Sign in to follow this  
alecsmart

Filling a Safefill

3 hours ago, MrRVW said:

Had these now for approx 18 months. Pleased with the savings, has been a bit of a pain finding places to refill but not impossible.

They are the medium size 7.5 kg which equates to 14.5 lts.

Have noticed on the last refill I managed to put in 16.5 lts and had to stop filling as the pump was not shutting off.

Anyone else had similar experience?

The shut off is on the bottle so it appears you may have a faulty bottle.  I would vent some of that off as it is unlikely the bottle was totally empty as always some residue left.  Contact Safefill as a matter of urgency to discuss the issue.

Thanks for your input.

Have contacted Safefill and they tell me they have had some issues. But are saying that the main problem is with the service stations. They say that the pumps should only deliver to a set back pressure, which is what the bottles also rely on. Some of these pumps are not apparently not calibrated correctly so deliver more liquid than required. They also said in a motor car this is not too much of a problem as the car uses the gas straight away and reduces the levels quickly. 

As to the bottles  yes it can be problematic and suggested as has been stated, that is to vent the excess until you can see the liquid in the transparent section. They did also say that you could just fill the bottle to the top of the transparent section which is the correct level. That defeats the purpose of the shut off valve.

they also said I could return or take back the offending bottle and they would exchange or change the valve mechanism. 

so think when the bottle is empty that’s what I will do.

Thanks for the update.

For those who are interested, Safefill cylinders are now back in stock, just had a 7.5kg delivered.

Edited by Jiffy176
  • Like 1

And I bought one yesterday too. Phoned on the off-chance, and they had arrived the day before.

I was in Birtley. 

On 07/10/2019 at 12:22, MrRVW said:

Thanks for your input.

Have contacted Safefill and they tell me they have had some issues. But are saying that the main problem is with the service stations. They say that the pumps should only deliver to a set back pressure, which is what the bottles also rely on. Some of these pumps are not apparently not calibrated correctly so deliver more liquid than required. They also said in a motor car this is not too much of a problem as the car uses the gas straight away and reduces the levels quickly. 

As to the bottles  yes it can be problematic and suggested as has been stated, that is to vent the excess until you can see the liquid in the transparent section. They did also say that you could just fill the bottle to the top of the transparent section which is the correct level. That defeats the purpose of the shut off valve.

they also said I could return or take back the offending bottle and they would exchange or change the valve mechanism. 

so think when the bottle is empty that’s what I will do.

UPDATE

Have been back to Safefill and had the valve mechanism changed. They still say the main problem is the pump at the service station not being serviced regularly .

They did say when filling listen to the pump, when you start it should pump quickly then when it is nearly full the pump will slow down and should shut off almost immediately. If it does not shut off within a few seconds then let go of the fill button.

Also they said it is better to fill from empty as you can get a better idea of what you are putting in.

So now the valve has been changed we will see how we get on?

The overfill protection is a safety device and should not be used to stop filling.  It's like driving into a brick wall and relying on the airbags!  If I were designing such a cylinder, it would have two, independent systems and, if the second ever operated would render the cylinder unusable until  a factory reset.  I think the whole design philosophy is weak.  I hope more filling stations ban their use.  I wonder how Calor guard against overfilling?

My  Safefill cylinders will not vent unless a pigtail or regulator is screwed into the outlet. This is safety feature to stop gas leaking  from an unconnected  valve.

They must have a pressure relief valve or a bursting disk.

1 hour ago, kelper said:

The overfill protection is a safety device and should not be used to stop filling.  It's like driving into a brick wall and relying on the airbags!  If I were designing such a cylinder, it would have two, independent systems and, if the second ever operated would render the cylinder unusable until  a factory reset.  I think the whole design philosophy is weak.  I hope more filling stations ban their use.  I wonder how Calor guard against overfilling?

Calor fill precisely based upon weight.

Ridiculously expensive though, that's why I'm with Safefill. 

• Like 1