Sign in to follow this  
Madaboutakitas

Seasonal pitching

A few friends of ours have decided to no longer tow their Caravans but put them on a permanent site

and just travel back and forth to

it just  wonder if anyone on here have decided to do that and how it works for them 

maureen 

I can't recall having been on a site where I'd want to keep going back to it every time I wanted to get away.    For me, caravanning is all about seeing new places.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This year for our weekend aways we have done exactly this.

We still take it off site for our "week/s" holidays, but being able to go away every weekend without towing, setting up, arrive when we want (8am) it's hugely beneficial.

Our chosen site is less than one hours drive from home, which I would say having friends whose van is over two hours drive, doesn't make going a chore.

Our pitch has water/drain connections, so it's like going to a little house!

We would like an all year round site, so maybe next year we will move it.

So far this year we have spent 33 nights at the seasonal site, oh and Bank Holidays no panic about booking early, cause your already there!

• Thanks 1

We're new to caravanning but decided to go straight for the Seasonal pitch option!!

It's great - our van is an hour away from home and in a lovely spot. It's like going on a mini holiday most weekends. So relaxing!! We're going up for our two weeks holiday very soon - no boredom about visiting the same place here!!

Chezzy

• Thanks 1

That's what my friend says easy to just get up and go but hubby says the fun of having a Caravan is to go different places maybe once hubby decides not to tow any more then maybe we will site it but finding the right site with things to do is a must 

like many people I know I have not seen a site I would like to stay long term thanks 

for your help 

We have had a seasonal pitch for three years now. We can still take it away if we want - took it to  France last year. It isn't a case of either/or.

Advantages are that it is always there, stocked with some food basics and with the full awning up. Its just 90 minutes away in Wales - so we have plenty to explore. We can just come and go as we please. We treat it like a country cottage. We would have to pay storage to have it sitting somewhere doing nothing - this way we can use it.

There is nothing stopping us going away to explore other areas either with or without the caravan - a couple of weeks age we took the motorbike for a three day trip down through central wales to the Brecon Beacons staying in B&Bs. We are retired so we spend two or three nights a week there - usually midweek to miss the crowds.

• Like 1

What about a store n stay site?

We stored our van at Wheathill, nr Ludlow for the last two years. The storage cost was very close to the price for storage near home.

They charged a fiver each time they pulled the van from store but it included positioning and levelling and return to store. 

You can still go off touring, providing you stay at Wheathill for a minimum number of nights per year.

That's got flexibility without the rather high cost of a seasonal pitch. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not heard of a store and stay site where do you find them it's not cheap to keep our van on a farm storage but will insurance companies insure the caravan if left on a site all the time? That would worry me 

7 minutes ago, Madaboutakitas said:

Not heard of a store and stay site where do you find them it's not cheap to keep our van on a farm storage but will insurance companies insure the caravan if left on a site all the time? That would worry me 

Insurers should be ok as long as they know where it's being kept.

Stowford Meadows in North Devon do various store/stay deals.

We're thinking of seasonal next year, in the part of the country we go to most often, because of my poor health. The downside is same every time but the alternative is to give up! We'll tow off once or twice in the year and maybe use some Premier Inns for weekend breaks to get the variety.

A benefit of doing a seasonal pitch is if you’re considering a static van, it gives you a chance to try before committing a lot of money.

We’ve stored and pitched at the  same site for coming on 3 years now. Suits us as we don’t tow. Cheaper than seasonal pitch.

Its each to their own isnt it,im not interested in towing our twin axle down the motorway! We have it stored and they bring it out for us,never get bored of the same site and use it as a base to go to various places-cant wait for the weekend!!

Does amuse me that not all, but many permanently sited caravans seem to fall into a 'type',  Usually in good need of a clean with a makeshift kitchen in the saggy awning, surrounded by plant pots and garden gnomes. Each to his own I suppose. ...

I still work full time and whilst we have done our fair share of weekends away we do find seasonal pitching much easier.

If we were still touring, Friday evening would be wasted hitching up, travelling to a site and pitching up. Quite often it would be dark by then so we would settle down in the van. Saturday would be the only real time to enjoy your break because Sunday morning would be clean up, sort out, hitch up and leave the site by 10 or 11am,12 noon (if your lucky).

Now we turn up plug in the electric and we are sorted until Sunday evening when we can return home with the roads being relatively quiet.

I will be retiring soon so our options will change but until then we are staying put.

• Like 2

We were talking to a couple who have a season pitch and they said the same, they get home Friday get washed and changed and travel around 40mins to the caravan, as they're traveling they order their meal at the pub across from the site.  

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this