Sign in to follow this  
robf1234

food to take to france ?

hi off for our first trip to France in a few weeks. i was just thinking about what i should take (if anything)  what is expensive that we could take in the fridge, ,freezer,,?  

We only take the sort of thing you'll struggle to find in France like ketchup, M&S caramelised onion mayonnaise, marmite etc. Everything else is available locally plus a lot of new things to try! 

• Like 1

Yorkshire tea.

original.png

• Like 5

Tea bags and breakfast cereals, with food to make meals if we are travelling for a few days, as in this year we had 3 continuous days travelling to Austria.

John.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Czech connection said:

Yorkshire tea.

original.png

. .....and perhaps a pack or two of bacon.

geoff

If you freeze a bottle of milk it will help keep the fridge cold while on the ferry and can be used when thawed out.

If you like Bran Flakes, take some with you - we hunted in many areas & could only find ones that had chocolate bits with them!

In the store cupboard Yorkshire tea bags are a must for my hubby plus marmite and salad cream. In the freezer I take a few home cooked meals to cut down on the cooking [we go for six weeks and can't afford to eat out much] and he is fussy about his sausages and bacon so I take sausages for barbecues in the freezer and bacon in the fridge. We usually have at least a couple of days journey to our first long stay site so I take enough food not to need to shop for those days, and, dare I say it, enough wine to last us for those days too.

After that shopping for food is fun and not a chore like here.

Have a great time.

Edited by LongTimeCaravaner

We have just come back from a 7 week holiday in France and would say that the cost of food has increased this year and not just from a exchange rate point of view. Meat is at least double the cost of what it is in the UK and even the humble chicken is quite costly and even the once cheap pork you could buy has gone up in price.

We have always taken meat with us and freeze it at home in flat packs and this makes it easy to stack in the freezer compartment in the caravan. We do the same with fish as this too is extremely expensive compared to ours.

We shop in France at various places from the big supermarket, Lidl, Aldi and of course the markets, so always on the look out for something that is a reasonable price and is good. Fruit and veg are again more expensive but as they are perishable you just have to buy when you need them and the quality is not as good as home, but he ho we are in France and on holiday so what is the problem with that. We wonder how the French survive on their pensions as shopping for food is expensive as are clothes and no, the markets are not cheap. Bread is expensive but far better than we have at home and we were paying about 1. 50 euros a day for the one we like a small loaf (Campagne - although it is different in all areas of France).

So, all in all try to stock up at home with meat and fish that you like and put that in the freezer. For the rest just buy it local and sample the delights of French food and blow the expense.

Alan

Edited by AlanS
  • Like 2

We just take tea and coffee and cereal.

Having flown to so many faraway destinations without taking any food at all I tend to do the when going abroad with the caravan, but my wife empties the fridge at home and sneaks a few things in before we set off.  

• Like 1

Although its not very likely, if you do get stopped by French border control and they check what you are carrying they will impound any uncooked meats such as bacon and you may get fined for trying to make illegal imports.

9 hours ago, Woodentop said:

Although its not very likely, if you do get stopped by French border control and they check what you are carrying they will impound any uncooked meats such as bacon and you may get fined for trying to make illegal imports.

hi thanks for all the great ideas, , has anyone had there meat taken from them i didn't realize it was not allowed ?

We are still in the EU, of course you can take it.

I think there are still health issues with certain meat and poultry products imported to France. When we had the avian flu in Norfolk restrictions  were put in place and I think they are still there. It’s not just poultry though. I think it was a bother French fudge of the rules and most people ignored it anyway. We asked The Caravan Club at the time thinking they would know the facts, but hey knew nothing (they still don’t know anything - about anything!) We asked DEFRA and they knew all about it but couldn’t advice us what foods were affected.  Anyway,  we just carried on as normal on our next trip. I wouldn’t worry about it and just take whatever you like.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, robf1234 said:

i was just thinking about what i should take (if anything)  what is expensive that we could take in the fridge, ,freezer,,?  

