advice for fridge on long ferry crossing to spain

Hello

We are going to Spain for the first time with our caravan. I'm not sure what to do about the fridge on the ferry as it takes more than 24 hours??

Any advice or tips would be much appreciated, what do other people with more experience do??

Many Thanks.

Two choices - either pack it with frozen bottles of water/milk/juice and frozen food.

-  or just shop when you arrive.

Edited by moorgate
  • Like 1

Pre cool your fridge at home then pack it with food you have already cooled in the fridge at home. If you are taking frozen food too, freeze it in the house freezer first. Once you've packed your caravan fridge make sure you do not open the door again and don't switch it off.

If you are hanging around in the ferry port for hours as we sometimes are, put the fridge on gas and switch it off before leaving it for the voyage. Your gas bottles should be off anyway. The fridge and freezer compartment will be fine for 24 hrs. If you do not plan to fill the freezer compartment, pre freeze some cartons of milk and put them in the caravan freezer. They will work as freezer packs.

Ern

When I did the 32 hours crossing last year I had to leave home two days before the ferry. I packed the freezer section as tightly as possible with frozen food from my freezer. In the main body of the fridge I put five one litre milk containers containing frozen water and filled the rest as full as possible with normal things including a couple of frozen meals. On arriving at our first site I still could not pour all the water out of the containers as they were still half frozen.

You will find most people recommend freezing milk or juice to put in the main body of the fridge to help keep it cool and I can testify that it really works.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

We have done the 32hr crossing and did as others have suggested. One word of caution though - milk bottles can split when the contents are frozen, so best to tip a bit out first to allow for expansion. Also, make sure you take one unfrozen bottle for use when you get there, as it can take days for the others to defrost.

Edit - the milk will turn yellow when frozen, but it’s perfectly normal.

Edited by Glen and Les
  • Like 1

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2017 Coachman Pastiche 565.

34 minutes ago, wordweb said:

do you leave the fridge switched onto the 12v supply and if so does this flatten the battery after 32 hours??

When the car ignition is switched off, the 12v to the fridge is no longer powered.

I disconnect the lead from the car to the caravan, as an extra precaution to prevent flattening the battery, because this still powers the ATC bulb.

More techy contributors may agree/diagree, but being a non techy person I prefer not to take the risk. :)

The ATC only requires a few milliamps to power the LED bulb, but by all means disconnect the towing socket if it gives peace of mind. Don't forget to reconnect before you disembark :blink:

Land Rover on SORN so not towing anything for a while

We too freeze milk but after having one split we stand them in a polythene bag. The rest of the space is tken up with food to see us through the first couple of days plus stuff like bacon butter and cheese. Main problem with frozen meals is not them defrosting but our remembering to take them out in time .

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

A 4 litre bottle of frozen milk can take a couple of days to defrost - then you have lovely fresh British milk for your cornflakes when you arrive.

I'd leave it empty and shop when I got there - no worries!

John.      :)

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

3 hours ago, Leedslad said:

I'd leave it empty and shop when I got there - no worries!

John.      :)

We are going to be on the road for 3 days before we go shopping so would get a bit hungry :mellow:

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

My loadmaster agrees with you David. I can't stop her packing food into the caravan. It takes days.  

For myself I would set out across Europe relying on local shops as we did in Australia and New Zealand, but No, she won't have it.  We even  took cans of coconut milk to Europe this year - and brought them back.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1