AHJ

Stolen caravan

Sterling Eccles Coral SE 2014 twin axle stolen 1. 30am Saturday 28 July from Hallen, Bristol. Number plate removed. Please message with any information. Lots of treasured personal items inside.

4D145462-3CA0-4C33-8097-1A98E8730619.jpeg

Sorry to hear, 

Have heard of people finding theirs parked in lay-by within 30 min

looks like the thieves like to do this until they are certain there’s not a tracker. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1

Insured?

Even if the 'van is insured (likely), how does one insure:

On 30/07/2018 at 08:19, AHJ said:

Lots of treasured personal items inside. 

Some things are priceless. ..

The ideal scenario would be 'van and contents recovered but van itself written off as uneconomical to repair and insurance providing a new for old replacement.

AHJ, I hope you get your possessions back and the thieving scum are caught.

My thoughts are with you.

Know exactly how you feel.   We had ours stolen on 1 June and because we were due to go away on the 5th, we had all our stuff inside.   As you said, its not the caravan itself, but the things inside that are priceless.   We've had stuff since we first started out over 30 years ago, and really good quality.   I've now been told that whoever steals them, its more often than not, that its broken up for spare parts, as with cars, its worth more than selling on

Surely a 2014 Swift caravan would have had a Tracker fitted?

10 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Surely a 2014 Swift caravan would have had a Tracker fitted?

But only active if the subscription was continued.

Met a couple at Campbells Caravans who had their caravan stolen a couple of weeks before we had ours stolen.   They had a tracker fitted.   Still not been found.   The people who steal caravans knows exactly where they are fitted, so really no use at all

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

But only active if the subscription was continued.

However the tracking company will still know the location of the caravan even though the subs have not been paid that is of course if the tracker has not been removed.

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

However the tracking company will still know the location of the caravan even though the subs have not been paid that is of course if the tracker has not been removed.

They won't track it without pre-payment of the subscription for the Tracker Retrieve, it would defeat the object of charging for the service. It was payable either annually or the full 5 years up front, 5 years being the internal battery life.

15 hours ago, Legal Eagle said:

They won't track it without pre-payment of the subscription for the Tracker Retrieve, it would defeat the object of charging for the service. It was payable either annually or the full 5 years up front, 5 years being the internal battery life.

Correct but they could take a chance and pay for a year's subscription and the tracker will be activated.   There is a 50/50 possibility that the tracker is still in the caravan

So if they Do old relavant info as to the whereabouts of the van via the treaker. then surely tey have to release it to the police. where or not the subs have been paid?

26 minutes ago, smino0_1 said:

So if they Do old relavant info as to the whereabouts of the van via the treaker. then surely tey have to release it to the police. where or not the subs have been paid?

Unlikely they would be actively tracking a caravan for which no subscription has been paid but even if they were, the data belongs to the tracking company.  

The police would need a warrant to obtain the data is my guess and in this day, age and resource levels, it is easier to issue a crime number than give resources to what the police probably perceive to be a crime with little real prospect of resolution.

I wonder how many caravans are recovered purely on the tracker data anyway?

On 12/08/2018 at 12:28, happynomad said:

Unlikely they would be actively tracking a caravan for which no subscription has been paid but even if they were, the data belongs to the tracking company.  

The police would need a warrant to obtain the data is my guess and in this day, age and resource levels, it is easier to issue a crime number than give resources to what the police probably perceive to be a crime with little real prospect of resolution.

I wonder how many caravans are recovered purely on the tracker data anyway?

Its almost impossible for the police to successfully take to court and get a conviction for caravan theft against a typical caravan thief hence no incentive for the police to pursue-a fact well known to the thieves.

Up here in Bonny Scotland 70% plus of the Scottish population is spread along the M8 between and including Glasgow and Edinburgh.

At one end we thoughtfully provide the M74 to within a 2 hour pull to the Irish ferry.

• Like 1

On 09/08/2018 at 17:53, Legal Eagle said:

This is interesting as at five and a half years old Tracker retrieve told me my subscription was due, in order to keep my tracker active. No renewal charge given, you had to phone them. My query here is, if the battery life is five years, what's the point in renewing?

I just bought a tracker, installed it, and unlike the retrieve, this one will tell me if the caravan moves..

1 minute ago, wigelywoo said:

This is interesting as at five and a half years old Tracker retrieve told me my subscription was due, in order to keep my tracker active. No renewal charge given, you had to phone them. My query here is, if the battery life is five years, what's the point in renewing?

I just bought a tracker, installed it, and unlike the retrieve, this one will tell me if the caravan moves..

After 5 years, if you had wanted to renew they would fit a new tracker and charged for it.