Sign in to follow this  
Wunny

window and locker seals

Mods:  I couldn't find a topic place for this, so have slipped it in here.

My Pursuit and I dare say every other Bailey, has a sticker on the inside of the battery compartment door, that says to regularly give the rubber seals a coating of silicone.

Now, I would have thought that would be a service item, but apparently not, as mine are as dry as a witches ***. 

Last weekend, with temperatures up in the 30's°C, I opened up the front roof light and the rubber seal stuck to the panel and pulled out.   It was extremely tacky to touch!

I work with rubber protective items, some of which date back to 1945 and a dusting with Talc / French chalk stops all that stickiness and keeps them in good condition.

So which to use, talc or silicone?  I have lots of Talc and no silicone!!:rolleyes:

I use a "roll on" type application that VW sell to do the cars rubber door seals.

Can't find a link to a picture at the moment but it is available from VW dealers about £7 or so.

I find it less wasteful than spraying with silicone spray.

Ian

• Like 1

Probably Krytox (expensive) or Gummi Pfledge (cheaper).

John

I use plenty of Halfords silicone spray on a soft cloth, not directly to the rubber. It's an annual event but been putting it off in this heat.

I also wipe over the window area that's in contact with the rubber seal with meths.

I use a silicon spray on a cloth too,  silicon is handy to have around and good for the toilet blade and mechanism.

My caravan kitchen tap started leaking last weekend while at the food & drink festival, I was going to fit a new tap until I saw the price (insert Yorkshire war cry) and the tiny  space that I had to get my big hands in to couple everything up.  So I took it to bits and gave it a squirt with WD40s then reassembled using silicon grease, its stopped the leak and made everything free again, it was getting a bit stiff anyway.

The other thing that is usually recommended for rubber (especially seals located beneath where the sun does not shine. ....) is a thin smear of virgin olive oil. I have used it on said seal and on locker seals for some years and it works well. It also has the advantage of of displacing water if there is any minor ingress on door seals.

On 27/07/2018 at 07:56, Paul_B said:

I use a silicon spray on a cloth too,  silicon is handy to have around and good for the toilet blade and mechanism.

My caravan kitchen tap started leaking last weekend while at the food & drink festival, I was going to fit a new tap until I saw the price (insert Yorkshire war cry) and the tiny  space that I had to get my big hands in to couple everything up.   So I took it to bits and gave it a squirt with WD40s then reassembled using silicon grease, its stopped the leak and made everything free again, it was getting a bit stiff anyway.

Thetford say only to use their own stuff (which they would do), or Olive Oil.

:Thankyou: for the suggestions folks :)