When in France we eat French food, so only take enough from home for the first day or two. Thereafter it's local food - ie whatever's on offer at the local markets.

Gordon.

11 hours ago, AlanS said:

Fruit and veg are again more expensive but as they are perishable you just have to buy when you need them and the quality is not as good as home

I'm astonished you say that. Even fruit in French supermarkets is far better than in the supermarkets in the UK, where things like peaches and apricots are like bricks. But buy fruit from a French market and it's like being in heaven!

Admittedly it has to be eaten within a few days but that just means another delightful trip to the market.

As for bread, the standard baguette is still €0. 90 as it has been for years - I believe they are price controlled. Again need to be eaten when fresh but the morning cycle to the boulangerie is another of life's treats.

I don't believe that in general French food is much more expensive unless you insist on buying what you would in Britain.

• Thanks 2

We take sausages and bacon enough for 8 breakfasts.   The French have no concept of bacon and we find in general that their sausages are too salty for our tastes.   We also take our Yorkshire tea and Kenco decaf coffee.   We noticed on a trip last month through France that the price of a number of goods had jumped up quite a bit.   We assume it is because the cost of fuel has gone up considerably which has forced up the price of goods?

Only take tea/coffee/sugar.   Everything else, we buy over there as and when we need it.   When in Rome. .. as they saying goes:D

For me, when I visit another country, I will eat what they eat.   If I wish to eat English food, I will stay in this country.  

• Like 2

Yorkshire Gold Tea

HP Sauce

Kellogs Crunchy Nuts 

Marmalade

And that is about it, these are items that we have never ever found in France/Spain/Germany/Italy and are the first things on our check list, if we forget them, we have a grumpy holiday

Have a great holiday

• Like 1

15 hours ago, robf1234 said:

hi off for our first trip to France in a few weeks. i was just thinking about what i should take (if anything)  what is expensive that we could take in the fridge, ,freezer,,?  

Don't forget that in Châtelaillon-Plage they have a market twice a week in the mornings and you can buy loads of fresh food there.   The Carrefour is only 4 miles away and about 1/2 mile from the LIDL store.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AlanS said:

Meat is at least double the cost of what it is in the UK

I have to visit the UK in a couple of weeks, so can you tell me where I can get butcher cut to size Ribeye steak for 10. 50€ a kilo please.

Or chickens for less than 3€ or pork steaks for less than 7€ a kilo.

To the OP, the only things we now bring back to France are tea bags (French 'English Breakfast' tea is individually wrapped so fairly expensive but is as good as real English tea), pork scratchings and bottles of Marston's Pedigree.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Lost in France said:

I have to visit the UK in a couple of weeks, so can you tell me where I can get butcher cut to size Ribeye steak for 10. 50€ a kilo please.

Or chickens for less than 3€ or pork steaks for less than 7€ a kilo.

To the OP, the only things we now bring back to France are tea bags (French 'English Breakfast' tea is individually wrapped so fairly expensive but is as good as real English tea), pork scratchings and bottles of Marston's Pedigree.

We have never come across steak for anywhere near €10. 50 a kilo or for chickens at €3.   We must be using the wrong supermarkets as we thought the price of chicken was nearly double the price in UK.   Had Ribeye once in the UK and never again so never bought it in France.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

We have never come across steak for anywhere near €10. 50 a kilo or for chickens at €3.   We must be using the wrong supermarkets as we thought the price of chicken was nearly double the price in UK.   Had Ribeye once in the UK and never again so never bought it in France.

I pay 21€ a kilo for all types of steak, except fillet,  AlanS said that was was twice the UK price therefore I want to know where I can get steak in the UK for 10. 50€ a kilo.

Lidl regularly sell whole chickens for 3€.

• Like 1

There is no need to lug a load of food with you other than enough to get you to your destination. If you can't find a favourite, try something else!

• Like 2