Sign in to follow this  
ArminLinder

Elddis Caravan from around 2005 - buy or avoid?

Posted (edited)

Hi community,

having an exceptionally good time with a rented Hobby 540 (built ~1998) over the last weeks my spouse and I decided to buy a (used) caravan of our own. Our price range is around €10. 000 for a used Caravan and tent, this should give us a unit built around 2005 in reasonable condition. Our kids are already grown, so the size of the 540 may seerm like overkill for 2 persons (and 2 mid sized dogs). but we really enjoyed having some extra room.

Units which caught my attention are - amongst others - a 2004 Elddis Odyssey 490/4 and a 2001 Elddis 470CT.   For our needs they seem to have the ideal layout, with full size beds in the front (we are both quite tall and have problems in the usual 2m x 1,4m "french" beds), and a separate shower "tube" unit which my wife insists on having, those caravans have nice bathrooms in the back. This layout seems ideal for us, and surprisingly it is hard to find continentally built caravans having it, probably because in the 2005 aera and in those size range the manufacturers over here had their focus on families with kids.

I assume that a caravan which is 15+ years old may turn out to yield a desastrous waste of money and endless series of repairs, on the other hand we met numerous people owning caravans from Hobby, Fendt, Dethleffs, TMC and other well known brands for 25+ years, who have no serious problems and state that if a caravan is carefully taken care of it can easily reach an age of 25 years or more. I am trying to find out whether one can trust Elddis long-time quality I got very startling reports from this site and all over the net.   Seems that Elddis products are mainly plagued by cracking panels and water inrush problems, there are endless threads with complaints from unhappy Elddis customers. On the other hand I know that the Internet is full of rants from people which happened to have problems with a specific product of a company, while thousands of satisfied customers are silently happy.

I would be happy to hear from customers owning Elddis caravans from around 2000-2008 like the ones mentioned above, about their experiences (good or bad), especially when it comes to watertightness and cracking problems in panels and windows.

Best regards from Bavaria, and many thanks for your input

Armin.

Edited by ArminLinder

For every good report I`m sure you will get a bad one.

We had a 2006 Elddis Avante which was pretty good. We did have one problem which was the furniture in the centre of the van coming away from the walls. This was fixed under warranty with no problems (It was a `524` layout, quite a few of this design had the problem and the manufacturer had a fix for it), and we kept the van for 10 years and the issue never arose again.

We had the van serviced every year, and sold it very quickly and for good money, as we had all the service sheets which showed no damp. We never had any cracking of panels, and nothing stopped working at any time (heating, water heating, cooking etc) during the 10 years we had it.

It is possible that we were `lucky`, but looking after our succession of cars and vans and ensuring they are meticulously maintained seems to have helped with our `luck`.

The age you are talking about they had a good reputation. ..

Geoff

As said the reports you will get on any forum will give a biased view that all is doom and gloom, there will be many,  many more people who are quite happy with their caravan and have never had a problem but they tend not to post on the forums.

What ever you do though check for a good service history and make sure you check the prospective purchase carefully for damp with a damp meter,  if you're not sure what to look for take someone with you who does, and every thing is working as it should.

Good luck and I hope you find a trouble-free van that suits you.  

With £10. 00 to spend I would expect a lot of change from a 2004 van. Off the cuff I would guess a price of maybe £5,000 to £5. 500 tops. I have not checked though.

1 hour ago, Easy T said:

With £10. 00 to spend I would expect a lot of change from a 2004 van. Off the cuff I would guess a price of maybe £5,000 to £5. 500 tops. I have not checked though.

think your saying £10k . not ten pounds ;)

and yes i would think the same. i would have thought for £10k you would be looking at aoround the 2008/9 or even 10. depending on the model and spec . maybe a lesser spec will give you a newer van for your money

Posted (edited)

Thanks all who contributed so far for your valuable input.

Regarding the price tag, please note that I am taking Euros, not Pounds, and €10. 000 is the upper limit, including accessories and tent, and for that price I'd expect a really prime condition deviced which hasn't seen much road in it's life. Finding a good unit for less is definitely welcome.

My price "baseline" is based on what the price niveau is in southern Germany, and spending €10. 000 for a used 2005 premium caravan like a Fendt or a Tabbert (just to mention two) isn't that much. OK, for that price you can expect new tyres, a tent and maybe a mover. I have noted that prices drop when I extend my search radius to northern Germany or maybe as far as the Netherlands. Up there prices are generally approx. around 10-15% lower.

You do, however, have to take into account that you cannot easily buy a used caravan when it is 1000km away from where you live.

Anyway, a low price tag is not my prime priority. It's more the fact that the layout/size combination we seek for seems to be extremely rare and hard to get on the continent, while it seems to be very common in GB.

Armin.

Edited by ArminLinder

I think Elddis (and others) lost the plot when they started to fit plastic (ABS) to the caravans rather than respected aluminium or GRP.  Plastic looks pretty and its cheaper (but less resilient) than aluminium or GPS. It was also around this time that cost cutting seemed to take a priority over quality.

I have an older Elddis and I'm very happy with it, my daughter is just as happy with hers, but nether of us would buy a new one, and we've looked at them.

Paul,

interesting what you are saying, and it makes sense. Do you remember when (approx . ..) Elddis changed the materials?

Best regards from Bavaria,

Armin.

I think it was around 2004, my daughters was the old shape at 2004 but a friend bought a 2004 that had the new style plastic back, he had a lot of problems with his and traded it in.  My daughters hasn't been much of a problem except for the door handle and a slow draining sink.

I have a 2006 series 5 Bailey Ranger 460/2 which seems to fit the OP's requirements. There still seem to be many about as I have seen at least one series 5 460/2 model in addition to mine on every site I have stayed on recent years.

My 2008 has had problems almost since new.   currently it is in the dealers again next week for a leak they can not find with horrendous damp readings, a two year saga.