Sign in to follow this  
smino0_1

Review: Pembrey country park

It is with deep regret that i have to write a negative review of this site.

Upon arrival we where shown to our pitch. Inbetween a caravan and a motorhome that decided they thought the whole campsite was theres.

we set up caravan and parked car to the left of our van. then put up a suncanopy. 2 hours later the motorhome occupantes arrived in a car followed by another 2 cars. the owner then came over and asked me to move our car as it was taking his pitch. so i moved it to the otherside of the van. whilst he was parking his car up he hit our water butt. and proceded to park his car within 15 inches of our van. so i went and told him he is too close. so he moed it and then his 4 boys decided they wanted to play football between our van and his car

Beggining of a argument,but not the fault of the site. yet all over the site is signs saying no ball games at all. so i spoke to the warden who said . its just kids having fun. then his dog (4 of them ) were allowed to wonder around the site with leads. peeing on other awnings etc. again i went and said to the wardens . only to fall on deaf ears.

So a conclusion was no body listened to camp rules

Loud music allowed till early hours. contractor on site with vans and diggers etc. dogs aloud to roam free. people kick footballs on site. old tents left by there owners from bad weather and cannot be bother to pack them away.

toilet block looks like something from the 70s.

And all this for £20 per night. Bargain. ...not

We stayed there only once, one time too many, we much preferred Freshwater East. We choose to avoid caravanning in school holidays, however, we are now finding weekends just as bad.

Id this a Camping and Caravanning aite? 

Im under the assumption its council run camp site. as i made a official complaint to the office when we left 2 days out of 4 early. they gave us a . gov site to write into. country park forestry type site.

21 minutes ago, Oscarmax said:

We stayed there only once, one time too many, we much preferred Freshwater East. We choose to avoid caravanning in school holidays, however, we are now finding weekends just as bad.

Yes we have stayed at freshwater east. but this is much futher down the coast. and the 1 we stayed at was camc site.

Edited by smino0_1

Ahh, now I know where you were. There is a Caravan Club site just outside the [arl and I did not lmow if there might be a C&CC site nearby

Good that a contributor has left an honest opinion of a site that is not 100% on the ball. Regarding the close parking and the kids football makes me realise why we stay on child free sites and prefer to tour early in the year and in the autumn, when to be honest most sites are not full.

• Like 1

I was planning on visiting the CAMC site in Pembrey, and also in the country park itself. May have to rethink now.  

It must be me getting (Or got)older. as I'm in no way against sites with children. but within 50 yds  is a field approx 10 football pitch sized area for ball games etc. and even then it not just the children but adults playing music and all that comes with having a good drunk late into the night. just that is not the fault of the site but the way it is run. if it was not for better a word buy looked like a traveller site.

46 minutes ago, carpsurfer wales said:

I was planning on visiting the CAMC site in Pembrey, and also in the country park itself. May have to rethink now.  

This particular site should not affect you of itself

2 hours ago, Oscarmax said:

I must add we stayed at the then Caravan Club site, when we went down to the beach we did notice a scruffy looking caravan site near the beach.

Is this the site in question?

We stayed at Pembrey some years ago, and it was exactly as the OP has reported.

On arrival there were four really nice pitches in a row which were vacant and we told the warden we would like one of those, only to be told they were out of commission, so we pitched elsewhere. Later that evening all four pitches had motorhomes on them, holding a barbecue for the incumbents of the four motorhomes - and the warden and his wife. So much for not being able to reserve pitches.

We had arrived on a Sunday, and Friday evening it began to fill up with the weekend regulars. Sitting down to our evening meal we had a knock on the door. Turns out one of the regulars wanted us to pack up and move as we were on`his` pitch! Needless to say his request was met with a short but negative response. .....

In a way it would have been preferable to have moved, as football, cricket and cycling among the vans became the norm.  

Once visited, never again. The site itself was OK, the country park nice and the beach  clean and expansive, but combined they could never compensate for the `regulars` on there.

If you are considering going there - just don`t. Seriously.

There appears to be confusion in this thread about sites. There are three separate sites mentioned. The site at the lower end of the park near the beach is an area used for rallies by several clubs. The site inside the country park near the cafe building, and I believe the one referred to by the OP, is run by Carmarthenshire County Council.  The third site which is actually just before the country park entrance is a Caravan and Motorhome Club site which shares the Pembrey name but in my opinion based on many visits over a number of years is up to the usual C&MC standards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There certainly does seem to be some confusion about which site is being referred to.

As Oldroamer says, the site before the entrance to the park is a CAMC site and is well run and kept in very good condition and the toilet blocks are very good and well kept.

The site further in on the right is a council run site that caters for all kinds of things, group meetings, and campers who do not belong to one of the clubs, and yes the toilet block is very dated and looks in need of replacing.

