JCloughie

Sutton Bank Again

Was this not last year?

Mark

Seized for not having the correct licence .    Well they had it coming then ?

Not towed up it but drove my MH up it a couple of months ago .

Article June 17 .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

It was. June '17

Didn’t know that, I should’ve thought to look, it was just posted on another forum, still happened though.

Wonder how it was resolved?  I like that they seized the vans, otherwise they may have disappeared.

John

Edited by JCloughie

Discussed at length last year - see here.

John

Edited by Johnaldo

4 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

Discussed at length last year - see here.

John

Well done Johnaldo.  I even remember reading it, (now).

John

• Haha 1

It has got to the stage where even lorries are going to be banned. ..we were up there, as almost neighbours, last month and a car transporter was broken down on  the lower Thirsk side. ....the queue behind was a nightmare. The previous trip, for tea at the Gliding School, there was a horse box behind a Nissan twin cab which was struggling. ......but the caravan route through Ampleforth isn't great for lorries,coaches etc. ..

geoff

The problem is what is now becoming common - blindly following a satnav.

We drove down SB on 6th June and saw a Disco pulling a horsebox with a horse in it going up. If caravans are banned why are not all trailers being hauled by a van or car or something like?

For those that don't know it the steepest part is the 'hump' a few hundred metres below the bend, not the hill itself. We have had car transporters loose vehicles on that bit several times in the last few years. The worst bit from a haulage aspect is the bend itself which, due high levels of green growth this year, is now effectively blind. Artics and coaches need to take the bend wide when going uphill and vehicles of any size driving down can't see them until the cab pops up round the corner.

Edited by Woodentop

Agree above. ....Followed a horsebox, not a towed one, which suffered and we were in bottom for last bit of hill. ...did he pull in at the top?  Did he heck. ....we were stuck behind him all the way to Duncombe Park turnoff in Helmsley.

geoff

Yes it’s not for the faint hearted even driving a car solo. Visited Thirsk last year and went a run up to see if had improved since my previous trip more than 30 years ago when I had missed the first sign banning caravans.

Fortunately my missus had spotted it so we turned well before the Bank.

I was driving a V8 Vitesse at the time but even with that I wouldn’t have attempted it.

Mind you, the view from the top is worth the effort, especially if you are a photographer and it is getting near sunset!

Pity the National Park insist on charging silly prices to park, like £2. 50 for 2 hours or £4. 50 for over 2 hours <and> IIRC it is 24/7!!!!! Clearly they are only interested in walkers who want to stay the whole day.

D'oh!

If you go down the road to the gliding club you get a plastic cup of tea for 50p and watch take-off and landings too. ...Caravan park right next door but you would have to go long way round to get there!

Geoff

15 hours ago, Woodentop said:

. ..................................

We drove down SB on 6th June and saw a Disco pulling a horsebox with a horse in it going up. If caravans are banned why are not all trailers being hauled by a van or car or something like?

Like a lot of other big 4x4s the Disco has a low range gear box which allows for much higher towing weight limits, albeit at a reduced speed.

5 hours ago, onewheelonmywagon said:

Like a lot of other big 4x4s the Disco has a low range gear box which allows for much higher towing weight limits, albeit at a reduced speed.

Believe me that guy was never in low ratio - he was doing I would guess over 30 when he passed me. I was just questioning the principle - if a caravan is banned why is not a horsebox or car trailer or similar?

Actually, does a modern Disco (this was a 16 plate) have a LR box? I thought it was all done electronically these days.

Edited by Woodentop

Yes, the latest Discos have a low range box (aka transfer box). You need to put the auto gearbox into neutral before you can change between high and low ratios.

For me this means I have 18 gear ratios to choose from, including reverse.