Sign in to follow this  
hawkaye

12v hair straighteners and hair dryer; any recommendations?

Well, the last couple of weeks on solar power alone went well but Mrs H has an aversion to her wavy hair. If I'm to make a success of this off-grid lark, I need to be able to get hair straighteners and a hair dryer that work on 12v. Yes, I can get 12v hair products off Ebay but a recommendation would be invaluable. Yes I can use an inverter but I wondered if any of you good folk had found any 12v equipment that works acceptably without incurring the energy losses associated with an inverter?

Thank you in advance.

Edited for missing word.

Edited by hawkaye

Fit an inverter and use mains powered, the 12v one are rubbish, if they needed to perform like mains powered ones the leads would be like battery jump leads.

SWMBO has tried a few of these 12v hair dryers over the years (going back to our camping days) and they just don’t hack it! It’s one of the main reasons we nearly always go on EHU nowadays 😀.

John

PS with hair as straight as hers is she doesn’t qualify to comment on straighteners!  But I think one of my daughters has some gas-powered ones.

Edited by Johnaldo

This'll sort out the wrinkly hair - https://www. amazon. co. uk/BaByliss-2581BU-Cordless-Straightener-Black/dp/B001GJVI0K

However I'd agree with AJG that you'd  be better off with an inverter.

Even a pathetic 500w hairdryer will try and drag around 45amps from your battery via an inverter so would need at least 10mm2 cable between it and the battery if the cables were very short.

Edited by matelodave

Surely it's not feasible to run hair dryers through an inverter from a 12V supply. I am pretty sure you would drain a leisure battery very quickly.

Any kind of heat producing appliance running off 12v either with or without an inverter will absolutely eat leisure batteries.

It can be done but needs one or more heavy duty batteries and a sizeable array of solar panels.

I believe that cordless gas powered straighteners are available.

Hair dryer equals EHU or beefy generator, there's no (practical) way about it.

Hair straighteners are another thing though. I think my wife has some that are only about 100w, they probably have a pretty high start up load, that is if a product says it draws 100w, it probably does in normal use, but it'll probably be 200-300w to get started. She runs it off my 750w inverter just fine.   She's not flattened the battery from it, but she isn't using them to dry her hair just tame it.

5 hours ago, Stevan said:

Any kind of heat producing appliance running off 12v either with or without an inverter will absolutely eat leisure batteries.

It can be done but needs one or more heavy duty batteries and a sizeable array of solar panels.

I believe that cordless gas powered straighteners are available.

It does take quite a load, my wifes 2kw hair dryer works fine, we have two leisure batteries and a good charging system from the car so I am charging at a healthy 15 amps. We find it works out fine for overnight stops en route and she only uses it for maybe 5 to 7 minutes of actual run time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

It does take quite a load, my wifes 2kw hair dryer works fine, we have two leisure batteries and a good charging system from the car so I am charging at a healthy 15 amps. We find it works out fine for overnight stops en route and she only uses it for maybe 5 to 7 minutes of actual run time.

My wife's hair takes about 25 minutes to dry with our 1Kw dryer and its more than our single battery can cope with.

I'd be happy to fit a 2nd battery but weight (20kg) is an issue - so it seems my wife has a choice, either lose 20kg of stuff (clothes??) in the caravan or get a haircut.

I suspect we will keep using EHU the majority of the time.

Seriously, I like the idea of running the car engine while the hairdryer is in use.

10 hours ago, bubble2015 said:

My wife's hair takes about 25 minutes to dry with our 1Kw dryer and its more than our single battery can cope with.

I'd be happy to fit a 2nd battery but weight (20kg) is an issue - so it seems my wife has a choice, either lose 20kg of stuff (clothes??) in the caravan or get a haircut.

I suspect we will keep using EHU the majority of the time.

Seriously, I like the idea of running the car engine while the hairdryer is in use.

You'd be somewhere near right with a 110 a/h battery, depends on what charging system you have.

• Like 1

On 29/08/2018 at 11:15, matelodave said:

Even a pathetic 500w hairdryer will try and drag around 45amps from your battery via an inverter so would need at least 10mm2 cable between it and the battery if the cables were very short.

Agree with @matelodave, and where would you plug it in? You wouldn't be able to use existing accessory sockets because these would only be rated for maybe 6 or 8A. You'd have to install a dedicated and fused socket, or connect directly to the battery.

