Sign in to follow this  
spreadercraig

Do we need 12v?

Completely new to caravanning but bought an old Mardon Classique to refurbish.

Sooo. ...got to the wiring and thought. ..can we just wire the whole lot to be powered by the hook up? (Leaving the vehicle lights aside) 

Is there some legal requirement? Or is it just from a practical point of view?

If we cant, and it needs a rewire. ..what sort of cost are we looking at?

Cheers

There are many 12v circuits in a van.

The lights are normally all 12v, although some older vans did have a couple of mains operated lights as well.

Water pump is 12v, along with ignition for fire and fridge, and fridge internal light.

Battery charging and fridge operation from the towing vehicle when in transit are 12v.

Toilet flush is 12v, although in older vans they were often manual pumps.

There is normally a battery charger in the system that is mains powered from the EHU, with 12v output, and that can be used to power 12v circuits without a leisure battery, although not usually recommended.

If you are going to have a motor mover on the van, that can only be 12v operation, and it is also generally advised not to use the supply straight from the charger with the EHU connected (ie without a leisure battery).

Edited by hp100425ev

How old is your caravan?  Some Classiques are old enough to have gas lighting, in which case they probably never had mains hookup or 12v except for the road lights.

I would personally wire for 12V. It is quite common to have EHU problems on sites for an hour or two, so it is convenient for most essential things, i. e. lights, water pump to continue working. Also I believe most caravan fridges use 12V for  system control even when they are running from mains for the cooling, so it may be difficult to have no 12V system.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DACS said:

How old is your caravan?  Some Classiques are old enough to have gas lighting, in which case they probably never had mains hookup or 12v except for the road lights.

Its a 1987.

Ok so looks like I need 12v!

Just be aware that some onbaord 12v transformer/chargers will supply mains to sockets etc. , but will not produce a 12v current unless a battery is connected to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1