Sign in to follow this  
John_b_45

Draining an ALDE Boiler

A couple of times recently (by no means every time)  I've been amazed at how little water drained from the boiler.   Mostly the "drain stream" runs for a few minutes but yesterday hardly any water came out.

Fine for now but winter is approaching!

The van was static when drained so no movement to "free" anything but the usual taps open etc.

Anyone know if there is a way to check water retention in the boiler (seem to remember seeing a drain tap on a diagram I think) and more importantly getting rid of any remaining water?

Wondered about tilting the van but can't see that doing much - might be fine for draining heating but not water from the boiler! 

Ideas gratefully accepted - and if any solve the problem I'll post back for others.  

Are you talking about draining the water system or the heating fluid from tge Alde boiler.

To drain the fresh water (as opposed to heating fluid), opening the yellow drain tap and the kitchen sink tap should drain almost all the water from the hot water tank.

Some use the Flo Draindown Kit to remove water from the water pipes, others close the kitchen tap and blow down the shower hose, after opening the shower lever/tap.

A draindown kit similar to the FLO can be made for much less than the approximate £40cost of the Floe kit.

When you're leaving a site, switch the pump off, open all taps, open the drain tap and drive home.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Vanning Man said:

Are you talking about draining the water system or the heating fluid from tge Alde boiler.

Just the water system - that remaining in the boiler/pipes.

17 hours ago, hp100425ev said:

To drain the fresh water (as opposed to heating fluid), opening the yellow drain tap and the kitchen sink tap should drain almost all the water from the hot water tank.

Some use the Flo Draindown Kit to remove water from the water pipes, others close the kitchen tap and blow down the shower hose, after opening the shower lever/tap.

A draindown kit similar to the FLO can be made for much less than the approximate £40cost of the Floe kit.

Although there will be some residual pressure in the system so some water will escape through the kitchen tap it will be relatively little.   As soon as the pressure is released then it stops.    The boiler drain is the lowest point.  

Not interested in water in pipes really - just that in boiler although pipe water has to flow out of course.   All taps are open at the "hot" setting.

16 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

When you're leaving a site, switch the pump off, open all taps, open the drain tap and drive home.

Usual procedure but have used the van parked at home for "overflow" sleeping so no towing involved! 

So nothing stands out as a way forward over and above the usual.  

Draining, leaving outlets open and driving should do it. You can also check that your red breather valve, located in the upper corner of the boiler, isn't clogged with limescale, causing vacuum lock.

Once the hot water has cooled, flip open the yellow toggle to drain the water. Put an fresh, empty container under where it drains on the outside (clear plastic pipe, cut at an angle). Then, remove the red breather valve. It's Speedfit push-fit, so pinch the collar into the valve body and pull. It should slide off of the duct.

If you suddenly get a rush of water into your container, you know that the red breather valve is clogged, so try descaling it, similar to how you would your kettle.

The red breather valve has a smaller bore clear plastic pipe affixed. This routes to the underside of the caravan and provides air. If it is kinked, you may also experience a vacuum lock, preventing your water from draining.

Edited by Alde UK
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Alde for that explanation. Topic will be pinned for future use.

From my experience of a failure of the non return valve inside that red fitting and my miserable attempts to clear it I would be tempted to replace it with new. I couldn't get the Speedfit to seat on the duct when I refitted it and got a nasty leak inside the caravan when I refilled the boiler.

2 hours ago, Alde UK said:

Draining, leaving outlets open and driving should do it. You can also check that your red breather valve, located in the upper corner of the boiler, isn't clogged with limescale, causing vacuum lock.

Once the hot water has cooled, flip open the yellow toggle to drain the water. Put an fresh, empty container under where it drains on the outside (clear plastic pipe, cut at an angle). Then, remove the red breather valve. It's Speedfit push-fit, so pinch the collar into the valve body and pull. It should slide off of the duct.

If you suddenly get a rush of water into your container, you know that the red breather valve is clogged, so try descaling it, similar to how you would your kettle.

The red breather valve has a smaller bore clear plastic pipe affixed. This routes to the underside of the caravan and provides air. If it is kinked, you may also experience a vacuum lock, preventing your water from draining.

1 hour ago, onewheelonmywagon said:

From my experience of a failure of the non return valve inside that red fitting and my miserable attempts to clear it I would be tempted to replace it with new. I couldn't get the Speedfit to seat on the duct when I refitted it and got a nasty leak inside the caravan when I refilled the boiler.

Thanks both.   I'll try and hopefully get a result.