Recently bought Lunar Freelander 524, I’m wanting to buy a hitchlock, but I’m unsure on the type. Took a photo to a caravan accessory place, but they can’t assist without the model. Does anyone know where to find the model details please, thanks

What year is your caravan - the hitch should be an Alko  AKS 3004 so plenty of hitchlocks to suit.

Alan

After more than 35 years caravanning changed to motorhome for 5 years and loved it but now back in the fold of caravanning but still miss our motorhome.

Kia Sorento KX3 Auto and 2018 Coachman VIP 520 Special Edition 

If your hitch looks like this Al-Ko AKS3004 - which it probably does, based on a quick google search for Lunar Freelander 524 images:

IMG_0339.JPG.0b5320b17bbf17c03513c60caae0c011.JPG:

and you showed a photo of it to your local accessory shop, you perhaps need to go to another accessory shop.

Google 'hitch locks for alko AKS3004'... there is quite a number to choose from at a range of different prices.

The above is about £90 off eBay

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Don't touch the product named for the flying apparatus of a common seabird.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Don't think it's the right hitchlock for the hitch shown anyway, I may be wrong tho.

Defender 90  cruising along with a Coachman Laser 640/4.  :)

Apart from being "accepted" by some insurers, hitch locks are little more than "cosmetic" anti theft deterrents.

Even a bit of good strong rag knotted around them and the with knotted ends jammed in the rear doors of a white van they can whip your van away in seconds, indeed locks can help to get a better grip.

1 hour ago, JTQ said:

Apart from being "accepted" by some insurers, hitch locks are little more than "cosmetic" anti theft deterrents.

Even a bit of good strong rag knotted around them and the with knotted ends jammed in the rear doors of a white van they can whip your van away in seconds, indeed locks can help to get a better grip.

I don't think this ALKO hitchlock is cosmetic and will take an angle grinder awhile to get off.   We have one on our caravan and hope we never lose the keys!  :D  See HERE.

8 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

I don't think this ALKO hitchlock is cosmetic and will take an angle grinder awhile to get off.   We have one on our caravan and hope we never lose the keys!  :D  See HERE.

"They" of course don't need to take it off to seal the van, then they can do the getting it off bit at their leisure, using probably an angle grinder or a burner of sorts.

I am happy enough describing an anti theft device that gives very little deterrent to theft, as "cosmetic".

Edited by JTQ

I think the point is that hitch locks on their own will not stop your van being stolen if someone wants it.  A length of rope or a ratchet strap or chain wrapped round the hitch and lock, and the caravan is secured to a vehicle and away in seconds.  

The only thing they have any advantage for is if they are used to  lock the van to the towing vehicle while parked up, or to lock it to a hitch on a post concreted into the ground in storage.  

Even at their best, most of them will only delay someone with a decent crowbar for a very short time.  

Fact, locks only keep honest people out. Fact 2 any locking device only really acts as a deterrent, and the more and better deterrents you have decreases the chances of your stuff getting stolen. Most crooks are lazy and if its easier to steal someone elses stuff rather than yours, thats what they will go for, so Id certainly not be put off fitting a hitch lock, but Id also want other deterrents such as a wheel lock and anything else you may deem useful. Your van might still get nicked, but you can take some small comfort that you made the idle slobs work a bit for it.

20 minutes ago, Alexbee said:

Fact, locks only keep honest people out. Fact 2 any locking device only really acts as a deterrent, and the more and better deterrents you have decreases the chances of your stuff getting stolen. Most crooks are lazy and if its easier to steal someone elses stuff rather than yours, thats what they will go for, so Id certainly not be put off fitting a hitch lock, but Id also want other deterrents such as a wheel lock and anything else you may deem useful. Your van might still get nicked, but you can take some small comfort that you made the idle slobs work a bit for it.

In addition to the ALKO solid hitchlock in the link above we also fit the two ALKO secure locks.   As said it is a deterrent and better than nothing.

5 hours ago, JTQ said:

Your quite right JTQ i watched a guy at my storage remove one  as his son had lost the key it was the same as icepuffin has shown took 30 seconds with a crow bar each side it just snapped the small lugs off i was amazed he then informed me that all the gold secure do was  test the lock not the  getting the whole apparatus off which seems a bit of a con to me as the way its advertised it give the impression that the whole thing is tested.

Edited by Flynn
  • 2 weeks later...

look at bulldog heavy duty locks.   I have been advised to stay away from alko locks as they are susceptible to a type of theft that's more common than trying to rip the lock off.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2015 BMW 330d Touring Xdrive pulling A 2014 Bailey Unicorn S2 Cadiz