ladydode100

water from aquaroll

Hello everyone.

How can we avoid that taste that comes from  using the  aquaroll after it has  been  unused for a while, sometimes its there, and sometimes not.

Any tips?

Dode.

We clean ours with a couple of Miltons sterilising tablets when it hasnt been used for a while and then dont drink from it for the first 4 or 5 days.

Never had a bad taste.

Think that a clean now and again is probably not a bad thing.

When we packed up from a near 4 week stay on our last outing, I noticed that when I withdrew the blue take off pipe from the Aquaroll it was slightly slimy to the touch.

Will give ours the Milton treatment before it's next use.

We store our water hog with the top and side caps off. Puraclean before next use. No problem drinking water from the system.

• Like 1

It could be from the caravan pipes rather than the aquaroll, if its a TCP/metallic taste it probably is.  Chlorine in tap water can react with the pipework or seals to give a TCP like taste.

One way to reduce it is to use citric acid (from chemist homebrew shop) citric acid will also help to clear limescale in the system, then sterilise with Puriclean, don't use chlorine based sterilisers as they could make it taste worse or even damage the stainless steel liners.

I never put chemicals in any of my alter systems and the only time we have ever had the tcp taste is when the aquaroll was filled from a tap with a garden hose attached, the yellow reinforced type.

Ian

In nearly 40 years, we have NEVER EVER used water from the aquaroll for drinking, and not even for making tea or coffee.

we have always used a separate jug filled at the site tap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We only use the aqua roll for washing dishes and us and when the water is boiled for tea and cooking . We use bottles water for drinking and for the dogs as well.   As we live in a soft water area we do notice the taste when touring in hard water areas.

We use a water filter jug and put it in the fridge . . .

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, hp100425ev said:

In nearly 40 years, we have NEVER EVER used water from the aquaroll for drinking, and not even for making tea or coffee.

we have always used a separate jug filled at the site tap.

As I've said elsewhere on the forum, we've always used the caravan water for drinking and never had an issue.

On 16/08/2018 at 07:51, Gordon said:

Each person must do what they feel best but I've been drinking site water via caravan taps without filters all of my life and I'm still alive to enjoy my retirement. Providing the water is sourced from a reliable mains supply and the water storage container is kept clean by sterilising it regularly along with the caravan supply pipes and taps there should be no health issues. Unless replaced as directed the filter can be a breeding ground for unwanted nasties, especially if left in circuit while the caravan is in prolonged storage, so I've removed them from all of our caravans and motorhomes.

Gordon

• Like 2

I think its all down to how we taste things, our friends have never had a problem with their caravan water but their tcp tea taste terrible to us, much the same with asparagus some love the taste some don't.

Says I who comes from the Brussel Sprout capital of Britain :)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Gordon said:

As I've said elsewhere on the forum, we've always used the caravan water for drinking and never had an issue.

Gordon

It's just another of those 'personal preferences'.  I have not cleaned caravan water works in many years as I much prefer to fill 2 x 2l water jugs from the pitch tap every couple of days or so rather than cleaning aquaroll, onboard tank and pipework.   My time is precious - I suspect I've had more than I'm owed!:(

I would never drink water from a caravan. Theres no way of knowing how clean the pipe work is. We only use it for washing up, and have bottles of drinking water for making cups of tea etc.

Only ever drunk water from the Aquaroll and how many of us check and clean our pipes at home?

• Like 1

How many have mains water connected to a caravan 24-7 365 days a year without ever draining down :mellow:

• Like 1

Do not use Milton, which contains ingredients that will damage the  Alde boiler, use Puriclean which is recommended by Alde. Follow the instructions on the pack and you will not have a residual taste.  

We have been caravaning for over 35 years and always drunk the water from the Aquaroll with out ill effects.   

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Vanning Man said:

Do not use Milton, which contains ingredients that will damage the  Alde boiler, use Puriclean which is recommended by Alde. Follow the instructions on the pack and you will not have a residual taste.  

We have been caravaning for over 35 years and always drunk the water from the Aquaroll with out ill effects.   

Its the taste in the water that's the problem not the cleanliness of the water, its also in some houses and most water authorities have web articles regarding this taste,

heres a sample

https://www.anglianwater.co.uk/_assets/media/12673_ANW_WQ_06_Smell_Taste_TCP_(3)_CAM.pdf

https://www.hartlepoolwater.co.uk/household/tcp-tastes-odours.aspx

https://www.nwl.co.uk/_assets/documents/Northumbrian_Water_-_antiseptic_medical_or_TCP_smells_or_tastes.pdf

Similar to others here, we never use the aquaroll supply for personal consumption.  Every trip starts with a new five litre water tub from the supermarket.  That tub is directly refilled from the site drinking water tap for the remainder of the trip and is then crushed and binned at the end.

All of our drinking water, whether at home or in the caravan goes into our Brita filter jug before use too so taste is not really an issue.  

1 hour ago, WispMan said:

Only ever drunk water from the Aquaroll and how many of us check and clean our pipes at home?

Same here. I clean the Aquaroll and water system once a year. We always use the water from the Aquaroll for making tea and never have a problem with it. We don't have a filter in the system and don't understand why people faff around with filters and jugs.

And don't get me started on showers. Of course we use the shower in the van. There often isn't one on the sites we go to.

We just use it like the tap at home. Clean the system once a year. No problems in six years and we are a young family so bugs are normal.

Please don't get me started on bottled water and filters!

Can't say I've come across the TCP taste. Water tastes slightly different wherever you go but never had this issue.

• Like 1

We use the aquaroll water for everything. If we ever notice the TCP taste, a quick flush through with puriclean soon sorts it.  

We do always drain down when we finish our trips

• Like 1

We don't drink from ours, we use bottled water for drinking. Never really considered it clean enough tbh.

Boiling it for a brew is fine but I wouldn't drink from it personally.

I drink direct from mine and have done for years and am still alive.

Some people won't drink from the (heavily regulated and tested) tap at home, but always buy bottled water that has far fewer tests and has been sitting around in plastic bottles in the sun for an unknown period of time. And that's before we start talking about reducing plastic use. ...

• Like 1

Are a

9 hours ago, daveat92 said:

I drink direct from mine and have done for years and am still alive.

Some people won't drink from the (heavily regulated and tested) tap at home, but always buy bottled water that has far fewer tests and has been sitting around in plastic bottles in the sun for an unknown period of time. And that's before we start talking about reducing plastic use. ...

Have all bottles of water of water been sitting in the sun for unknown periods of time?  Except for my morning coffee (filtered tap water),  I only drink sparkling water (copiously - two litres a day is normal) and I have to say there is not too much sunshine in Costco or the other supermarkets we venture into. ..

The plastic bottles are a concern of course.  A properly instituted bottle return system - a worthwhile tax on bottles, plastic and glass, refunded or credited on return (like the old deposit on beer and soft drinks bottles) would be a welcome move.

11 minutes ago, happynomad said:

Are a

Have all bottles of water of water been sitting in the sun for unknown periods of time?  Except for my morning coffee (filtered tap water),  I only drink sparkling water (copiously - two litres a day is normal) and I have to say there is not too much sunshine in Costco or the other supermarkets we venture into. ..

The plastic bottles are a concern of course.  A properly instituted bottle return system - a worthwhile tax on bottles, plastic and glass, refunded or credited on return (like the old deposit on beer and soft drinks bottles) would be a welcome move.

Is there a source spring at each Cosco then?!