The last site near the beach is for rallies and is very basic.

37 minutes ago, Oldroamer said:

There appears to be confusion in this thread about sites. There are three separate sites mentioned. The site at the lower end of the park near the beach is an area used for rallies by several clubs. The site inside the country park near the cafe building, and I believe the one referred to by the OP, is run by Carmarthenshire County Council.  The third site which is actually just before the country park entrance is a Caravan and Motorhome Club site which shares the Pembrey name but in my opinion based on many visits over a number of years is up to the usual C&MC standards.

yes that is correct. but i didnt get to see the rally field but will accept your ref to there being a third area for rallies.

But as per the title i am reviewing the Pembrey country park camp site run by the said council.

Edited by smino0_1

40 minutes ago, Oldroamer said:

I was referring to the C&MC site.  

The others are worse?   Wow!

We are fans of the C&MC site, but only during quiet times. We used to visit Mon-Fri, but, due to child-minding duties on a Monday and Tuesday now, went Wed-Sun last time. Big mistake as the weekenders arrived in force on Friday and, yes, some do tend to consider they own the place! 

this is what we were greeted with upn driving into the camp site. when i asked at reception  why there was old falling down tents scattered about the site. the reply was. The wardens use them to duck into if it starts raining.

IMG_0749.jpg

Edited by smino0_1

On 22/08/2018 at 22:03, Brecon said:

There certainly does seem to be some confusion about which site is being referred to.

As Oldroamer says, the site before the entrance to the park is a CMC site and is well run and kept in very good condition and the toilet blocks are very good and well kept.

The site further in on the right is a council run site that caters for all kinds of things, group meetings, and campers who do not belong to one of the clubs, and yes the toilet block is very dated and looks in need of replacing.

The last site near the beach is for rallies and is very basic.

As season ticket holders to the Country Park we receive emails updating us on developments within the Park and the County as a whole, last week I received an email from the Council and it featured the NEW Toilet Block photos of outside and inside. it looks quite tidy. The Council decided ti invest in the Toilet Block which replaced Porta Cabins because the site has proved  very popular, however, I must admit it is not for us as the pitches are not marked out and we have seen kids run amok evvery time we have passed either walking or driving. The Warden is totally inexperienced, well, the one we spoke to when they first opened. The CMC Site outside the gates of the Park is well run but as Glen and Les says stay well clear during school holidays as again the kids take over the site and will not be told and when you complain to the parents you end up getting abuse. Although we only live 13 miles from the site we have stayed there once but that was out of season and not over the week-end and it was great

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I read that the new toilet block was finished last September  The price of £23  for  August is a bargain against the CMC site next door at £34.    The only thing that puts us off are the bad reviews because the park is lovely .

3 hours ago, joanie said:

I read that the new toilet block was finished last September  The price of £23  for  August is a bargain against the CMC site next door at £34.    The only thing that puts us off are the bad reviews because the park is lovely .

They have seasonal pitches there Joanie - an ex work colleague of mine visits her Daughter there on her seasonal pitch. I’ve seen a pic of their big screen TV and sofas in the awning and, knowing how they like to party, made a swift decision that it’s not our cup of tea. Others may have their own opinions though, which I respect.

• Thanks 1

Alternative is a nice little site in Kidwelly, adults only IIRC, but you'll have a 10  min. drive to Pembrey :(.

We found that the difference in £23 and £34  would be well worth it if you value youe van. Maybe the toilet block has now been finished,but that dont say much for the campers and there out of control children and dogs tho. And yes we have 4 children and 2 dogs,but at least they where brought up with a little respect. unless its me that just doesnt like footballs being kick against the van and dogs aloud to roam around wizzing over awnings and come over to your dogs and attack them whilst they are on a lead. and nobody does anything about it. thats what makes me laugh. not.

• Like 2

Details received last week by email for 2019 pitches  for the Council run site within the Park are 

Peak           £20 with hook up

Off Peak  £18 with hook up

I would still not stay there

• Like 1

We spent a few nights midweek at the Pembry CMC site in excellent weather.  It is so handy for the park it'self where there is great opportunities for Walking and Cycling. There also is a good traffic free coastal trail into the neighbouring town where there is a supermarket and a few shops and a nice harbour. We enjoyed our stay there. , 

• Like 1

On 18/02/2019 at 11:08, bessacarr425 said:

We spent a few nights midweek at the Pembry CMC site in excellent weather.  It is so handy for the park it'self where there is great opportunities for Walking and Cycling. There also is a good traffic free coastal trail into the neighbouring town where there is a supermarket and a few shops and a nice harbour. We enjoyed our stay there. , 

We spent 8 nights there in 2013 in similarly hot weather and loved it but I imagine it's a bit gloomy and boring for kids if the weather isn't so good.  We went horse riding a couple of times at the centre on the park and enjoyed that.