Sign in to follow this  
Mike James

Adding an internal water tank

Easier and cheaper to instal a permanent pump internal to pump from the tank, feed the incoming supply from the aquarol into the tank. No valves, no messing about. I changed my Senator to work like this, way better.

I've just seen Gordon's post, that's the way I've done it but I also added a level switch to switch off the external pump when the onboard tank is full.

On 24/08/2018 at 22:44, Mike James said:

Great. Haha!

Hardly a lifelong ambition but might be boredom as I've now fixed everything in my 1992 van and I miss tinkering.

It will hardly get used and I would  only run with it filled or half filled if there's a chance of free camping. My car does have a fairly high tow bar weight anyway and I am nowhere near it.

It's just a case of having some readily available hot or cold water from the taps for a wash and to do the dishes for a single night should the need arise.

Worst case is I would be draining some toothpaste and soapy water into the flora.

Mike, go for it, an internal tank is very convenient, I use mine all of the time and always carry enough water for a shower, tea and washing up etc ready for when I overnight in services or layby etc. You always get the same comments reducing payload yet the same people will carry loads of kit - TV's, Sat Dishes, different lengths of hook up cable thats what payload is there for - to be used. Onboard water is really convenient when it turns really cold outside, I have seen frozen aquarols whilst filling my kettle from my onboard water tank.

Having water "on tap" is particularly appreciated when arriving on a site and the sky is leaking, because I can choose if / when to go and collect water. All of our caravans and motorhomes have been completely self contained so I can cook a meal, listen to the radio, etc., without the need for any external services, for example if we arrive after dark on a rally site, or it's chucking it down, all the setting up can then be left 'till the following morning.

It's hardly of world shattering importance, but it certainly makes life more convenient, and that inevitably adds to the enjoyment of a holiday.

2 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

I've just seen Gordon's post, that's the way I've done it but I also added a level switch to switch off the external pump when the onboard tank is full.

I would have done the same but for the fact that there isn't always an external tank connected and the refill pumps for the caravans were sometimes onboard, not detachable submersibles.

Gordon

I find it interesting the way people try to put people off doing mods to a caravan. The last three caravans I've had I have fitted an on board water tank. I now have a Pegasus 646 which has a 25 ltr on board tank. We are a family of eight and found that the children spent a lot of the holliday filling the aqua-roll. I removed the 25ltr tank and fitted a 70ltr tank in the under bed locker next to the water heater, a quick job of rerouting the inlet pipe in to the tank. I then fitted two switches in the wardrobe one powers the 'vans on board pump the other powers the submersible pump in the aqua-roll to fill the on board tank.   Why do this? It means that when setting up the children do three runs to fill the water system, then we have 120-170ltr of water ( one or two aqua-rolls and the on board tank  ) the children only fill an aqua-roll when we're getting low but can be done when the weather is good.  

Off topic I have put led lights in the wardrobe and kitchen cupboards that switch on when the doors are opened. I believe that the caravan is ours for holidays so I will do all I can to make it easy-to-use for US if I sell the caravan the next owner can use or remove my mods. This isn't ment to be a rant, if that is how it reads I'm sorry, but to each his own.  

• Like 2

On 26/08/2018 at 07:46, Gordon said:

I would have done the same but for the fact that there isn't always an external tank connected and the refill pumps for the caravans were sometimes onboard, not detachable submersibles.

Gordon

My Senator was like that but the faff under the seats to swap the valves over negated the advantage having the tank. A separate filling port on the outside and the float switch etc made it very convenient.

Edited by AJGalaxy2012

After the mixed reception I went with a solution that I can easily remove if necessary, and it was done the way I like it. Dirt cheap.

I bought a plastic brewers barrel with a screw top and a tap near the bottom for £10 on Shpock and it is fitted it in one of the gas cylinder holders as I only use 1 gas bottle. Conveniently, the tap sits right over one of the floor vents so I can drain it without any faff and fill it using a hose through the screw top.

I bought a pump for £11 and it sits in the bottom of the barrel with the hose running out of the screw top, under the van and up through one of the floor vents under the seating. I connected it to the existing system with a Y joint between the existing filling point and the water heater and it has a one way valve so the external pump doesn't push water back out to the external tank. The existing filling point already has a one way valve so the internal pump doesn't push water out of the side of the van.

Luckily the pressure switch doesn't need adjusting when switching between pumps, which is done with a SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) switch, with one side connected to the external pump and one connected to the new internal one. The switch sits next to the existing On/Off for the pump system so no digging through cupboards to use it.

It couldn't be simpler and I generally just keep enough water for a wash, a brew and a sink for washing up.

It would freeze in winter as it is basically outside but I wouldn't use the water system in those conditions anyway.

I'm happy with it and it saves faffing around on a few occasions.

If you didn't like this idea, you will hate my next one. .......

On ‎22‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 22:15, Black Grouse said:

It's not usual to carry water with you, but to get it on site - most British caravans with internal tanks are designed to tow with them empty, just as the Aqua-roll is transported empty.

My view exactly. I think you would be better keeping 10 litres in the aquaroll and then travelling with the 10kg weight over the axle in the van.