Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lutz

Spanish >12m Overall Length Warning Boards

Recommended Posts

I know a lot of people don't seem to bother with this Spanish requirement and seem to get by without one, but I've been able to get one of those reflective boards cheap so I thought I'd make use of it, thereby avoiding any risk. I don't want to keep the thing on the back of the caravan all the time (only so long as I am in Spain) so I was thinking of using double side adhesive tape that would allow separation later using a hair dryer or similar. Has anyone any experience with this method of attachment. The board (or plate actually) is 0. 8mm thick aluminium.

 

Edited by Lutz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Hi Lutz

On this topic previously this item was suggested for plate(s)  mounting :-

 

https://www. amazon. co. uk/gp/product/B000OF6X48/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

This is the item I have purchased for the task but not yet done the deed of mounting the plate. Available in larger sizes.

 

There was mention that the black self adhesive tape does sometimes leave a black stain - depends on panel material.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We used that tape and it is excellent.   We have not bothered with taking the boards off again and now just leave them on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lutz said:

I know a lot of people don't seem to bother with this Spanish requirement and seem to get by without one, but I've been able to get one of those reflective boards cheap so I thought I'd make use of it, thereby avoiding any risk. I don't want to keep the thing on the back of the caravan all the time (only so long as I am in Spain) so I was thinking of using double side adhesive tape that would allow separation later using a hair dryer or similar. Has anyone any experience with this method of attachment. The board (or plate actually) is 0. 8mm thick aluminium.

 

 

 

If your going to fit them might be worth check the regs as there is regulations on positioning in relation to  lights if I remember .

 

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Durbanite said:

We used that tape and it is excellent.   We have not bothered with taking the boards off again and now just leave them on.

Same here, double sided number plate tape. They have been on for two years and we leave them on ready for next year.

 

BH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CommanderDave said:

 

 

If your going to fit them might be worth check the regs as there is regulations on positioning in relation to  lights if I remember .

 

 

Dave

 

As the rear corners of the caravan are fitted with plastic trim mouldings I don't have much of a choice of flat surface where the board can go.

The only restriction that I can find is that the board must be between 50 and 150cm above the ground.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Lutz said:

 

As the rear corners of the caravan are fitted with plastic trim mouldings I don't have much of a choice of flat surface where the board can go.

The only restriction that I can find is that the board must be between 50 and 150cm above the ground.  

That is correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 We fitted a pair of the boards to the back of our last caravan and I used number plate tape, as in the auto trade. They were on 2 years when we sold the caravan and took the plates off. By the time I had removed them, the aluminium plates were buckled too badly for further use.

It depends on  what grade of tape you use but I would be concerned about the safety risk of them coming off in transit, if the tape wasn't of a decent grade.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ern said:

 We fitted a pair of the boards to the back of our last caravan and I used number plate tape, as in the auto trade. They were on 2 years when we sold the caravan and took the plates off. By the time I had removed them, the aluminium plates were buckled too badly for further use.

It depends on  what grade of tape you use but I would be concerned about the safety risk of them coming off in transit, if the tape wasn't of a decent grade.  

 

 

Exactly. To me it's a trade off between having the plate securely attached when on the move and being able to remove it afterwards. And I need to remove it after leaving Spain because the 100km/h sticker that I need for Germany will be under the Spanish plate and there's no other flat surface available where I could locate it. That's why I asked the question in the first place regarding people's experience with different types of tape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could a board be secured between and across the grab handles (with some padding of course) and then the long vehicle sign attached to that ?

Easy on, easy off and it would avoid any buckling to the aluminium plate either in use or storage until next time.

 

I will need some for this winters sojourn but like Durbanite expect to leave them on the Buccaneer for the long term.

 

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lutz said:

 

Exactly. To me it's a trade off between having the plate securely attached when on the move and being able to remove it afterwards. And I need to remove it after leaving Spain because the 100km/h sticker that I need for Germany will be under the Spanish plate and there's no other flat surface available where I could locate it. That's why I asked the question in the first place regarding people's experience with different types of tape.

Using the tape from Amazon makes it easy to remove the boards as they will peel off by lifting them at the bottom .   However try pulling them straight off is just about impossible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a solution to ensuring they remain at least safely retained by two parallel cords tensioned between the opposing awning rail grooves?

This would facilitate using double sided tape of modest "hold" [so could be removed] as the primary fixing, but with the safety related issue of one flying away being addressed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lutz caravan probably has an opening rear window. If so, two vertical strips of aluminium could be hooked over the rear panel with the window open and the window then closed. These two vertical strips could be attached to the single version of the boards/board which is optionally allowed within the standard.  

 

Edited by Ern

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your suggestions. I can't use parallel chords to serve as a retainer, though, because the only flat surface to which I can attach the plate is set back from the mouldings at the side and the rear bumper, so there would be quite a considerable gap between the plate and the chords. However, I think I've got enough to get going now regarding a workable solution. .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hook and loop tape (Velcro) with an adhesive backing on the plate  and caravan?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...