Sign in to follow this  
Jamesek

Travelling Liverpool to Whitby

Hello,

I have heared there one or two steep hills that should be avoided as approaching Whitby.  Can anyone advise where this is, and if I can somehow direct my satnav to avoid these hills.

Thanks in advance 👍

Edited by Jamesek
Grammer

5 minutes ago, Jamesek said:

Hello,

I have heared there one or two steep hills that should be avoided as approaching Whitby.  Can anyone advise where this is, and if I can somehow direct my satnav to avoid these hills.

Thanks in advance 👍

If you go via Scarborough on the A64 it’s fine,  if you cut across the North Yorkshire Moors on the A169 it’s a bit steep in places. Not too bad though.

You have heard of Blue Bank on the south side of Sleights? My van has good brakes as does my Passat Estate but I wouldn't go down it - up yes but down no. You cannot avoid the hills as there is only three (four) routes to Whitby:-

A64 to Scarborough then A171 to Whitby;

A169 from A64 at Malton to Pickering* and then over Fylingdales Moor to Whitby - Blue Bank see below;

A171 from Guisborough which has one double bend on a hill but not a problem.

A174 from Teesside but that includes Lythe Bank entering Sandsend with its double bend. ...

*DO NOT look at you map and consider going A170 from Thirsk to Pickering as that road includes Sutton Bank which is banned to caravans. The detour through some beautiful N Yorks countryside through Coxwold and passing Ampleforth Abbey (school) is tedious, narrow in places, and tends to be busy. Sutton Bank is closed to all traffic w/c 10th September for a week for annual rockface checks and maintenance.

Either go A1/A168/A19/A172 to Stokesley, then A171 to Guisborough and eventually to Whitby, or as suggested above go via Scaborough. If you choose the latter, when you hit the T-junc traffic lights in Falsgrave (town turn right) you should turn left and then at next island turn right to Scalby - this way avoids the town centre which can be a nightmare.

Edited by Woodentop
  • Like 1

I  travel these routes fairly often and agree that the Birk Brow route from Guisborough across the moor is the best option. .....alternative is the ever busy A64 around York to Scarborough and then on to Whitby. ...can be a nightmare weekends,doddle during week.

geoff

Recently back from Whitby.  Blue Bank on the A169 is probably the the most notable hill - down into Whitby and up on the way home.  

There is one out on the moors where in either direction it is downhill into a fairly tight 'hairpin' and then immediately uphill.  You can see the 'hairpin and the oncoming traffic from a way off so the trick is to simply manage your speed such that you arrive at it with no oncoming traffic in the way and thus allowing you to have the whole width of the road to yourself on the bend.

All in all though, the drive into Whitby on the A169 is nothing to get worried about.  The drive over the moors on a nice day is lovely and there is a visitor car park plenty big enough to take a caravan into for a pause to enjoy the view.   

14 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

You have heard of Blue Bank on the south side of Sleights? My van has good brakes as does my Passat Estate but I wouldn't go down it - up yes but down no.  

I have taken my van up and down Blue Bank quite a number of times. ..  no worry at all but a sensible driving style going down is a must of course.

They are going to demolish the Saltersgate Inn after all these years. ..the bendy bit is known as The Devils Horseshoe. ....agree you can judge this bend easily as visibility is decent. .so the A169 isn't that bad,the locals use it.

geoff

I think the bend with a good view is the one over the brook not far from Fylingdales EW station. Solo, if there is no traffic you can take it at quite a pace but with a caravan it needs some judicious  style!

41 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

I think the bend with a good view is the one over the brook not far from Fylingdales EW station. Solo, if there is no traffic you can take it at quite a pace but with a caravan it needs some judicious  style!

Correct.

geoff

Blue Bank on the Pickering Whitby Road is fine both ways.   Just get in a low gear on the way down.   I was walking in Sleights Bank Holiday Friday and it was a constant stream of vans coming down.  

A64 route then A169 is probably the best route for you from Liverpool unless it’s a bank holiday or York races are on.  If that’s the case keep going up the A1 and Take the A19 to Middlesborough and then work your way round to the A171. Adds about 20 miles but saves hours

I came back this way Bank Holiday Tuesday due to delays on the A64

1 hour ago, shipbroker said:

They are going to demolish the Saltersgate Inn after all these years. ..the bendy bit is known as The Devils Horseshoe. ....agree you can judge this bend easily as visibility is decent. .so the A169 isn't that bad,the locals use it.

geoff

It is in a bit of a state now but oddly, on the opposite side of the road the old sign still exhorts passers by to visit  :D

Blue Bank should be no problem if you use a lower gear for going downhill to get engine breaking in addition to your foot brakes where necessary.  

John.