Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
David Oakley

Bike carriers

Recommended Posts

hi. New to the group. Has anyone fixed a cycle carrier to the rear of a caravan. does anyone sell them and are they difficult to fit. Advice please.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless you know your van is specifically designed to do this, it's not a good idea.

The weight of even one bike, plus carrier is quite a lot for a lightweight wall structure as used on caravans, to hold. And that's before you start going over humps in the road which greatly increase the load temporarily.

It also adds a lot of weight to the extreme end of the van, and is very likely to cause the van to sway when being towed.

 

Have a look around any campsite and you'll see lots of caravans and bikes, but I bet you won't see one caravan with a bike rack on the rear. There's a reason for that - see above.

 

Motor homes are generally OK, but very rarely caravans.

Edited by daveat92

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You really need to check with your van manufacturer to see if the back of the van will support one, where the fixings are if it will and what sort of carrier and what weight it will support.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many of the recently produced caravans have the reinforcement points included in the back wall as standard. Dealers know the dimensions so that carriers can be correctly fitted. Certainly Swift Group have included the blocks for a good few years. Since about 2015 Swift caravans have been made with Thule bike carrier mountings fitted as standard to the rear and the Carriers can be fitted in a few minutes.  

Caravans have a fairly meagre loading allowances so you need to be careful not to exceed the MTPLM (maximum weight), and of coarse the caravan has to be correctly loaded to ensure the nose weight is correct. In the case of our 2 berth Swift Challenger the spare wheel has to be installed in the front gas locker rather than under the floor behind the axle to achieve the balance.

The short answer to your question is - Yes, but be careful to get advice from the dealer before you buy your caravan.  

Edited by Ern

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

 

 

Have a look around any campsite and you'll see lots of caravans and bikes, but I bet you won't see one caravan with a bike rack on the rear. There's a reason for that - see above.

 

Pre fitted on 2018 caravans

Fixing bars for optional Thule Elite G2 rear mounted two cycle rack (you have to purchase the rack). I personally have a folding eBike, which lives in its bag in the rear of the car when in transit!

[EXT]-Challenger-530-Rear-View-[SWIFT][1].jpg

Edited by David P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, daveat92 said:

Unless you know your van is specifically designed to do this, it's not a good idea.

The weight of even one bike, plus carrier is quite a lot for a lightweight wall structure as used on caravans, to hold. And that's before you start going over humps in the road which greatly increase the load temporarily.

It also adds a lot of weight to the extreme end of the van, and is very likely to cause the van to sway when being towed.

 

Have a look around any campsite and you'll see lots of caravans and bikes, but I bet you won't see one caravan with a bike rack on the rear. There's a reason for that - see above.

 

Motor homes are generally OK, but very rarely caravans.

 

I did say "Unless you know your van is specifically designed to do this, it's not a good idea."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not an Elddis is it DO?

 

If so, irrespective of what Elddis might tell me was OK I would not take any notice of them.

 

I was led to believe that my Buccaneer was OK for normal use on UK roads without cracking and breaking up so little chance of hanging a bike rack off its back end!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/07/2018 at 18:17, David Oakley said:

Has anyone fixed a cycle carrier to the rear of a caravan.

does anyone sell them and are they difficult to fit. 

"No I don't sell them" and "No they're not difficult to fit", BUT only fit them once you are assured that the rear wall of the caravan is appropriately reinforced to accept them.

I have had them fitted by the caravan manufacturer and I have also fitted them myself and towed many thousands of totally stable miles with them in use. My preferred make of bike rack for caravans is Fiamma.

You'll find lots of threads in the "Cycling" section of Caravan Talk about this.

Gordon

Bike Rack 10.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, daveat92 said:

 

I did say "Unless you know your van is specifically designed to do this, it's not a good idea."

Yes you did and we heard you the first time without shouting, and no one has disagreed with that particular sentence. Its the rest of your post which is wrong!

