kbEDI

AVONDALE ARGENTE 480-2 not running off of 12V battery

Hi there,

Can anyone help?

We have recently bought an AVONDALE ARGENTE 480-2 2009 caravan.

Th electrics work fine  when we hook it up to sites power source.

Recently we were away and wanted to try running a few things just off the leisure battery.

However, no power seems to go to any of the lights or plugs 

The volt meter inside the van doesnt show any power to it and we tried the switch beside it in a few positions.

Is there another switch that we haven't found yet!!??

The instruction manual we have is quite vague on the whole subject

It has a mover which works fine of the battery, so we don't think the battery is the issue.

Is there a fuse from the battery that maybe has blown (though they do all look fine)

Any advice would be appreciated

Not sure the 240v sockets will work off the battery alone.  Maybe wrong but certainly haven't on our vans.

30 minutes ago, nilrem77 said:

Not sure the 240v sockets will work off the battery alone.   .

240 volt sockets are mains voltage so they don't require a battery to work.    The battery only supplies outlets which work off 12volts.

35 minutes ago, kbEDI said:

The electrics work fine  when we hook it up to sites power source.

Recently we were away and wanted to try running a few things just off the leisure battery.

Did you use the water in the taps?   Did you use the overhead lighting in the caravan?   If so, you are using power from the battery however, the voltmeter on the panel should be showing around 13 volts.

Hi there,

The pump didn't work for the water. I wasn't really expecting the water heater to work anyway, but thought it would at least pump cold water to the sink.  

I couldn't even get  a spark for the cooker to work, but could use a lighter to use it as the gas worked fine without being connected to the mains.  

As far as I can tell, the fridge can work just off the gas cylinder, but again needs power for a spark to light it.

The instruction manual just says turn the control knob to gas and I should her a spark as it lights (it didn't)

I tried all the overhead lighting and none of them worked either.  The voltmeter only shows 13 volts when connected to the site.

I suspect the issue is between the leisure battery and the fuse box, but not sure what it could be.

There should be a master fuse in the wiring from the battery to the distribution unit. Normally this fuse is hard to locate.  

Also there maybe a master switch for 12v system on the distribution unit

25 minutes ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

There should be a master fuse in the wiring from the battery to the distribution unit. Normally this fuse is hard to locate.  

Also there maybe a master switch for 12v system on the distribution unit

As said, this battery fuse is separate from the other fuses and I think is in-line and near the battery. The power to the mover is a separate wire which is why the mover works, but the caravan 12v electrics don't. It's fairly common for that fuse to be accidentally disturbed as it's unprotected lying on the floor somewhere.

1 hour ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

There should be a master fuse in the wiring from the battery to the distribution unit.

On my 2001 Avondale it's attached to the back of the battery box.    Access it under the seat.

A few of things to check.

1. Is the battery charged? Use a voltmeter directly on the battery terminals.

2. Is the line fuse intact? A single cartridge line fuse (20Amp) will be close to the battery.

3. Is a towcar connected? A habitation relay operates (with ignition on) to isolate the caravan battery while being towed.

4. Check that the caravan battery is correctly selected on the switch panel as caravans can also be run from a towcar battery if connected.

If you don't already have a handbook then a 2008 copy (same as your 2009 Model) is available here.

Avondale 2009 Wiring Diagram.jpg

It is easy to see if the in-line fuse is blown, as it is a flat slither of metal.

On a separate point,does anyone have an issue,where ,even if the batter is fully charged and the mains cable attached ,the meter in the caravan never reaches the top of the green scale?

27 minutes ago, Greg Hart said:

It is easy to see if the in-line fuse is blown, as it is a flat slither of metal.

On a separate point,does anyone have an issue,where ,even if the batter is fully charged and the mains cable attached ,the meter in the caravan never reaches the top of the green scale?

You are replying to a thread which is two years old and also the guy who posted, hasn't been back since.   But regarding your problem - are you sure the meter is reading correctly.   Best way is to put a volt meter across the battery terminals to check the output.

• I agree completely 1

As Jaydug says, best to use a multimeter to get an accurate reading when testing, van meters are cheap and cheerful and notorious for not being accurate,  though some are, which  they don't have to be, all they need to tell the owner is that when off charge and anything 12 v is switched on it will drop,  when on charge it will raise, when charged it will be somewhere in the green and when flat it will be in the red, at a guess most van owners, including me just occasionally give it a cursory glance, only taking notice if something 12v is amiss to decide on if the multimeter need to see daylight.

We had an Argente-never thought the meter was very accurate-multimeter is best.

• I agree completely 1

Here's a rough guide . . .

Battery Charge Voltages.jpg

Author: Simon P Barlow © 2011 - Caravan Chronicles

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I've doing a little experiment the past couple of weeks with two batteries, one a leisure battery I use on my Hobby but bring home for winter, it's around 7 years old, the second is a battery my son donated which he replaced for a customer  which was around 9 months old and was an expensive  Bosh AGM stop start type, interestingly on this one there is a little logo amongst all the others which suggests 12.4v  is the lowest it should be allowed to reach, I'll look into it when I get chance.

The van battery is always on charge when in the van, when I brought it home it was  around 12.3v, at home it is connected to the CTEK unless I'm using it for something else.

The car with the Bosh battery had been parked up and not even started since early covid, so around 4+ months, when son arrived it was down to 0v,  he temp. loaned his customer a battery and took the Bosh back to his garage to attempt a charge, it would charge but not to full capacity, he informed his customer and suggested the customer use the loan battery whilst pursuing a warranty claim, customer asked son to source a new battery, he couldn't be bothered with a claim, which could fail, saying he'll just charge it to his company expenses, he wanted certainty and no messing about.

Son duly sourced and replaced the rather expensive battery, reminding the customer of what happens with many newer vehicles when not used for a couple of months or more.

I'll do a bit of a write up when I can on the experiment, when I end it,

• Thanks 1

I am systematically charging our cars and motorbikes weekly rather than leave them on permanently-it's a smart charger but happy to do this myself. just not worth letting expensive car batteries esp with autostop start, go to ruin.