Cupboard Doors Won't Stay Shut

LadyBarbara

I have a 1997 Avondale Malvern which I bought 3 months ago. I have used it once and moved it two or three times before settling it at it's permanent storage spot.

Everytime I move it, no matter how carefully and slowly I drive, the cupboard doors all end up open and the contents end up all over the floor.

Has anyone else had the same problem and if so can you please tell me if there are any gadgets that I can buy to keep them shut.

Thanks

Lady Barbara :unsure:

Hi Lady B, I'm currently doing alot of work for a company that manufactures Race Team hospitality trailers, luxury coach conversions etc and all the doors in these vehicles (as on most newish caravans) use the type of catch that you push to open and push to shut. Trouble is as a retro fit, you would need to carefully drill approx a 18mm hole to accomodate the catch barrel and have a matching striker plate on the carcase. :unsure: Also, from a caravan accesory shop these things cost about £6 each :o BUT they are really effective and seem foolproof.

Failing all this, stronger magnetic catches or roller catches from places like B&Q might do the job?

Maybe someone else can expand on this??

We had the same problem and solved it quite cheaply.

We bought some little metal 'eyes' (the sort you use to hang net curtains) and screwed them in somewhere out of sight.

Whenever we move the van we slip a plastic cable tie through the 'eye' and around the door handle, pulling it tight. This works for us and we have never lost anything from a cupboard since.

Incidentally, a pack of cable ties goes everywhere with us. We have found millions of uses for them. ..........

Fixing windbreaks to fences

Flagpoles to awnings

Emergency 'peg loops'

Hanging stuff inside awnings

The list is endless. .........we never leave home without them.

Cable ties - the best thing ever invented - I agree Karl never leave home without them . ........ I carry a huge box of assorted size and colour ties . ....... there is no end to the list of uses !!

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

Hi

Thanks everyone from me too

Another good tip to-day!

Big bag of cable ties to add to my list.

Bought some new trouser hangers which take 5 items at Ikea the other day - hopefully they will help my storage problem

I have a 1997 Avondale Malvern which I bought 3 months ago.   I have used it once and moved it two or three times before settling it at it's permanent storage spot.

Everytime I move it, no matter how carefully and slowly I drive, the cupboard doors all end up open and the contents end up all over the floor.

Get some magnetic catches and screw them inside the doors.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

• 4 weeks later...
I have a 1997 Avondale Malvern which I bought 3 months ago.   I have used it once and moved it two or three times before settling it at it's permanent storage spot.

Has anyone else had the same problem and if so can you please tell me if there are any gadgets that I can buy to keep them shut.

Thanks

Lady Barbara :unsure:

475[/snapback]

hi go 2 b&q and get some colapsable boxes @£2. 00 each fill them over your axles until you get to site. problem solved and no worktop damage.

hows that.