Inverters are pretty efficient these days, you can expect around 96% from a good sine wave inverter.

In terms of energy use, a 1kW hair dryer  running for 15 minutes would draw around 20AH from a battery (1kW / 12V = 83A x 15/60 = 20AH), which could easily be replenished from a solar panel.

I would agree inverters have improved and for heating does not need to be true sine wave, however it needs to be a large inverter which in turn means large cables feeding it and be where it can cool, quick look and gas hair straighteners cost around £20 so I would say worth trying them first, I know my wife gets into the car and turns the heating to max to dry her hair, wonder if you can still get the hoods?  Would one of these fit into the vans central heating outlet? 

You do need to take Peurkert's law into consideration where pulling high currents out of the battery can seriously reduce it's available capacity. See here - http://www. csgnetwork. com/batterylifecalc. html

Short term it's OK, say 5-10 minutes but dragging 80+amps out of a 110a/h for 20-30 mins could virtually halve it's available capacity and possibly damage it unless it's something like a traction battery which is designed for the job.

An 110a/h battery's capacity is based on a discharge rate of c/20 (110/20) = 5. 5amps, however if you discharge it at say c/5 (110/5) = 22amps then it's capacity reduces to about 80% = 88a/h.  

Dragging  85amps out will reduce it to around 50-60a/h and that assumes a decent battery in good condition and fully charged.

Edited by matelodave
  • Like 1

As far as hair straighteners are concerned why not use one of the gas ones. My wife used to use them.  

Using power from leisure battery needs replacing and will depend on size of solar panel and amount of sun light hours . If your going to drag a kw with a pure wave inverter  every day for ten minute to dry her hair you could be sitting in the dark after a couple of days .

I use inverters and 160w solar panel and you have to know how much you can use .

As said gas straighteners might be one option .

Dave

4 hours ago, matelodave said:

Dragging  85amps out will reduce it to around 50-60a/h and that assumes a decent battery in good condition and fully charged.

Totally agree re peukert's law but the comment quoted assumes a constant drain at that current. For 10-15 minutes a day I wouldn't expect much in the way of capacity reduction.

Another alternative is:

269AB479-BB9E-45D7-9C37-8B77DC7B136C.thumb.jpeg.28538cbaef2b71d21733db3d6d32596f.jpeg

Lots of other saving too.

John

Thanks for all the input; it makes interesting reading. Gas straighteners on order as soon as we come back from France. Absolutely love the idea of making her wear a hood connected to the caravan blown air system but that's just because I'm mean. For the short term I'll just be asking Mrs H to cycle round the site at speed and let the wind dry her hair. I suspect that If I use a second 12v battery with a 500w mains hair dryer it will just raise more issues than it will solve. I am rehearsing "Mr Peukert says it's not practical."

I guess there's a market opportunity to design and build a gas-heated (like the straighteners) hairdryer with a 12v fan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hawkaye said:

Thanks for all the input; it makes interesting reading. Gas straighteners on order as soon as we come back from France. Absolutely love the idea of making her wear a hood connected to the caravan blown air system but that's just because I'm mean. For the short term I'll just be asking Mrs H to cycle round the site at speed and let the wind dry her hair. I suspect that If I use a second 12v battery with a 500w mains hair dryer it will just raise more issues than it will solve. I am rehearsing "Mr Peukert says it's not practical."

I guess there's a market opportunity to design and build a gas-heated (like the straighteners) hairdryer with a 12v fan.

Here you go:-

https://www. indy100. com/article/man-tries-to-kill-spiders-using-a-blow-torch-burned-his-home-to-the-ground-8006456

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, hawkaye said:

I tried that one.   Mrs Ern was kneeling down with her head in the gas oven (naturally we had the caravan door open) when a passing neighbour happened to be having a sneaky nose as neighbours do. What happened next?

2 hours ago, Ern said:

I tried that one.   Mrs Ern was kneeling down with her head in the gas oven (naturally we had the caravan door open) when a passing neighbour happened to be having a sneaky nose as neighbours do. What happened next?

You say, "You can look all you like. I definitely hid the passports in the oven. I didn't know you were going to surprise me with a roast dinner when I came back from the pub!"