Unfortunately the time has come to hang up those keys for a few years. With eldest in final couple of years at school & exams, we just aren't going to get the opportunity to go away in the van until the summer, so it doesn't make sense to keep the van & all its costs for just one trip a year. Feel a bit of a loss, but its something we will definitely return to later on in life - once it's in your blood it never leaves you!

This van has been by far our best van over the years, so its a real wrench to move on. But move on we shall do until next time

So, the van is up for sale (see classifieds) & hope to see it go to a good home

A sad day Milky, but you have to do what is right for you and your family, I hope that this does not mean that you will stop you from contributing to CT.     Good Luck and hope to see you back on here soon

I stopped caravaning for almost 20 years due to family and other committments.

Now retired and having much longer holidays - its a different kind of caravaning.

Hang on in there I'm sure you will be back!

We were very fortunate that our daughter came with us in the caravan right through her teenage years from choice, as she then got to meet her "caravan friends" on the many rallies we attended. She's now married with a family of her own, and caravanning is obviously in her blood as her hubby has built his own caravan from scratch for them all to use.

It's always sad when we decide a change of lifestyle is needed, and as you say, caravanning does get in your blood so I am sure you will return to it later. In the meantime, enjoy yourselves and I hope you will continue to look in on the forum and contribute when you can.

All the very best,

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

40 minutes ago, Gordon said:

We were very fortunate that our daughter came with us in the caravan right through her teenage years from choice, as she then got to meet her "caravan friends" on the many rallies we attended. She's now married with a family of her own, and caravanning is obviously in her blood as her hubby has built his own caravan from scratch for them all to use.

It's always sad when we decide a change of lifestyle is needed, and as you say, caravanning does get in your blood so I am sure you will return to it later. In the meantime, enjoy yourselves and I hope you will continue to look in on the forum and contribute when you can.

All the very best,

Gordon.

I'll still lurk about. Daughter is 15 & in her final year of GCSE's. Looking forward to a different type of caravanning in later years & those 6wk tours of Europe (I already have my plans set!). Kids have grown up with the vans we have had & even after honest chats with everyone, we will miss it, but it just isn't right to use it once a year. We did toy with putting it on a seasonal, but we've seen the light in going to France. ...

Will be making the most of the van before it goes & if it doesn't go this autumn, it will go early spring

It's a sad time when your hobby has to take a backstage. But the more important thing is your family. College and University is a different era in life enjoy it as your children become adults and choose their own direction. I can only speak from my experience.

8 hours ago, milkymarsh said:

Will be making the most of the van before it goes & if it doesn't go this autumn, it will go early spring

I think you've chosen the right time to put your caravan on the market. Springtime is when people are looking forward to sunshine and holidays, so hopefully you should get a good price. As you're not planning to give up completely it's worth keeping the accessories such as water containers, security locks, and other caravan parafernalia that you will undoubtedly have built up over the years as they can cost  small fortune to replace.

Finally I hope your daughter does well in her GCSEs and makes the most of her teenage years as it's a time we all remember as we move into adulthood.

Good luck to you all.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

I don't follow "With eldest in final couple of years at school & exams, we just aren't going to get the opportunity to go away in the van until the summer"  why does this stop you going away?

macafee2

I hope you've considered a seasonal pitch - somewhere to get away for short periods, something your eldest might appreciate.

26 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

I don't follow "With eldest in final couple of years at school & exams, we just aren't going to get the opportunity to go away in the van until the summer"  why does this stop you going away?

macafee2

Should have expanded, a lot of weekends also tied up through school, and my work now involves a lot more travelling direct into London, so opportunities to get away are also diminished. Hence the reason why it would only get used in the main holiday. Man maths in our recent trip to France means that we can get a static for £700 more than our tourer, without the running of one.

BG: Seasonal pitch was considered, but discounted as we just wouldn’t get the use out of it during the year

2 hours ago, milkymarsh said:

Should have expanded, a lot of weekends also tied up through school, and my work now involves a lot more travelling direct into London, so opportunities to get away are also diminished. Hence the reason why it would only get used in the main holiday. Man maths in our recent trip to France means that we can get a static for £700 more than our tourer, without the running of one.

BG: Seasonal pitch was considered, but discounted as we just wouldn’t get the use out of it during the year

We went from a static to a tourer to save money!! Those static parks have perfected every way of getting the cash out of your wallet & in to their tills. Worked out cheaper for us to own the Bailey.  

Our daughter is also in her gcse year - she's done two already & gets those results next week - she has 7 more to do this year, plus finding a college that caters for her chosen career, as her school doesn't offer the courses she wants to do. Add that to her also starting a part time job & its going to be a hectic 12 months for her & us.  

Our hols have now taken a complete u-turn as well as my in-laws emigrate to Cyprus next week, so we'll be following them out there a few days later (on mine & Honk's birthday) for a week & can see us using their spare bedrooms when ever we get the opportunity.  

