Sign in to follow this  
cypher007

best mobile phone based sat nav?

want to use my mobile phone to nav, but a bit worried about some comments about google maps which I normally use.

is waze better? or can I get a tomtom caravan version for mobile phones?

Tom Tom do an App. ..BUT they also state that it isn't as good as a proper sat-nav. ...With phone navigation there is always the temptation and /or need to touch it, that makes it illegal does it not??

geoff

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

With phone navigation there is always the temptation and /or need to touch it, that makes it illegal does it not??

I think that it would be acceptable if the phone was fixed in a suitable bracket and not hand held.

Personally, I would always use a dedicated GPS receiver.   They are not expensive and are designed for the job.

Our small car has Apple Car Play.   which is a large screen that 'mirrors' the phone screen and disables many of the apps.   This is a superb system but at the moment only uses Apple Maps.     Rumour has it they will also be releasing an update that allows Google Maps soon.   There may be some other sat nav apps that it can display I don't know as Apple Maps is fine for me.    Wish the Sorento had it.

A normal phone screen is quite adequate if positioned properly.   It is considerably larger that the first sat nav I owned.    There are advantages in as much as the Google traffic is usually (in my experience )  up to date. and it is free.   Other free apps are available.   A dedicated sat nav is probably better but not free.

As for touching it that is down to one thing, self discipline.   Though any Sat nav used properly is far safer than trying to read a map on the move.

Of course if you have an ipad mini with phone and 3g then it has a GPS chip so you have it made as it's a nice big screen.   A  simple ipad mini with only Wifi does not have the chip, least ways mine hasn't.   If anyone knows of a way of connecting the Ipad Mini to the phone to mirror the screen, without using wifi let us know please.

I use google maps and sometimes Android auto all over Europe with no problems at all. It also works well in Korea and the US

It's like a lot of things so long as you don't let it become a replacement for common sense it's fine.

It's particularly useful for avoiding traffic in real time when dashing back to an airport or ferry.

The only problem I found when using a mobile phone to navigate is when there is no signal.

47 minutes ago, oldboy said:

The only problem I found when using a mobile phone to navigate is when there is no signal.

Our village has zero coverage and 2 CL's,the adjoining two villages have another 2 CL's and 2 Commercial sites and sparse coverage.

geoff

Do you need a phone signal ?  Mine uses satellites for navigation, and I use a feebie called nav mi.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alexbee said:

Do you need a phone signal ?  Mine uses satellites for navigation, and I use a feebie called navmii.

Looks interesting. ..and free.

geoff

I've used NAVMII in Spain and tis good. I'm not sure it needs a signal.

2 hours ago, Alexbee said:

Do you need a phone signal ?  Mine uses satellites for navigation, and I use a feebie called nav mi.

Unless it will work with offline maps and you download them before you set off then you need a phone signal. The satellites will tell you where you are but you need a map to show you and to navigate

I've been using the free HERE app for a couple of years now on an old Nexus tablet and find it way better than my Garmin.   You download the maps so that it has an 'off-line' mode if there's no internet and it even gives you a selection of routes to choose from.   

https://play. google. com/store/apps/details?id=com. here. app. maps

9 hours ago, Richard080561 said:

Unless it will work with offline maps and you download them before you set off then you need a phone signal. The satellites will tell you where you are but you need a map to show you and to navigate

Thats why I use nav mi. That and because its free.

• Like 1

Try CoPilot, - www. copilot. com - downloads all the info onto the phone, just needs the GPS signal not the mobile signal.

The app is free, you then buy the maps for which area you need, ( I have Western Europe, USA, and Australia. ) Prices vary, but updates are free, and you can download them onto different devices - I use a 7" tablet.

Don't bother with the RV and Caravan version,the standard. Version is excellent.

Google on standard Android phones for us.  

Really, you don't need a phone signal as you can use offline maps, but it won't give you the traffic info.

Android phones seem to suggest offline areas to download (work and home for me). No doubt you can choose to download a larger area. Depends on pre planning though.

Personally, I find it much more realistic in terms of journey times that the BMW nav. Also, it seems to avoid really small roads or residential rat runs. So far, the traffic data has been really accurate.

The one thing we don't like about it is road closures. Even motorway closures don't seem to feature. Very annoying if it's planned a route assuming a road is open. E. g. we quite often have a choice of M6 or M1 to get back from the Midlands, I hate getting in the M6 only to find one of the many night time closures is in place.

Overall, It's such a clever, useful, neat tool.

I'm a Co-Pilot user too. Main benefit for me is the ability to enter OS Grid Ref as destination rather than Post Code or Street Name etc.

Sygic from  playgoogle.com  Download a map and away you go.

Here We Go (free) on an Android phone works OK. Big benefit for me is it invokes the Here satnav app from inside Archie's Campings app. so you don't need to re-enter anything.

Have used the TomTom iPhone app since it was first launched and then it cost, I think, £45.00.

However they stopped supporting it about 2 years ago and the replacement we were all offered free was TomTom Go for mobiles.

It was really, really, awful so I tried some of the free ones for some months but none had the intuitive interface that Tom Tom used to have.

After a year and many complaints from users TomTom finally sorted out their Go version and I have been using it ever since and have free map updates for 3 years. It also has speed camera warning.

But, never rely totally on SatNavs, always double check the route - we have had some interesting 'diversions' over the years, especially in France where we have ended up on tracks with grass growing down the middle.

Use Google maps with Android auto, no problems free, and automatically updates. If you are bothered by data usage download maps before a trip. Found this particularly useful on the US west coast.

Waze will drive you mad, it's good but all the gimmicks and pop ups .... no thanks.

I have CoPilot on an old mini iPad and have written about it on my blog. It has recently been updated and will run on a phone without data use if you wish. 

Posted (edited)

What i would like to know is how to disable speed camera detection as going to france and is a no no.i just got  a new galaxy s10 and even that when playing media alerts me of cameras?:(

Edited by smino0_1

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 21:02, Towtug said:

Use Google maps with Android auto, no problems free, and automatically updates. If you are bothered by data usage download maps before a trip. Found this particularly useful on the US west coast.

Waze will drive you mad, it's good but all the gimmicks and pop ups .... no thanks.

I've done this after first setting and checking the route on the laptop then sending it to my phone, its then listed on the cars nav screen if you have AA, otherwise just use the mobile.

Also AA has the speed cameras now same a Waze.

On 08/08/2018 at 17:29, DACS said:

.... Personally, I would always use a dedicated GPS receiver.   They are not expensive and are designed for the job...

In this case I'm not sure that designed for the job means they are any better, in my experience the computing power of both TomTom and Garmin is very poor when compared to Google maps running on a phone.  

Standalone devices are at a disadvantage simply because they are off-line devices, they don't update mapping details anything like as quick as Google maps; If looking for 'live' traffic info then Google appears to have access to a far more data than TT or Garmin.  I have both TT and Garmin devices with 'live' traffic, but without doubt, I find Google traffic info far more reliable than either of the standalone systems. 

In the not too distant past, I've run a TT device with live traffic and currently run a Garmin device with live traffic. If dealing with a 'live' situation such as a motorway closure due to an accident  Google traffic is my go-to source for reliable traffic info. In my experience, Google traffic has it right every time. 

• Like 1

smino0_1

Why do you want to turn off speed camera 'warnings' in France?

I know speed camera detectors are illegal in France so TomTom and the like cannot warn and display their exact locations but they are allowed to show up 'Speed camera areas', there is no audible warning only screen warnings but still very useful.