Hi thanks for excepting me to your forum,

I am thinking of adding a cycle rack to my 2011 Eccles Ruby and looking for advice, measurements of where to fix with drawing and instructions if possible.   The best type to fit regarding make, Best website and manufacturer to purchase from/ plus anyone with experience of fitting would be a bonus.  

I know this is a big ask but feel confident some kind person or persons will be able to help.  

Thanks people looking forward to being bombarded with information LOL.

Kind Regards, Colin.

Swift group have fitted reinforced blocks into the rear panels for exactly this purpose for some years. The best source for the precise locations is a a Swift group dealer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Generally the strong point is in line with the top of the rear window of the caravan (if there is one) but always check with the caravan manufacturer first. Take a look in the "Cycling" sub-forum as there are several treads there relating to bike racks but there appears to be a general consensus that the products from Fiamma are well made.

Should you decide to go for that make I may be able to help you as I have a spare one with all of the mountings in our garage but please don't let that bias your choice of make. Send me a PM if you're interested.

BikeRackRialto640-6.jpg

Hi everybody has anybody has towing issues with the weight of the bikes on the back

Hi,

I have always carried our bikes on the towing vehicle rather than on our caravan. Previously on a Volvo V70 on roof mounted carriers, and now on our VW T5 on the cycle carrier on the back of that.   This means you don't add the weight of the bikes to the weight of the caravan, with caravan payloads usually being limited. It also means that you can transport your bikes on the car when you are pitched up, should you want to cycle from somewhere other than the site you are staying at.

On 12/10/2018 at 10:54, Kwhittaker said:

Hi everybody has anybody has towing issues with the weight of the bikes on the back

Yes. We have fitted rear cycle racks to several caravans but there was one long body caravan on a single axle and that was noticeably less stable than our longer bodied caravans on two axles, also with rear bike racks.

The SA caravan was still acceptably stable but there was a distinct difference when compared with the TA ones.

Gordon 

I used a Maypole on the hitch which mounts behind the ball, not ideal, reversing I have seen bikes rise so clearly fouled something, but OK forward, also 400 kg limit means although it says three bikes, with larger bikes or ebikes two is the limit. With my car too high for roof but also no problem with weight on hitch, but really does depend on car.

6 hours ago, ericmark said:

I used a Maypole on the hitch which mounts behind the ball, not ideal, reversing I have seen bikes rise so clearly fouled something, but OK forward, also 400 kg limit means although it says three bikes, with larger bikes or ebikes two is the limit. With my car too high for roof but also no problem with weight on hitch, but really does depend on car.

I feel a typo has come in here; you meant 40 Kgs , not 0. 4 tonnes?

Posted (edited)

We had a cycle rack fitted to our 2016 conqueror . It looked great but  found it wasn’t very stable on the road and fuel consumption dropped .  (towing with a diesel 2 litre xtrail )

Changed to Thule roof carrier -much better .

Edited by Purple52

Put them inside the van

Have an A frame mounted carrier, simple cheapest fiamma one very good

This is from a 2013 swift. 

It shows the strengthening points. 

Mike

Screenshot_20190602_192944_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

On 02/06/2019 at 15:54, Purple52 said:

We had a cycle rack fitted to our 2016 conqueror . It looked great but  found it wasn’t very stable on the road and fuel consumption dropped .  (towing with a diesel 2 litre xtrail )

Changed to Thule roof carrier -much better .

We must all choose what we're comfortable with using. Personally I prefer the bikes on the rear wall of the caravan as they're out of the way  on site, and en route do not interfere with the tailgate opening or increase the overall height of the outfit. As far as fuel consumption goes, I have never noticed a change whether the bikes were on the back or not (petrol/LPG, Jeep Grand Cherokees or Kia Sorento 4x4s and various Volvo estates)