Sites within walking distance to town?

We normally go away in October half-term and get the Christmas shopping done, this year we were going to go to Rowntree Park (York) but it's booked solid.   Anyone recommend any other sites that are within walking distance to a decent town?  We did Moreton in Marsh last year but to be honest as nice as it is, Moreton isn't exactly a big town and we ended up driving to other towns.   Beachwood Grange C&MHC site is nice, but is a car journey away from the site and is also booked on one of the days we wanted to go (Leicestershire half term is w/c Monday 22nd October, we were looking to go from 20th to 25th).

Anyone got any recommendations that I might have missed?

Thanks

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

The C&CC site at Oxford (formerly known as Oxford International) is behind a Go Outdoors shop and next to the Redbridge Park and Ride station, so while it's not the most attractive site, it is well situated as a base for visiting the city. It's approximately a mile and a half right to the city centre, but there is a well signed cycle track/footpath that passes through the back streets and then behind the houses that will get you to the city without the need to fight the traffic. Two minutes walk from the site is the park and ride and that will get you to the centre in just a few minutes, traffic permitting. Take a look at David's report that is the third one down on this page.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

Yes, that's a good site which we've used before. An even nicer way into the centre (but slightly longer) is to cut across eastwards to the river then follow that.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2, 1955 Francis Barnett Cruiser 75

Is Shrewsbury CC reopened now? That's close to the town. There's a commercial site 30 minutes walk from Ludlow, maybe the town too small for you? We usually go to rural sites so can't think of any more at the moment.  

Depends what you call a decent town.  Obviously, York is a very decent town hence the need to book a pitch on Rowntree Park in good time.

We really like Barnard Castle, it's not as big as York but it's a very nice place and you can walk into the town from the C&MH Club  Site.  There are lots of other country walks from there too.

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

10 minutes ago, TinShack said:

Is Shrewsbury CC reopened now? That's close to the town.

Tin Shack, we visit Shropshire regularly so I'm intrigued about the site you refer to - is it a CMC (was CC) clubsite?  When we visit Shrewsbury area we stay at the C&CC site at Ebury Hill, but that's a mile or two out of town.

John

The Camping and Caravanning site at Hudsons Field, Salisbury (SP1 3SA), is about a 1 mile walk alongside the river into Salisbury. It's open to non members. Plenty to do in the area, Stonehenge, Old Sarum, Salisbury Cathedral and the Magna Carta.

Mike.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

47 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

Tin Shack, we visit Shropshire regularly so I'm intrigued about the site you refer to - is it a CMC (was CC) clubsite?  When we visit Shrewsbury area we stay at the C&CC site at Ebury Hill, but that's a mile or two out of town.

John

Oxon Hall  was a CC affiliated site next to a Park and Ride on the Shrewsbury outskirts which appears to be no longer affiliated. It is still part of the Morris Leisure group.

• Like 1

On the York subject, have you looked at sites near train stations? There are quite a few commuter lines running into York and also lots of campsites, you might find a match!

1 hour ago, mrchiggles said:

On the York subject, have you looked at sites near train stations? There are quite a few commuter lines running into York and also lots of campsites, you might find a match!

I think there’s a site at Naburn and from there you can get a water bus into York.  This is ‘off the top of my head ‘, so you would need to check.   http://www. naburnlock. co. uk/

John.

Edited by Leedslad

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

36 minutes ago, Leedslad said:

I think there’s a site at Naburn and from there you can get a water bus into York.  This is ‘off the top of my head ‘, so you would need to check.   http://www. naburnlock. co. uk/

John.

My niece usually books Rowntree park a couple of days before she wants to go but if she can't get in (usually does) she books Naburn Lock and uses the river bus

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Chapel Lane is on the outskirts of Birmingham. Close to the M42. You can jump on a bus to Brum just outside the site. The Bull Ring shopping centre is as good as it gets.

Edited by Ern

Ern

If you take a look at my website here http://www.davidklyne.co.uk/uk_campsite_new_2_index.html 

and look at the sites with a little motorhome logo these sites are either close enough to walk or have a bus train service from near the site. Hope that helps.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Could be worth ringing Rowntree Park site and asking if they have availability - worked for us in the past.

Burrs Country Park CMC Club Site - walk into Bury, tram to Manchester.

Chester Fairoaks CMC Club Site - walk to Cheshire Oaks outlet, bus into Chester.

Edited by hp100425ev

cotswold carp farm, 10 minute walk into bourton -on-the-water

Nissan X trail Dci 150 Sport - Bailey Ranger 520 /4

Swiss farm at Henley on thames, very good site great facitities, 15 minute walk into Henley.

9 hours ago, DeeTee said:

Oxon Hall  was a CC affiliated site next to a Park and Ride on the Shrewsbury outskirts which appears to be no longer affiliated. It is still part of the Morris Leisure group.

That's the one. I believe it closed for a while recently for a refit. As a matter of interest the site near Ludlow is also part of the Morris Leisure group. We're always there in February and like it quite well.

The trouble with Bourton-on-the-Water is all the tourists! Once they all go home it takes on a whole new and more pleasant atmosphere. I can't see it providing much to satisfy Christmas shopping though.

Even Broadway only has a few overpriced stores to choose from.

Exmoor house, Dulverton! Short, less than 5 mins into town! Lovely site!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Thanks for all the comments, in the end we've gone for the CAMHC site at Durham.   It's somewhere we've never been before and although you cannot walk into town, it's only a 3 mile drive into the centre so we'll give it a try.

We've also noted down a lot fo your suggestions and will consider them for next years bookings.   Although looking at the CAMHC web site, a lot of places for next year are getting booked up already!

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

27 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

Thanks for all the comments, in the end we've gone for the CAMHC site at Durham.   It's somewhere we've never been before and although you cannot walk into town, it's only a 3 mile drive into the centre so we'll give it a try.

We've also noted down a lot fo your suggestions and will consider them for next years bookings.   Although looking at the CAMHC web site, a lot of places for next year are getting booked up already!

Have fun - we live in Newcastle - it’s about 8 minutes on the train from Durham if you find yourself wanting more big city shopping!

Burrs Country Park. Tis a long walk to Bury Tram station. We use the taxi for  £5. Tel. 0161 797 1444

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

1 hour ago, GaryB1969 said:

Have a good holiday Gary, but next time if you break free from Club sites you will have so much more choice.  

• Like 2