Sign in to follow this  
djadria

Unicorn -Alde fluid replacement

Fuming!

after paying c £450 for a service and antifreeze fluid replacement to 5yr spec - noticed three lovely protruding bolts denting the side wall outwards!

on investigating - the 3 header tank bolts for the alde fluid has been over tightened - causing three lovely bulges - great!

Note when having yours done make sure you ask them not to over tighten or it will give you this disfigurement!

why would Bailey use bolts long enough to cause this - and they are pointed at the end - almost pierced the fibreglass skin!

i took them out and hacksawed a few mm off each one!

really cross - I know it's only a van - but frustrating when people are so careless - I could have done a better job myself!

DJ

Sorry but you should go straight back to the dealer and demand it be put right. They need to remove the dents and restore your van to normal.

3 minutes ago, staffordshirechina said:

Sorry but you should go straight back to the dealer and demand it be put right. They need to remove the dents and restore your van to normal.

Fully agree.

Make them put the van back to perfect.

I have rectified loads of defects caused by dwarks calling themselves "caravan engineers" on our caravan, I know how you feel. Even though you have shortened the screws I think you should still discuss this with your dealer. If the indentations should develop into holes you will not have much of a case. The idiot who cased it needs to be told off too.

I think I would be fuming about the £450 even if they had done the job properly.   Had a 2nd year service and Alde 5 year fluid change done by my suppling Bailey dealer in June this year. .. total cost £300.

Mark.

Going rate around here £160/£190. ...I am told.

geoff

16 minutes ago, shipbroker said:

Going rate around here £160/£190. ...I am told.

geoff

For which - service or fluid change?

Certainly not both!

Fluid change. ....

I will be paying £240ish for both from my mobile man.

Geoff

Ta Evryone - 

suggest you you saw the tips off these three long screws 1st tho!

😳

DJ

Were the screws the original ones, or a dealer "fix"?

I think original - don't know if designed for Bailey - as have a sort of drill bit on the end so obviously time saving self tapping long screws - but if you over tighten against the rubber gaiters on the tank then I guess long enough to push outer wall out. Can't see myself why they needed to be so long?

:(

And actually these are best far from tight to minimise the noise transmission from the header to what can often be a "sounding board".

Had my Bailey Seville service and fluid change  for £245 by my fantastic mobile engineer

I think mobile engineers sound more attractive especially prices and one to one service!

is yours Bailey recognised MOtor?

On 06/08/2018 at 17:13, djadria said:

I think original - don't know if designed for Bailey - as have a sort of drill bit on the end so obviously time saving self tapping long screws - but if you over tighten against the rubber gaiters on the tank then I guess long enough to push outer wall out. Can't see myself why they needed to be so long?

:(

They have refitted it using tec screws, self drilling and fitted quickly using a cordless drill. Designed primarily for fitting cladding to buildings . Has no place in caravan construction 

So do you think perksm, that the workshop put these in instead of the Alde factory original screws?  If so I'd be even more cross about this?

DJ

4 hours ago, djadria said:

So do you think perksm, that the workshop put these in instead of the Alde factory original screws?  If so I'd be even more cross about this?

DJ

The screws that were fitted are the ones that Bailey's use on every Alde header tank that they fit, I've seen these screw bulges on many vans,  don't know why they don't change them !!

11 hours ago, Flinty said:

The screws that were fitted are the ones that Bailey's use on every Alde header tank that they fit, I've seen these screw bulges on many vans,  don't know why they don't change them !!

Have you ever made your observations known to Bailey? Not that they would care, they’ve been told about AluLeak for years and done nothing to improve it. .

19 hours ago, djadria said:

DJ

I did my own fluid change last autumn and the reservoir wasn’t held in with tec screws, just self tappers.  

3 hours ago, Tuningdrew said:

Have you ever made your observations known to Bailey? Not that they would care, they’ve been told about AluLeak for years and done nothing to improve it. .

I worked at Bailey's for nearly 20 years, they know about the problem & would tell the guy who fitted the tanks not to tighten the screws up too much, he would fit them ok but it become a big issue when he was out sick or on holiday & nobody told the new guy to go careful when screwing up until there was a line full of vans with bulges in the side. If you can post a photo of the screws in your van & I'll tell you if that is a Bailey fix, most of the screws were a very pale green in colour similar to the colour of some decking screws that I've seen.