Hope you find a buyer who can appreciate your van as much as you did :)   

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

You’ve made me realise this will probably happen to us when FB Junior is older, the chance to get away for a break at Easter and May half term diminished for 4 years, we’re already restricted to outside his Rugby season (mid May to early September)!

Same thing happened to us when our boys became teenagers and had so many commitments that we found we weren’t using the van as much. Put it on a seasonal pitch for the last year, but then decided to sell up - always knowing, deep down, that one day we would return. Had a break of about 13 years before coming back. Interestingly, now we can’t get away as much as we’d like due to minding the Grandchildren 2 days a week - and so we find ourselves also asking the question “Do we keep or do we sell?”  Les would sell up tomorrow - I’m hanging on, but not sure which way this is going to go. You have to do what feels right for you at the right time - Good Luck Milkymarsh.

Glen.

Hey Milky!  My great grand kids are in the same position as yours!!;)  Hope  all goes well - stick around.

What goes around. ..

Son 37 still lives in our loft. Daughter 35 moving back in with her 3 dogs next month.

So we have built in caretakers for the 100 or so days a year we are out vanning. (No impact on house insurance premiums)

I say they are getting the "use" out of their inheritance early. :D

So hang in there and possibly reap the benefits on the other side!

GB.

20 hours ago, milkymarsh said:

You seem to have thought through what works for you - good luck for all of you.

When our younger daughter went to uni, we found the van to be a valuable means of staying for the odd weekend nearby to give moral support - and inevitably to stock up her larder!

We were much the same, sold our first caravan when the boys got older and didn’t want to “go vanning “ with us.

After a 25 year break we purchased our Coachman and love to get away as much as possible.  We’re still babysitting grandchildren and even have them with us on occasions but yes things are so much different these days.

Good luck for the future whatever you decide.

It's a shame you're getting rid MM, our daughter recently turned 15 and she still loves coming caravanning with us and campervanning with her grandparents.

My Mrs is a teacher and has every weekend free and 13 weeks holiday a year (I'm not jealous, honest) and in my current job I don't have to work weekends, if that changes in the future I would have to consider if keeping the caravan makes sense.

As things stand once my nipper decides she no longer wants to come, I may consider downsizing because whilst having a 2. 5m wide 2 tonne caravan is very nice, it seriously limits my choice of towcar.

On 19/08/2018 at 09:50, FrankBullet said:

we’re already restricted to outside his Rugby season (mid May to early September)!

My Mrs wanted to go away on Friday afternoon, she's got no chance this weekend, it's the start of the new Bundesliga season and we're at home to Bayer Leverkusen on Saturday.

I guess we're in a similar situation.   Our daughter turned 14 yesterday and isn't really the "outdoors" type as I am, my wife is okay with the outdoors life but prefers going shopping for walking gear etc rather than actually using it!  We were supposed to be away this weekend with my parents at Leek, but my Mother in Law got taken into hospital last weekend and the first 24 hours were a "prepare yourselves for the worse" situation.   By Monday she was back home but my wife didn't want to go away, preferring to visit her mum, nothing wrong with that obviously, but it's a holiday cancelled and the next trip out isn't until half term at the end of October.

It sometimes feels like we've done the UK to-death over the 25 years we've been caravaning.   I'm a bit odd and have a phobia of foreign travel (okay, very odd) so taking the caravan abroad isn't going to happen for us.   I could mentally cope with package style holidays (someone else in charge of the communications should an emergency situation occur) but there is a massive difference between coping and enjoying.

So here we are with a new caravan that so far has been used four times (about 30 nights), I'd love to use it more but the enthusiasm declines through the household.   The only way I could afford to do the package-holiday thing is to sell the caravan, which would make me miserable to the point of being unbearable.   It's an odd situation to be in.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

We fell into a similar dilemma when we found weekends were becoming harder to come by.   A lot of the time we could manage one night away, but not two.   

We sold the caravan and moved over to an old motorhome instead.   It's worked well for us, as our daughter sails most weekends, so we camp over at the sailing club.    Cheap bar, and no pitch fees! lol

32849434_10215950075167591_5006776250350436352_o.jpg

1 hour ago, craigderby said:

We fell into a similar dilemma when we found weekends were becoming harder to come by.   A lot of the time we could manage one night away, but not two.   

We sold the caravan and moved over to an old motorhome instead.   It's worked well for us, as our daughter sails most weekends, so we camp over at the sailing club.    Cheap bar, and no pitch fees! lol

32849434_10215950075167591_5006776250350436352_o.jpg

A bit brave to use your step as a lift for your back wheel Craig. ;)

1 hour ago, SamD said:

A bit brave to use your step as a lift for your back wheel Craig. ;)

I was thinking the same, but more like the dogs head