. Both stores are same distance, but we always go to bee & cubes first or screwfix. Last resort we try homebase but if the others don't have what we want then its likely homebase won't either.  

• Like 2

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

On 31/08/2018 at 15:38, Black Grouse said:

It's only putting off the inevitable - Homebase was trying to cover too wide a base of customers and with B&Q, Wickes, Screwfix and Toolstation  well established is on a hiding to nothing.

B&Q & Screwfix both owned by Kingfisher Plc.  Wickes & ToolStation both owned by Travis Perkins Plc.

Homebase (admittedly the weaker of the three main DIY Sheds) was virtually destroyed by Wesfarmers/Bunnings who completely misunderstood the UK DIY market, paid over the odds for Homebase and then abandoned the sinking ship by flogging lock, stock and barrel it for just £1 to a venture capital company.

Its a shame really. ..  I don't suppose Argos and Homebase were ever a good commercial match in the same way that B&Q/Screwfix or TP/Wickes/ToolStation are. .. certainly not in cross brand synergies and buying power but if it disappears completely then competition is reduced significantly - not a good thing generally for the consumer.

Edited by happynomad

This post is not intended to suggest you are pedantic or that you shouldn't ever post again.  It is not retaliatory in its intent and I apologise for any offence it may give rise to.

When Homebase opened a store in our town I thought do we really need two big DIY outlets ? I thought no we do not. So when Home base opened amid a fanfare and nice green painted signs and their slightly upward prices perhaps they thought people could not wait to shop there,well they were wrong. Why can it be that I saw this so clearly and I was proved right. Do the management  of these large stores really have any sense ? I could have told them it won't work and I was right. I worked for a company where the management kept making stupid decisions and I became redundant because of their arrogance and the company went to the wall. The world sometimes seems to full of the wrong people in management who make such decisions. I am sure you can think of some people who should never be in management the thing is just how did they get the job in the first place. .....yes they could no doubt talk the talk. :blink:

• Thanks 1

A strange viewpoint indeed. ..  I welcome as much competion as possible and indeed, Harlow in Essex, where I lately lived, had a Homebase, a Wickes and a B&Q, ToolStation and Screwfix all within 500-600 metres of each other.  It made 'shopping around' for and getting the best prices on any given item very easy.

The other scenario is no competition. ..  bad for everyone.   I certainly wouldn't like to only have one DIY store, one supermarket, one shoe shop, one petrol station etc to choose from.

• Like 1

This post is not intended to suggest you are pedantic or that you shouldn't ever post again.  It is not retaliatory in its intent and I apologise for any offence it may give rise to.

Malc Edge, I think you should read the mail that preceded yours as it explains it well. It was not Homebase management that were at fault, it was their new Auzzie owners Wesfarmers who applied Aus marketing strategies to the UK market and it didn't work. They sacked a lot of the UK management structure, dropped Habitat and and the very good Homebase kitchens (made in Germany by Nobilia) amongst other things, and filled the store with outdoor items like BBQs. They also sold battery-powered tools without batteries or charger which is not the UK practice whether the product is of UK,  German, or Far Eastern origin.

Sadly I hear that Hilco who now own Homebase have categorised all stores at red, yellow, and green. The (42) red stores have already closed. If business does not pick up substantially over an unspecified period then they will review and close some or all of the yellow stores, etc. IMO if they want to get more business they need to get rid of the awful (battery-less) 'Ozio'(?) brand power tools, keep Ryodi and maybe get Bosch and/or Worx back in PDQ.

Edited by Woodentop

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Oh dear, it appears the Debenhams are now heading the same way. They were already in the middle of a 'turnaround plan' but have now called in KPMG to help develop options. Talking about downsizing, CVA and rent reductions for stores that remain open. A continuing sorry tale for what we once called the British high street.  

We gave up on buying Homebase products due to them being overpriced and poor quality.   We have only shopped at Debenhams once and again over priced as you car get the same goods from other shops at a lower price.