There are many caravans with bikes on the back all over Europe. I have never yet seen a caravan rear wall on the road side with a bike attached to it. Motor caravans are generally made with the same body panel materials as caravans so why haven't all the bikes torn the rear ends off them?  You've probably got a microwave oven weighing somewhere similar to a bike hanging on the side of your caravan, so have you added some scaffolding to strengthen it? 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Ern said:

 You've probably got a microwave oven weighing somewhere similar to a bike hanging on the side of your caravan, so have you added some scaffolding to strengthen it? 

 

 

 

If its an Elddis then the microwave cupboard does need scaffolding to support it! Mine had done less than 200 miles from new before the microwave cupboard started coming adrift. After one repair, it is coming off again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Ern said:

Yes you did and we heard you the first time without shouting, and no one has disagreed with that particular sentence. Its the rest of your post which is wrong!

There are many caravans with bikes on the back all over Europe. I have never yet seen a caravan rear wall on the road side with a bike attached to it. Motor caravans are generally made with the same body panel materials as caravans so why haven't all the bikes torn the rear ends off them?  You've probably got a microwave oven weighing somewhere similar to a bike hanging on the side of your caravan, so have you added some scaffolding to strengthen it? 

 

 

Bold letters isn't shouting . THIS IS SHOUTING.

 

I don't have a microwave oven in my van, and even those that do have them located inside the van, not hanging off the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My local dealer (Camping Krings Monchengladbach) refused to fit a rear mounted bike carrier to my previous caravan, the service manager told me it was a bad idea and they weren't willing to take responsibility for any subsequent damage/failure.

I have a tiltable 2 bike Thule carrier on my 'A' Frame instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, daveat92 said:

Bold letters isn't shouting . THIS IS SHOUTING.

STOP SHOUTING! :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Works well on the front but I do have a longer ‘A’ Frame

38AE5034-353F-4690-914C-BADFC7B5F0A6.png

I think it would spoil the look of my caravan if it was rear mounted and as my lounge area is at the back it would restrict the view out.

5D40E946-660F-4FB9-90C3-24665D46F494.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another a framed mount fan here but also have a continental van!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have in the past put a Honda 90 step through in the caravan, when rear wheel failed going down TransPennine motorway two up, however under normal circumstances I would not want to put even a push bike inside the caravan.   Just asking for problems.

 

I have a tow bar bracket as yet unused, at least not this one, did have one before, thought is I want to carry bikes both while towing and with light car, this does both, sure first one came from Towsure, but don't seem to do them any more, so new one is Maypole NBC2040.  

 

Much clearly depends on car and caravan, as yet not tried to see how close when doing tight corner, and car (Kia Sorento) can take the weight.

 

I see Towsure do a range for back of caravan/motor home, but at £270 think Maypole at £40 has an advantage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always put the kids bikes inside wrapped in blankets.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have tried the MayPole NBC2040 now, had to swap bolts around so head next to car not nut, and used old protector to give extra 1/8th inch clearance, without caravan it is an A1 carrier, however there are some issues with caravan connected.

 

1) Too low, even with bike resting between frame and front forks so up an extra 3 inches, one would catch ones hands on the bike when hitching up mainly because size of lever on anti-snake hitch, can put bikes on first, but better put on after caravan which means two people one either side of A frame.

2) If I was to use rear wiper in error it would catch bikes.

3) Reversing I saw bike rise on the rack, so clearly fowled when reversing around a corner, but OK going forward.

 

However it does work, not perfect, but it does work, would be better with front wheel removed so handle bars parallel with back of car, however worried that the disc pads may fall out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/07/2018 at 20:01, David P said:

Pre fitted on 2018 caravans

Fixing bars for optional Thule Elite G2 rear mounted two cycle rack (you have to purchase the rack). I personally have a folding eBike, which lives in its bag in the rear of the car when in transit!

[EXT]-Challenger-530-Rear-View-[SWIFT][1].jpg

 

Hi David, 

 

I don't suppose you know what size of the Thule bike rack the swift sprite Alpine 4 takes do you? 

 

Standard or Short? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Bailey and have tried all ways to transport bikes (2) and have settled on an A frame carrier works great. Needed slight modifications though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...